Brothers from OZ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Brothers from OZ...

Post by Griff »

I recently read on another forum:
Saw one of these. SN says 1966. Owners said he was told it was part of a limited batch meant for Australian market. Anyone ever see one of these? It was new to my eyes.
AFAIK, the first mdl 94s offered in a pistol caliber were catalogued in 1967, & noted that they would be available "...Summer, 1967..." This was the .44Mag version and only offered thru 1969. There were a couple of commemoratives during the '70s that were chambered in .44-40. Other than those, no pistol caliber mdl 94s were made in Top Eject form. The .357 was a 94AE when it was introduced, IIRC. I know, because I thought about one and having it reamed for .357 Max.

My question to you Aussies, would guns imported from the States have to be "Proofed" in OZ during the mid-late '60s, as they would if imported to England? And would they be so stamped? If so, where?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Brothers from OZ...

Post by peter richards »

Griff,
Not that I know of mate. We see a lot of british proofed stuff that has come thru from England. I just got in a Model 63 Winchester that had British Proof Marks as well as being marked on the barrel & receiver NOT BRITISH MADE .
Older models will often have the importers mark like JR for James Rosier of Melbourne. Others were marked in the Winchester factory The Stinger, or the Daisy Rifle for different importers.
I have an old 94 in 44 mag, but there are not many around.
Pete
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Brothers from OZ...

Post by Pop Watts »

Hi Griff,
We see a fair few top eject 94's in 44-40 here in Australia.
Some also in 44mag.
There is a 44-40 listed for sale now on usedguns.com.au - look under lever/blackpowder.
Serial number is listed as 4275160.
Australia has never had a proof house, we are just happy to have any guns at all down here.
Cheers.
Pop.