Remington R-51 Production Update

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Remington R-51 Production Update

Post by Pete44ru »

As anyone here may/may not know, after a huge introduction program for it last year, Remington discontinued production of their new 9mm Luger R-51 autoloading pistol until the several glitches/issues with the gun could be resolved.

Remington Customer Service yesterday stated that Remington has made the decision to postpone new R-51 production until they have moved the facilities from NY to Huntsville, Al - with production tentatively begining in April 2015.

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Remington R-51 Production Update

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

They are a cool looking little gun. To bad they are not reliable. I was thinking of picking one up for a while until they were recalled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My dinky sampling is not scientific, but an early 80s 22 bolt (53?) that fell apart in my hands, and an older Centerfire Bolt in .35 Whelen that would fire when dropped on the butt, plus DoDo .22 rimfire, and how they screwed up Marlin? I have zero use for anything Remington :evil: :evil:

KelTec, and Ruger are bulletproof low-end shooters....best stick with known quality.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

As a long time Remington fan these latest quality failures are very disappointing. Two of my best .22's are an early 60's 511X and a late sixties plain jane 552 and it makes me sad that they've forgotten how to do that. I haven't had the ammo problems others have but I don't doubt the issues they've seen. Then again with a .22 ammo stock somewhere north of 5K I'm not sure that I've shot any late Rem .22.

I liked the looks of the R-51 but plan to look elsewhere for a pistol of that type.

Post by Hagler »

Pete,

Thanks for the update.

It realy is too bad that Remington cannot do things like they used to. Here is a Remington Factory film, from 1969:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee5Wn7KlFoc

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hagler wrote:Pete,
Thanks for the update.
It realy is too bad that Remington cannot do things like they used to....
Shawn
+1. and here I was... thinking of picking one of these up...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IMO, things might improve @ Remington - I bought a 1911R1 a few years ago (since gifted to my oldest Grandson) that's been trouble-free, despite various internet gripers to the contrary.

I put a few thousand rounds of both hardball & SD ammo through it, and I'm sure my Grandson's added to it's round count.

Remington will most likely get it's act together on the R-51 - but I wouldn't buy one when they're first re-introduced, (I'd suggest waiting until we see how the public/beta-testers make out ;) )

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'd volunteer to be a beta-tester, if I didn't have to pay for it! :twisted: :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I hope they figure out what's wrong and make them run like they should. The Lady handled one when they first came out and was itching to get one by the time they were recalled. We've put a bit over 18000 rounds through my R1 and love the thing.

Eric
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Was kinda looking at this gun to be my next CCW, but seeing as it fell on the rocks, got my XDm instead. :|
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I was in the process of getting one from Remington for building holsters when they were recalled, but I was cautiously optimistic about this pistol, knowing both the design and also the philosophies of the Freedom Group.

When I first saw them, and then handled several at SHOT Show, I was well disappointed by the look and feel of the thing - everything about them looked and felt cheep, even though a lot of that was just superficial. I hope they get the thing right.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

I hate to say it, but the last Remington firearm purchased by anyone in our family was my Dad's Model 700 bought new back in the 60's.

The latest 700's have been somewhat disappointing. They just don't feel as solid and sturdy as Pop's 30-06.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

The only Remington in the safe is the one my dad bought for me in the spring of 1953. A 22 auto 550-1. About 25 years ago I had a new firing pin put in.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

I might still buy one, since the Pederson action is a neat idea.

But I've been looking at subcompacts lately, and found that I really don't care for the single stack grips. Been shooting my Browning Hi Powers too long I guess.

So instead I'm looking at buying a PX4 Subcompact. If I do that the R51 may get a pass even if they get the terd polished.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Looks like Remington has stepped in it again with QC (quality control), they've now a shotgun recall:

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and ... el887.aspx

All this is indicative of a much larger problem. Remington as we know it is dead, gone, just a memory. The suits have taken over and brought it to this. (ask me about dealing with people who know so much better than I how to run a business!)

Remember the 870 shotgun? Darn near cop-proof. 700PSS? Great rifle. The Nylon .22 series? Loved the technology.

I've seen enough stories on all their many latest screw-ups and several stories on how badly they've treated various business partners. Needless to say, it's gonna be a cold icy day in the netherworld before I buy another Remington product new.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

From the link you posted:
Remington has determined that some Remington Model 887™ shotguns manufactured between December 19, 2013 and November 24, 2014 may exhibit a defect causing the firing pin to bind in the forward position within the bolt, which can result in an unintentional discharge when chambering a live round. While Remington has the utmost confidence in the design of the 887™ shotgun, it is undertaking this recall in the interest of consumer safety.
So if the design is good, but the firing pin sticks forward bad enough to slam-fire, what could be the cause?
If you said shoddy workmanship you are probably the winner!
Last edited by 7.62 Precision on Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

7.62 Precision wrote:From the link you posted:

Anyone for a full-auto 12 gauge? :D

Two serious issues here - first a shotgun that doubles or goes full-auto is pretty scary - it will be hard for most to control. Secondly, there is already a court decision supporting the ATFE's stance that if you have a firearm, (even a double barrel shotgun) that fires two or more rounds with a single trigger pull as the result of an unintentional malfunction, they consider you in possession of an unregistered machine gun.
I believe the 887's a pump gun. They can't even get that right anymore!
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

True, that and it was supposed to be an *improvement* to the 870. The 'full-auto- argument may still apply to slam-fires.

Regardless, as the other posted pointed out, this is a quality control screw up. Big time.

Now I'm willing to cut anybody slack, we all make mistakes.

Remington management seems to be unconcerned with how many. Transitioning Marlin was a joke. The R-51 rollout was a disaster. Now this.

And you'll note they all revolve around one central issue. They. Cannot. Do. Quality. Work.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

This just in... Generalissimo Francisco Franco still dead.
Slow is just slow.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

airedaleman wrote: I believe the 887's a pump gun. They can't even get that right anymore!
Ooops! I misread the model number. If a pump shotgun went full-auto, that WOULD be a bad problem! :lol:
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

wecsoger wrote: And you'll note they all revolve around one central issue. They. Cannot. Do. Quality. Work.
This is the same outfit that had to get bailed out with Chrysler. From the very beginning their plan was to buy firearms companies and bring the cost of manufacturing down to increase profits. Their whole philosophy is about cutting corners.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Generalissimo Francisco Franco still dead

Arcane cultural reference...