.380 penetration test

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

.380 penetration test

Post by Grizz »

I really like watching this kind of stuff. It's therapeutic. Hope no one is so silly as to carry the tiny and anemic .380 ACP. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhfKSXWLNxg

reality check

Grizz
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Re: .380 penetration test

Post by m.wun »

I guess its better than a pointy stick!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

m.wun wrote:I guess its better than a pointy stick!
I have one of those also :lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Some that think they know, have never tried :wink: This certainly dispels the theory that one needs the "nostril shot" with the .380 :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

it's funny how the weak sister seems to be purty and purty capable, except at the BBQ
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:it's funny how the weak sister seems to be purty and purty capable, except at the BBQ
I'd be an idiot if I said my LCP was a stronger performer than my G30S..Actually, one of the most comfortable EDC mouseguns I have is the 8 shot .22 AirLite J-Frame...It's utter lack of recoil makes a torso triple tap easy and fairly accurate.....I may look into a good shoulder rig that would hide the Glock under my vest, or jacket.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That's an interesting video for sure. I'm still working on my own 380 ballistic gel penetration tests, just a matter of finding the time to do it. I've cast some of the Ranch Dog bullets out of some softer alloy that I need to try out.

Blaine, I sold my G36, and miss it more than I thought I would. I'm thinking of getting another one, or maybe the G30, You have had both, correct? Which do you prefer?
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

TedH wrote:That's an interesting video for sure. I'm still working on my own 380 ballistic gel penetration tests, just a matter of finding the time to do it. I've cast some of the Ranch Dog bullets out of some softer alloy that I need to try out.

Blaine, I sold my G36, and miss it more than I thought I would. I'm thinking of getting another one, or maybe the G30, You have had both, correct? Which do you prefer?
I have a G30S, I had a G36 I let go to an Ex SIL (may his testicles turn black and drop off :lol: ) I think the G36 with the narrower single stack fit me better. It's a toss up. The extra mag capacity of the 30S is pretty awesome. I shot the G36 more accurately. I carried it deer hunting and regularly shot grouse with it (the 230 hardball didn't harm meat much).

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I have coonfingered a 30 at my local store, and the wider frame didn't bother me, however I haven't shot one. I liked the 36, but the extra 4 rounds of the 30 is probably enough to tilt me in that direction. But 90% of the time I have the G42 in my front pants pocket anyway.
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

TedH wrote:I have coonfingered a 30 at my local store, and the wider frame didn't bother me, however I haven't shot one. I liked the 36, but the extra 4 rounds of the 30 is probably enough to tilt me in that direction. But 90% of the time I have the G42 in my front pants pocket anyway.
I don't like the idea of shooting a .45 in a crowded environment. I always have 230s in mine....Maybe an explosive 180 or so JHP would not over penetrate.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

BlaineG wrote:I don't like the idea of shooting a .45 in a crowded environment. I always have 230s in mine....Maybe an explosive 180 or so JHP would not over penetrate.
I applaud your attitude Blaine. We have no carry at all here but this issue seems very important to consider. Certainly the stopping power of a self defence round is important.

It is interesting that on real cop shows the officers often state that the lowly 22 or 25 concerns them because it bounces around inside and causes a lot of damage. I would not have thought the 380 would have been as effective in the video test. The melon shot through and through is an eye opener (perhaps eye closer is a better phrase).
Last edited by Canuck Bob on Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Since we're talking calibers and such take a look at the following links that refer to the FBI decision to go back to 9mm...I would have to have seen that test at 15-20 yards... :)
http://soldiersystems.net/2014/09/25/fb ... -division/
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php? ... fense-Ammo
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I've posted that graphic in the second link many times. I think a lot of it has to do with rapid advances in bullet technology. Simple changes in bullet shape, a flat meplat for example, give big changes in performance in certain loads.

Still, waiting for something to bleed out is nowhere near as effective as a cns shot that flips the switch. Just watched a video of someone putting a .380 hp into a pig's head. He dropped like a sack of cement.

But I think the agencies that are giving up on .40 do it because the girls don't like it.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Grizz wrote:1892,

I've posted that graphic in the second link many times. I think a lot of it has to do with rapid advances in bullet technology. Simple changes in bullet shape, a flat meplat for example, give big changes in performance in certain loads.

Still, waiting for something to bleed out is nowhere near as effective as a cns shot that flips the switch. Just watched a video of someone putting a .380 hp into a pig's head. He dropped like a sack of cement.

But I think the agencies that are giving up on .40 do it because the girls don't like it.
I like the .380acp, own a LCP and carry nothing but flat meplat hard-ball because of the short barrel, but we discussed this before...actually it was your thread/posts that convinced me...

As far as the 9mm goes, most LEO's that we have hired here in the last 5-6 years are not gun guys (accept the occasional combat veteran)...most shoot the 9mm better than the .40S&W, for us it's all about rounds on target (shot placement), and yes our Female LEO's like it too. Our current Senior Firearms Instructor (Marine combat vet, 8 years active duty) is the one pushing the 9mm over the .40S&W in my LE Agency (NYPD 9mm since 1996). As for me I totally transitioned over to the 9mm this year...me bad... :)

PS -- if I had my way I'd still be carrying a S&W Model 66 with a 2 1/2" barrel with 125-grain Remington HP's
and 4 speed loaders...that's a real "come to Jesus meeting" handgun/caliber...I quess that makes me old...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Old? Not at all. My 66 has a 4" barrel and has made venison.

I carry the 380 and the 9. It's a tossup which one is the backup.

I shoot my 9 better than the xd45, average two fewer fliers per mag.
Don't know why. I need to find a ransom rest to resolve that one.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

After reading this thread yesterday and considering my "need" for another hand gun I decided on a .380 Semi-auto. I looked at my catalogs, did searches, looked at performance/penetration videos, Gun Genie, and Bud's Guns. Then I went out to my Reloading Den (shed out back) and was looking for the .380 brass I had picked up at the range. I found a bag of about 80-100 and as I picked it up I thought how small those cases were (I have been reloading some 45 ACP and .44 Mag lately), Picked out a few and thought again, tiny! :shock: I looked at the head stamp and saw the brass I was looking at was 9mm! Kinda made me rethink a .380. Mebbe I'll look for a 45 ACP pocket gun... :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

mikld

I went through that in Alaska when I nearly walked into a freshly prepared brown bear condo. I looked at the pitifuly small hole in the .338 and wondered how I could have possibly thought that it would "do"!

380, however is 9mm short, the bullets are nearly identical in size and in lead they interchange.

that's why my AK woods walking gun is a redhawk with 405g hard cast. Even then, compared to the bear, they don't look like much . . .
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:mikld

I went through that in Alaska when I nearly walked into a freshly prepared brown bear condo. I looked at the pitifuly small hole in the .338 and wondered how I could have possibly thought that it would "do"!

380, however is 9mm short, the bullets are nearly identical in size and in lead they interchange.

that's why my AK woods walking gun is a redhawk with 405g hard cast. Even then, compared to the bear, they don't look like much . . .
It's about proportion....when I walk in the woods, I have much larger bullets :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

yeah, I'm reading up on Doc's Beo, trying to decide if it has any real benefits over the 458s.

look at what you get in 458 with 2400 and H322, my main powders:
458socomloads.png
I haven't seen a similar chart for 50 Beo, but my 45/70 stuff puts me right in the 458's category. It feels familiar.

If anyone has this chart for 50 Beo I'm interested.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.