Weight loss on a 300 H&H Hornady 180 gr. (BC Moose Hunt)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Weight loss on a 300 H&H Hornady 180 gr. (BC Moose Hunt)

Post by daisygordoninc »

My buddy recovered his bullet from his large bull moose after he got home and cut up the meat. He made a high shot breaking it's back and it went down immediately and died quickly, job done. I was surprised to find after weighing the bullet that it was only 117.5 grs. with part of it broken off. Shouldn't it hold together better than that normally, or perhaps that is a light bullet for a large moose with large bones. Anyone with any experience with this?
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Re: Weight loss on a 300 H&H Hornady 180 gr. (BC Moose Hunt)

Post by Canuck Bob »

Type of bullet, shot placement angle, and range important info. If it was full power at 20 yards the bullet would take a beating. I'd say one shot dead moose good job bullet! Busting the backbone anywhere near the shoulders is a lot of moose. Was it a racking shot as he found the bullet?
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

120 yards, bull standing broad side. He may have been shooting down maybe 25 ft. in elevation.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I guess I would have hoped for a little more retention but a 300 H&H 180 grain is certainly a moose rifle. At that range one would expect it to hit hard but not blow-up. Still from the record your buddy picked good placement and made a good shot and harvested a nice moose.

Any idea which bullet it was? Sorry for all the questions but I don't get to hunt much and love these kinda discussions! I used a Partition in the 7MM Mag years ago. It left a little cylinder of bullet after quickly shedding the nose. I'm confident that is by design and really like the Partitoned bullet concept. Today I would consider the Swift version specially for heavy game in small caliber magnums.

My favorite hunting bullet was the 265 gr FN Hornady 444 bullet. Its an inter-lock design and held up well for me both close and long. However that is a far cry from a 300 H&H. I appreciate your buddies choice in a fine historic cartridge.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

SST or interlock? I dont like the SST version as they arent as tough, seen one blowup on a elk shoulder and trying to shoot thru pin bone can be hard on any bullet. the RN 180 interlock has worked fine for me in a 99 sav so does the speer 180 RN hotcore. danny
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I think that is pretty good performance from a interlock. Over 50 % left after a spine shot is good! Moose is reduced to meat and recovered quickly,what more can one ask? If he needs more he should look to a monolithic like TSX or Hornady \Nosler's offering.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Canuck Bob wrote: However that is a far cry from a 300 H&H. I appreciate your buddies choice in a fine historic cartridge.
Ditto. One of these days, a 300 H&H will find its way into my safe. Preferably an older Model 70 or Ruger #1. My dad's first rifle was a 300 H&H. Wish he kept it.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
cjensen
Levergunner

Post by cjensen »

Seems Mr. Moose a 300 H&H with a cup and core bullet prompted the Nosler Partion. My choice would be a 250 gn. Swift A frame in 9.3X74R. I have only recovered 1, all the others went through. One shot, two holes.
Last edited by cjensen on Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That's about what I would expect for a conventional cup and core bullet smacking a moose.
NRA Life Member
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

Still waiting to hear exactly what hornady bullet that was, will get that information for you in the next day or two. Thanks for your info. I think my one thought is that maybe 180gr. might be light for such a heavy animal, and especially if that bullet does not hold together well.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Shooting moose with varmint bullets, tut tut! Needed a hard cast lead slug going bit slower.

N :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

That Hornady bullet was a 180 gr. InterBond boatail,
and Hornady says it will not fragment even through bone.
Wrong, it lost more than 33% of it's weight and fragmented.
What say you ?
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

My old 300 H&H has taken 6 bull elk I used the old Barnes X bullet 180 gr. never recovered
a X bullet except from a near by tree, did use a 200 gr. partition hit a bull elk 2 times & recovered
both bullets with standard results from a partition, my thinking on your story & bullet is I would use a better bullet, heres my thinking on super penetrating bullets, the trophy of a life time presents a good shot so you take it & a limb is hit & its a gut shot so the monster moose takes off & you have
a shot at his rump with the 300 H&H & the x bullet it wouldn't be a problem with a lesser bullet you
just may have a badly wounded moose, im not saying that a magnum is needed for moose or elk
but dang good bullets are & then if your hunting where there may be large bear I think the best bullet
is in order 100%

ollogger
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

My old 300 H&H has taken 6 bull elk I used the old Barnes X bullet 180 gr. never recovered
a X bullet except from a near by tree, did use a 200 gr. partition hit a bull elk 2 times & recovered
both bullets with standard results from a partition, my thinking on your story & bullet is I would use a better bullet, heres my thinking on super penetrating bullets, the trophy of a life time presents a good shot so you take it & a limb is hit & its a gut shot so the monster moose takes off & you have
a shot at his rump with the 300 H&H & the x bullet it wouldn't be a problem with a lesser bullet you
just may have a badly wounded moose, im not saying that a magnum is needed for moose or elk
but dang good bullets are & then if your hunting where there may be large bear I think the best bullet
is in order 100%

ollogger