Some people stink!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Some people stink!

Post by 2ndovc »

Was home alone Friday night when I heard some noises outside and what I thought was the door of my truck
being closed. As I'm trotting down the steps I hear the screen door open, that's when the dogs go crazy. I ran back up to my room and grabbed my Glock/light and ran outside.
I have a huge row of lilac bushes in front of the house and have had problems in the past with people hiding out there for what ever reason, usually kids play so no big deal. Thought that's all it was and went back inside.

Well...
Came home from shopping with Blondie the next morning when I see the plastic ammo can that I'd left in the back seat sitting behind the small pines on the other side of the property. WTF is that doing over there? I go to take a look and there under the ammo box is the H&R 12b that I keep under the back seat of the truck. Been there all night. Apparently I'd forgotten to lock the doors and some rat got in and was spooked when I came outside, dropped the stuff and ran off.

Really wish I'd caught the creep!! Shotgun was out in the rain all night and the finish is ruined. At least I still have it. I thought this had become a good neighborhood again.

People suck!

jb :evil:
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Re: Some people stink!

Post by gundownunder »

I guess you could consider yourself lucky.
1, he dropped the stuff so you get to keep it
2, you went outside early enough that he didn't have time to load your gun and shoot you as you came out the door.

It's times like that when you want to lead with a couple of Rotties or Dobermanns so the manure bag doesn't get away.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

You're right for sure. That would have been bad! Should have turned out the Great Dane!!!
The ammo box was full of .308 Winchester's from the range trip the day before (sorry, didn't specify).
He didn't find the 12 gage ammo pouches in the back of the front seat pouch.

jb 8)

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Glad the perp dropped your stuff. But I learned long ago to never leave anything in the car / truck at night that I wanted to be there in the morning. I made it a habit a long time ago to lock the vehicles always. But, sometimes me or my wife forget.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Glad your ok. Sorry for the hassle. I lost a bond derringer a while back to punks breaking in a locked truck. I know others here have lost firearms too. I'm glad they didn't get away with it. Glad you didn't get hurt. Blessings. Give Blondie a hug.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

To get to my car, they'd have to make it through about 300 lbs of dogs, and would be standing in the open with four automatic floodlights pointing at them (and at least one semiautomatic firearm likely to be)... :twisted:

...but even though that's the case, since my vehicle isn't always at home, I rarely have anything in it that would be worth more than a hundred bucks or so. Just too much risk - even if they just break a window out, the replacement cost (unless you want to pay for a zero-deductible auto insurance plan) is too high to be worth the risk.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

That's why the "truck gun" is a $150 .410 single shot and not my Rossi.

Though I've been tempted to install another Mosin... but I have too much energy invested in the current project to make it a "truck gun".
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Edited out.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

crd wrote:Edited out.
This.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Maybe it's because I live in a country obsessed with firearm security, I find it odd that a lot of gun owners leave guns unsecured in vehicles and around the home. I would hate to be confronted by some lowlife that has found one of my guns and was now pointing it at me or a member of my family.
Where I live I can shoot or hunt daily so a gun is nearly always at hand but unlike the guy in the blue tent, nothing or no one gets between me and it.
I'm glad you found your gun with only rain damage, in the UK a lost gun often means a lost right to own another. :evil:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

game keeper wrote:Maybe it's because I live in a country obsessed with firearm security, I find it odd that a lot of gun owners leave guns unsecured in vehicles and around the home. I would hate to be confronted by some lowlife that has found one of my guns and was now pointing it at me or a member of my family.
Where I live I can shoot or hunt daily so a gun is nearly always at hand but unlike the guy in the blue tent, nothing or no one gets between me and it.
I'm glad you found your gun with only rain damage, in the UK a lost gun often means a lost right to own another. :evil:
Excellent point. I've only done this for a short time as far as leaving a firearm in my vehicle. Won't be doing it any longer.
I've been thinking since that had he found the shells it could have gotten ugly.

jb 8)

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

It's a reflection of the Urban vs Rural mentality and how Urban Criminality has seeped even into Rural Lands.

When I was in HS (not quite 30 years ago) guns in gun racks in the back windows of singlecab pickups (even in the school parking lot) was the RULE, not the exception...-
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

rjohns94 wrote:Glad your ok. Sorry for the hassle. I lost a bond derringer a while back to punks breaking in a locked truck. I know others here have lost firearms too. I'm glad they didn't get away with it. Glad you didn't get hurt. Blessings. Give Blondie a hug.
P.S. Move to TX! This still is a nice neighborhood.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Old Ironsights wrote:It's a reflection of the Urban vs Rural mentality and how Urban Criminality has seeped even into Rural Lands.

When I was in HS (not quite 30 years ago) guns in gun racks in the back windows of singlecab pickups (even in the school parking lot) was the RULE, not the exception...-

Guns in the gun racks in the back windows of UNLOCKED singlecab pickups WITH THE KEY IN THE IGNITION OR OTHERWISE EASY TO FIND (even in the school parking lot) was the RULE, not the exception...-

In many parts of the US of A. Shucks there's still places I visit up north where the standard practice is to leave the vehicle unlocked and with the key on the floorboards in case someone needs to move it. Rifles in the racks aren't quite as common even there, however.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Glad you got everything but your sense of peace back. I hope the lowlife who stole your shotgun, even if temporarily, is in the path of an angry dog the next time he/she tries to steal something.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

After the first time I lost a laptop and a GPS when the bastages broke the window of my wife's Jeep, we now never leave anything of great value in either car, and leave them unlocked. The window they broke the first time cost $249.95, no kidding, and my deductible is $250.00! Since then the cars have been gone through once again, and all they got was a really old Leatherman tool. Least it didn't cost me for the window. I really dislike thieves.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

piller wrote:Glad you got everything but your sense of peace back. I hope the lowlife who stole your shotgun, even if temporarily, is in the path of an angry dog the next time he/she tries to steal something.
In hindsight I should have turned out our Great Dane. I'm sure she would have led me in the right direction.

:twisted:

jb

BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

game keeper wrote:Maybe it's because I live in a country obsessed with firearm security, I find it odd that a lot of gun owners leave guns unsecured in vehicles and around the home. I would hate to be confronted by some lowlife that has found one of my guns and was now pointing it at me or a member of my family.

If you lose your cell phone, I-Pad, car, wife, etc. do you also lose the right to get another? Why not?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I remember some time back when one of our members ScottT had that fine Marlin 1894C that had been worked on by Mic McPherson stolen out of his truck down in San Antonio. It was sad for Scott but a lesson for us all.

I don't leave anything in my vehicle unless I can see the vehicle.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

game keeper wrote: in the UK a lost gun often means a lost right to own another. :evil:
Kind of like Muslims punishing the victim of rape, is it not? :roll: :evil:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I never leave any guns in my vehicles unless it's parked in the garage. Glad you were able to run them off.
NRA Life Member
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Sorry for the rain damage to your firearm, Glad you got it back. Passive, motion detector, light and vehicle alarm system cover my vehicle has worked so far. My response to a couple of alarms on the vehicle with a MP-5 gives my neighbors something to talk about.
It is not the critic who counts
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

BAGTIC wrote:

If you lose your cell phone, I-Pad, car, wife, etc. do you also lose the right to get another? Why not?
Like I said, strict security, it is a condition of having a licence to own a firearm, if you lose a firearm the police can assume that your security was not acceptable and take away your licence plus any other guns. It happens quite frequently over here, my son knows a gamekeeper who had his vehicle stolen together with a couple of guns, he lost his license, could lose his job and was heavily fined by the courts for not securing his guns.
The Gypsies that stole his vehicle and guns were not caught, as is usual over here too!
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

game keeper wrote:... It happens quite frequently over here, my son knows a gamekeeper who had his vehicle stolen together with a couple of guns, he lost his license, could lose his job and was heavily fined by the courts for not securing his guns.
The Gypsies that stole his vehicle and guns were not caught, as is usual over here too!
Someone with a job like that - one that requires transport of firearms in a vehicle, which, by definition is itself not securable - needs to have a proper MI-6 style anti theft system installed.

Steal my gun vehicle? Go boom.

Bloody tragic accident, that.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!