357 squir hunting photo.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

357 squir hunting photo.

Post by Nath »

With an ugly scope fitted mind!

Not a special photo but.....

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: 357 squir hunting photo.

Post by gamekeeper »

Nice photo but I'm worried that you may not be using enough gun!...... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Me too, am thinking 44/40!

N :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

What type of bullet are you using? I'm surprised it isn't all blown apart.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

UncleBuck wrote:What type of bullet are you using? I'm surprised it isn't all blown apart.
+1

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Are you sure he's dead, and not just stunned?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Better aim between the eyes next time. I hear they charge when they're wounded.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

158 grn copper plated.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Hi Nath.
I noticed the photo did not show the front of the Squirrels jaw.
How big were the fangs?
Squirrels do have fangs, don't they?
There are no Squirrels in Australia.
Snakes must have ate 'em all.
Pop.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

killed it, too :mrgreen:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

They sure do have fangs! Bet some are near 1\2" long!
That's why you got to use enough gun! Dangerous!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I hope everyone realizes that those are God fearing American squirrels that Nath is ruthlessly slaughtering. Why isn't he shooting those commie "red squirrels'.

BTW, Nath do you also have the larger North America Fox squirrels over there?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I bet the loads are going a thousand feet or less...Ive shot a lot of them with 32-20's and 44spls. And you can eat right up to the hole.

Those Limey squirrels look just like our yank squirrels. :D ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

BAGTIC wrote:I hope everyone realizes that those are God fearing American squirrels that Nath is ruthlessly slaughtering. Why isn't he shooting those commie "red squirrels'.

BTW, Nath do you also have the larger North America Fox squirrels over there?
Over here, being a quasi pinko state, the red squirrels can only be trapped under trapping regulations, and shot on private land. The big grey one are legal everywhere, but don't seem to make it over here.

Too cold for the Yankee ones? :o
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

One of my reloading manuals has data on loading 9mm/.355 FMJ bullets specifically for hunting small game with a .357 magnum rifle. As the man said, minimal tissue damage and " you can eat up to the edge of the hole".
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

BAGTIC wrote:I hope everyone realizes that those are God fearing American squirrels that Nath is ruthlessly slaughtering. Why isn't he shooting those commie "red squirrels'.
My son GKjr is a full time Grey Squirrel trapper in Northumberland, I'm sure he would jump at the chance to use a .357... :D
The Red squirrel is endangered here because of the squirrel pox that the "American" squirrels had when they were introduced to Britain in the 1800s. hence his job.... :wink:
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

GK here in nys the reds are considered a pest , there is no season , no bag limits , no restrictions as to what they can be shot with . At our camp the population is down from years ago , but I can attest that a heavy hollow point round from a 44 mag can and will effectively just about cut one in half :o
Phil
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Phil, it is just the opposite here, funny the difference an ocean can make... :wink:
dad
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dad »

I wonder if anyone use "pot Guns" for small game? Like the 25-20,32-20. I thought that these were dual purposes for small game and dear and other thin skinned animals. I thought that the 38 Special and the 44 special were for that purpose? I use to use 50cal black power and round ball and use 30 to 40 gr. charge. It was effective out to 20 to 25 yards. I can say this the animal was dead with one shot no matter where you hit it! Not trying to stir the pot I just thought that that was the purpose of these and the world of hand loading makes it even better!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

dad wrote:I wonder if anyone use "pot Guns" for small game? Like the 25-20,32-20. I thought that these were dual purposes for small game and dear and other thin skinned animals. I thought that the 38 Special and the 44 special were for that purpose? I use to use 50cal black power and round ball and use 30 to 40 gr. charge. It was effective out to 20 to 25 yards. I can say this the animal was dead with one shot no matter where you hit it! Not trying to stir the pot I just thought that that was the purpose of these and the world of hand loading makes it even better!
I think you are absolutely correct dad.

N :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Their red squirrels and our red squirrels are totally different species. Theirs have funny little tufts on their ears and are slightly bigger than our red squirrels, but smaller than our grey squirrels.

in the county I live in, we have red squirrels and grey squirrels and fox squirrels. The fox squirrels seem to prefer edges of woods next to crop fields, the grey squirrels are in the woods, and I've only see red squirrels at the higher elevations in spruce stands. And as someone already mentioned, those fox squirrels can get pretty big!
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

UncleBuck wrote:What type of bullet are you using? I'm surprised it isn't all blown apart.

Did you "bark" it? :lol:
Merle from PA
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Merle wrote:

Never understood that barking notion, I mean I would never shoot at a stone under a rabbit or deer's head! How about not shooting at the flying pheasant but try for the higher dove to see if I can get the falling dove to knock the pheasant out of the sky! Just don't make any sense to me this barking idea, or am I supposed to sound like a dog!

N :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nath wrote:
Merle wrote:

Never understood that barking notion, I mean I would never shoot at a stone under a rabbit or deer's head! How about not shooting at the flying pheasant but try for the higher dove to see if I can get the falling dove to knock the pheasant out of the sky! Just don't make any sense to me this barking idea, or am I supposed to sound like a dog!

I understood "barking" a squirrel was something you did if using a powerful gun that would otherwise blow the squirrel to bits. I've never tried it but I have nearly barked a few by poor shooting... :oops:
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Nath wrote:
Merle wrote:

None of the above. This practice started back in muzzleloader days & was a way to have some meat left from a 50 plus caliber round ball. Personally, I suspect there is more legend than truth here, but oh well!!!! :lol:
Merle from PA
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Too bad that as long as you Brits are afflicted with the awful Yankee squirrels you could not at least have the Fox squirrels as they are big enough for a good meal. I like to use a HTWW .360 RB from a .357 Magnum H&R Handi-Rifle. 4 grains of Red Dot makes a very quiet load that kills quickly with no major damage even with a body shot. With the low velocity and round ball I feel safer when I am firing upward into the trees as the maximum range is much shorter than a conical bullet even a .22 standard velocity.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

BAGTIC wrote:Too bad that as long as you Brits are afflicted with the awful Yankee squirrels you could not at least have the Fox squirrels as they are big enough for a good meal. I like to use a HTWW .360 RB from a .357 Magnum H&R Handi-Rifle. 4 grains of Red Dot makes a very quiet load that kills quickly with no major damage even with a body shot. With the low velocity and round ball I feel safer when I am firing upward into the trees as the maximum range is much shorter than a conical bullet even a .22 standard velocity.
Often wonder about .360 balls!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!