Another 300 Savage joins the stable.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Another 300 Savage joins the stable.

Post by earlmck »

While I was visiting my FFL (Ray at "Prepper Up") to pick up the Rossi I reported on in another post, there was quite a long wait for the "instant background check" to clear me. Naturally I filled the time by inspecting the various items on his firearms rack. Wow! A Remington pump in 300 Savage, complete with classic K2.5 Weaver scope!! For $275, with 10% discount for a promotional being run today only!!!

Uh, yes, this came home with me.
Rem760in300Sav8895.jpg
I know what all of you 300 Savage fans are just dying to know. You want to know if Remington used the same 12" twist that Savage used for all its 300 Savages. Or did they use the 10" twist they were using for the 30'06's they were already putting in this same 760 pump? As you no doubt already have guessed, Remington did its version of the 300 Savage with a 10" twist, according to my "cleaning-rod twist rate inspection".

Range report to follow sometime in the near future, I hope.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Another 300 Savage joins the stable.

Post by ollogger »

Earl, I really like your combo you just put together but now your just rubbing it in :lol: :mrgreen:

super nice & at a whale of a deal!!!!

ollogger
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Great find Earl 8) 8) Looking forward to the RR
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Boy, Earls havin all the fun
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great pick up.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

That's a dandy eastern woods hunter at an incredibly good price :mrgreen:
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Super !! I like the old 760's a lot more the they new ones. bet it shoots Great.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Great find.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

the Rossi was very nice, but that old Remington is way cool...great price too... :)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Buy a lottery ticket, Earl - It's surely your time to shine ! :)

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Wow, great deal! :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Sweet. My buddy had one in .223. It was a good shooter. :wink:
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I did make it out to ye old gravel pit on Sunday. Unfortunately I took along 2 grandkids. Somehow the grandkids interfere greatly with rifle/load testing. I just managed to shoot some "leftovers" from an earlier experiment that didn't work out quite right -- this was cast bullet loads using the 117 grain Ranch Dog 32/20 bullet, seated deep enough that the .313" bullet would still chamber. This load shot quite well in the Savage 99 and so I had loaded up a goodly bunch. But it turns out that when you load 5 in the magazine, a couple of shots causes the cartridges to move forward and jam the rotary magazine and so quit feeding (at least in my particular 99).

These short cartridges feed just fine using the clip of the Rem 760, and were pretty close to on for windage but a lot high. I cranked the scope down about 12" and she seemed quite deadly on the tin cans the kids had set up at 50 yards. And that is all the range report I can give so far -- I managed about 20 shots out of the new 300 Savage, and feel reasonably confident it will be a decent shooter.

Meanwhile 10-yr old Kacie was running rounds through the youth model 243 with some authority. And hitting fairly well from a sitting position. My 8-yr old burned up a modest chunk of those 22 shells we found last week and hit cans ... occasionally? maybe even usually?

Yep -- grandkids pretty much rule around here, much to the detriment of scientific investigation of things ballistic.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, nice rifle. I didn't know Remington had even chambered that pump in .300. Bet you could spin up a 220-grain pill in that 1:10 twist.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Thats a hard rifle to find, in 300 Savage, even here in Pennsylvania, which is the king of all states for anything "pump".

A guy two doors down from me has one and its the only one of two I have ever seen. Check out the barrel codes and my guess it was made in 1956, give or take a year as the 308 chambering put an end to the 300 S. chambering.---------6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..