Finally joined the EVIL BLACK RIFLE CLUB!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Finally joined the EVIL BLACK RIFLE CLUB!

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Well, I am half way there anyways. I ordered a Palmetto State Arms Lower Receiver with the Premium Classic Lower Build Kit and it arrived in the mail today on (9/11). It took me about an hour to build the complete lower. I am still on the fence on which barreled upper receiver I want to put on it. Depending on which version I go with, I expect to complete the basic build for less than $600. I will be sure to post pics once complete.

September is National Preparedness Month, I guess you could say this is my version of Build a KIT!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Re: Finally joined the EVIL BLACK RIFLE CLUB!

Post by octagon »

Have you checked out ballistic info on the 6.8? Looks nice to me and would be on top of list. I sure like that price you mentioned, sounds like your on the right track.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I think you'll like it. I used a Spike's Tactical lower, but ordered the lower parts kit and upper assembly from Palmetto State. I am very pleased with the quality of what I received. I ordered the M-16 bolt and bolt carrier group for mine instead of the one designed for the AR-15. Practically it doesn't really make a difference for most shooters, but the M-16 bolt is made to withstand full auto fire, or at least that's what I was led to believe. I'm far from an expert. I really don't shoot it that much because I don't really care for semi autos. I bought it because I wanted a good, reliable battle rifle.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

octagon wrote:Have you checked out ballistic info on the 6.8? Looks nice to me and would be on top of list. I sure like that price you mentioned, sounds like your on the right track.
I'd do the 6.5 Grendel over the 6.8. It does everything the 6.8 was designed to do and has much better long-range performance as well.

Horsesoldier, PM or email me if you like with the details of what you are thinking about for the upper, and I may be able to give some suggestions or recommend sources for parts, or who to avoid.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I'll have to check it ot 7.62, thanks.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I gotta say 7.62 was VERY helpful when I was putting my last AR together. Listen to the man he knows what he is talking about. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Black rifles are not evil. AR type of rifles are not evil. They are just UGLY!

I guess that Forrest Extravasate was right, ugly is as ugly does. Wait! Wasn't that "Gump"? I may have mis-heard.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Funny, I just sold the only AR-15 I've ever owned :lol:

They're just not my thing, though I can't fault anyone for liking them - they go bang like most everything else.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Find myself wanting maybe a couple of AR-15s. I have a FAL because I like the .308 but it is HEAVY! 12 pounds 4 ounces with a loaded magazine and 2.75X Redfield.

7.62, would you please write us up your recommendations as to what to buy? I think I would like 20" bbl with 1in7 or 8 twist and the 5.56 chamber or maybe the 223 W?? something that is supposed to be good for both rounds. I'm sure I want the telescoping stock and full floating handguard. What trigger if I want a better one?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

M. M. Wright wrote:Find myself wanting maybe a couple of AR-15s. I have a FAL because I like the .308 but it is HEAVY! 12 pounds 4 ounces with a loaded magazine and 2.75X Redfield.

7.62, would you please write us up your recommendations as to what to buy? I think I would like 20" bbl with 1in7 or 8 twist and the 5.56 chamber or maybe the 223 W?? something that is supposed to be good for both rounds. I'm sure I want the telescoping stock and full floating handguard. What trigger if I want a better one?
Not quite light as a feather, and with a side lever, but I sure like this .308...W/Leupold Scout Scope, the rail is built in to the rifle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

https://us-mg6.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launc ... 8hma89l9eg
Palmetto State Armory is running some great deals.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

92&94 wrote:Funny, I just sold the only AR-15 I've ever owned :lol:

They're just not my thing, though I can't fault anyone for liking them - they go bang like most everything else.
That was the way I looked at it when I sold my Bushy M4gery. Nice gun. Accurate. Had all of the Plusses & Minuses I have come to expect from the platform. But essentially, I found it BORING.

And I really didn't want/need an intermediate caliber carbine.

So I sold my Black Rifle and went to Phosphate Green with Wood Furniture... and longer range camabilities.

Heavier? Yep. But it has that certain, je ne sais quoi, from a gun that looks like it could have been used to fight commies in Rhodesia...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

je ne sais quoi
An exquisite phrase.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Old Ironsights wrote: So I sold my Black Rifle and went to Phosphate Green with Wood Furniture... and longer range camabilities.

Heavier? Yep. But it has that certain, je ne sais quoi, from a gun that looks like it could have been used to fight commies in Rhodesia...
Definitely a great rifle. I had the privilege of shooting them several times during unit organizational days with our German Partnership Unit while I was stationed in Germany.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

horsesoldier03 wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote: So I sold my Black Rifle and went to Phosphate Green with Wood Furniture... and longer range camabilities.

Definitely a great rifle. I had the privilege of shooting them several times during unit organizational days with our German Partnership Unit while I was stationed in Germany.
That's how I fell in love with the platform. When I was assigned to Liaise with our FRG counterparts in Fulda, I was "issued" a G3 Para for the duration.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

BlaineG wrote:
je ne sais quoi
An exquisite phrase.....

i don't know what........it means
cable
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

hfcable wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
je ne sais quoi
An exquisite phrase.....

Don't worry. Most of us are like you and are not concerned with having the Savoir Faire to understand. Courtly manners are just not of much concern for me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

per Dictionary.com
an indefinable, elusive quality, especially a pleasing one:
She has a certainje ne sais quoi that charms everybody.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

hfcable wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
je ne sais quoi
An exquisite phrase.....

i mighta been kidding............ but i don't know what :)
cable
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I ordered the final parts to complete my EBR build today. I was having a diffucult decision deciding exactly what barrel I wanted to go with. I ended up getting the PSA Premium M4A1 complete upper. I know the heavy barrel is overkill on an M4 without full auto capabilies but I figure the extra 4 oz wont kill me. Will post pics when if finally makes it in.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Old Ironsights wrote:[

I always associated the FAL with Rhodesia moreso than the G3, but i assume bot platforms got a lot of action

"Merc for hire, - high risk no b-s"

----- Doug
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

They preferred the FAL in Rhodesia but later on, they became hard to come by, even getting them from the SADF.

The G-3 was more available, I believe through the Portugeuse. The G-3 is a solid rifle, but I've always found the FAL easier to shoot well, and a bit more accurate. Better trigger helps.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

8) Meanwhile, Back to the OP.

I just built my first using a Stag Arms lower, DPMS parts kit and the stock off my Colt Sporter LW.
Watched a youtube video to see what parts/ springs go where and I got it together. Tested it with my Colt Upper and ran perfectly. Except the trigger sucks!! Have to fix that.
Going to put a 80's style 20" A2 upper on it for my US mil collection.
Have plans for three more. One Zombie style 9mm Carbine, one long range HB rifle and one VN style rifle with the triangular hand guards ( again for my US Mil collection). :D

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I have always been on the fence trying to decide if I wanted an AR variant. I finally decided to go through with it and so far it has gone well. I was shocked on the outcome of the trigger on my lower. It is a little heavy but there is zero creep or over travel. Once I get a significant round count down range, I will consider doing a trigger job. I can definitely see other builds in my future.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Streetstar wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:[

I always associated the FAL with Rhodesia moreso than the G3, but i assume bot platforms got a lot of action

"Merc for hire, - high risk no b-s"

Both platforms were used a lot.

Portugal had a FMP/G3 plant in Mozambique before they pulled out.

Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Well I finally managed to get a pic as well as go and do some shooting. As you see, nothing fancy, the only difference between it and any other AR is this one is mine. I did have 1 FTF on the 2nd round, over 100 rounds were fired. Unfortunately I still have not chosen what OPTIC I will go with. Right now I have a cheap REDDOT that did manage to get the job done for the time being. I dont have a pic of the target, but I did manage to place 25 rounds in the head (2" in diameter) at 50 yrds.
Last edited by horsesoldier03 on Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

My favorite optic:

For price, this one can't be beat. I have been really impressed:
(ignore the magnifier)
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Thanks for the suggestion. What quad rail (forearm) is pictured?