I HATE Yardwork

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

I HATE Yardwork

Post by Griff »

Just got my "new-to-me" John Deere paid off, and had to mow 15 acres... with a 4' brush hog. Nice little Deere 950 from the early '70s, diesel with a shade canopy, homemade of course!

Whereas the 6' brush hog could get the job done in one day... pretty much sunup to sundown, the smaller tractor, 26hp at the PTO, would be workin' too hard to pull the larger one. So... a little over a YEAR's worth of brush hoggin' got done. Pretty much consumed most of two days... But, being the master procrastinator that I am... I took parts of 3 days to 'get-er-done'! :P :P Now to spend the rest of the afternoon mendin' fences and then tomorrow... it's ammo loadin' time!

Our club's monthly match is Saturday... and I'm going to be there! Leavin' Sunday to be back on the road again... workin'! :( :( Next project: rebuilding the 46hp Ford 3 cyl. gas tractor... has oil in water...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: I HATE Yardwork

Post by Blaine »

Good news and bad always go together..... :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I hate yard work too...got to go now, because I have some yard work to do...aaarrrrggghhhhhhh.... :(
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Snowing here, yard work is done for the fall and winter.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Tell us more about the Ford...600 series?

I've had '52 model 8N for 19 years. Finally traded for a 3 cylinder diesel MF 135 last year. Needs some TLC but much more versatile than the 8N.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Griff wrote:Just got my "new-to-me" John Deere paid off, and had to mow 15 acres... with a 4' brush hog. Nice little Deere 950 from the early '70s, diesel with a shade canopy, homemade of course!

Whereas the 6' brush hog could get the job done in one day... pretty much sunup to sundown, the smaller tractor, 26hp at the PTO, would be workin' too hard to pull the larger one. So... a little over a YEAR's worth of brush hoggin' got done. Pretty much consumed most of two days... But, being the master procrastinator that I am... I took parts of 3 days to 'get-er-done'! :P :P Now to spend the rest of the afternoon mendin' fences and then tomorrow... it's ammo loadin' time!

Our club's monthly match is Saturday... and I'm going to be there! Leavin' Sunday to be back on the road again... workin'! :( :( Next project: rebuilding the 46hp Ford 3 cyl. gas tractor... has oil in water...
Your 'yard work' constitutes a whole separate plane of existence from mine.

I gripe because I have to push the mower up the 'hill' at the north end of the pool...

:oops:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff,
How do you figure THATS yard work? The dang tractor does the work. Yard work is getting the shovel, rake, hand clippers, and the wheelbarrow out. That's "work".

Why don't you tell the boys what it was all really about.......you sitting on the Deere........a cold 16oz. Pabst in one hand, a bit of Acapulco Gold In Zig-Zag papers in the other hand, listening to Led Zep on the headphones.......just cruisin' along, enjoyin' life. :D ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Fred, my "yard" is over 3 acres :oops: I was going to pare it down some, but then I got that fancy new mower..... :oops: :oops:

Everything is bigger in Texas, right? Get with the program :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Sixgun wrote:Griff,
How do you figure THATS yard work? The dang tractor does the work. Yard work is getting the shovel, rake, hand clippers, and the wheelbarrow out. That's "work".

Why don't you tell the boys what it was all really about.......you sitting on the Deere........a cold 16oz. Pabst in one hand, a bit of Acapulco Gold In Zig-Zag papers in the other hand, listening to Led Zep on the headphones.......just cruisin' along, enjoyin' life. :D ----6

You left out his tractor gun.....
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

vancelw wrote:Tell us more about the Ford...600 series?

I've had '52 model 8N for 19 years. Finally traded for a 3 cylinder diesel MF 135 last year. Needs some TLC but much more versatile than the 8N.
the MF135 is the same as my Ford 3000. It's a '69, 3 cyl. with an updraft carburetor.

Six, after a year of growth... it's work!

Fred, the really neat part... as I mowed the tall stuff down, the field mice were scampering all over the place... and we have two resident red-tailed hawks in the woods behind us... and they ate good the last two days. Twice I saw the larger one swoop in and nab one up. Both times it was less than 50ft away! The smaller worked today, and it didn't fare so well on the one attack I saw it do. It did ok tho', as twice it came up from behind me holding a mouse in one claw. I just didn't get to see the nab!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Heck, that's not work, it takes me around three hours to mow my yards, shooting range and paths. That's three wonderful hours no one is talking to me and there are usually chipmunks and gophers along the edge of the pasture to plink at.
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

Actually, my wife does the paddocks on the Husky ride on, regards it as good therapy.

I do the edges, tidy up work with the pull start B&S.

Now, the B&S is getting pretty old and tired, a bit like me.

Perhaps it's time to replace it with a key start, self propelled Honda.

We all live in hope.

Cheers Mark
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

mark wrote:Actually, my wife does the paddocks on the Husky ride on, regards it as good therapy.
We all live in hope.
Cheers Mark

Mark,
I bet you have few more years left in that B&S. I got 30 out of mine.----6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMReL4F1UyQ
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

vancelw,
I too have a '52 8N. Worst thing is no live hydraulics. I know how to retro-fit it but then I have 4 more tractors. Just finished, (yesterday) rebuilding the engine in my Case VAC. Went with the 3.250 to 3.438 overbore kit. Hoping for a little more power since it usually wears a 7 foot finish mower for the 3 or 4 acres of lawn around my and my sister's houses. The 8N tows a 6 foot brush hog and I have a 170 Allis Chalmers with a 15 foot Terrain King behind it. Need to get into the bottoms with the big rig. Don't want to be mowing during deer season. Usually have it baled but thought it needed to lay out this year. I'll have it planted in Soy beans come spring.
Retirement means NO DAYS OFF!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:
mark wrote:Actually, my wife does the paddocks on the Husky ride on, regards it as good therapy.
We all live in hope.
Cheers Mark

Mark,
I bet you have few more years left in that B&S. I got 30 out of mine.----6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMReL4F1UyQ
About 1962, and 6th grade I got Mom to front me 40 bucks for a no name B&S mower. I made a ton of money with that thing through high school, and mowed my Mom's lawn until she remarried. Her new husband used it for another 10 years or so. All I did was add oil, and clean the same spark plug. Dang things will not die.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

I hate yard work of any kind. Setting on a tractor or using a wheel barrow. I have a zero turn for cutting grass now. Don't know how I ever got by without it. Much more useful than a cell phone. I have a International 424 in gas for brush hogging. It's gas though not diesel like I would prefer. But the price was right.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

My idee of yard work is settin' in the shade with some sweet tea, watching my oldest Grandson (23y.o.) mow the grass. :mrgreen:

Every onct in a while, though, I might havta point at a holiday................... :roll:

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

M. M. Wright wrote:vancelw,
I too have a '52 8N. Worst thing is no live hydraulics. I know how to retro-fit it but then I have 4 more tractors. Just finished, (yesterday) rebuilding the engine in my Case VAC. Went with the 3.250 to 3.438 overbore kit. Hoping for a little more power since it usually wears a 7 foot finish mower for the 3 or 4 acres of lawn around my and my sister's houses. The 8N tows a 6 foot brush hog and I have a 170 Allis Chalmers with a 15 foot Terrain King behind it. Need to get into the bottoms with the big rig. Don't want to be mowing during deer season. Usually have it baled but thought it needed to lay out this year. I'll have it planted in Soy beans come spring.
I bought my 8N off of the people who built/owned the house we've lived in for 19 years. Since then, I've rebuilt the engine (had 40psi, not just under 30 oil pressure :D ) and the hydraulics. He had loaned it to a neighbor who had replaced the shear bolt with a grade 8 and then hit a stump. The pto shaft was twisted up inside the tranmission. It got replaced with a larger size pto so I don't need the adapter, but I use and over-travel clutch anyway. It also now has electronic ignition (bought it off a guy in Tulsa) and a one-wire (actually all 3 are hooked up) alternator in 12-volt negative ground. Only thing missing is paint....and a live pto as well as lower gears. That's why I did some trading for the 135. The 8N is simply geared to high for me. I did some gun-trading for the MF 135 and gota great deal since it needs a complete wiring kit, alternator, and starter repair. Right now I have to pull start it (2 feet) to crank it. I guess it might be my winter project if I can get my shop cleaned out. The ground-drive PTO setting is a God-send. I was digging post holes in hard ground and having to "help" the auger when it broke through and sucked the digger into the ground, stalling the tractor. I was able to use the ground pto to screw that auger right out of the ground, rather than having to use a pipe wrench.

I hadn't ridden my motor cycle since I broke my leg last year, so I July I took it around to the ATV/Side-by-side dealers trying to peddle it. I ended up trading it for a Bad Boy mower. WOW. I never thought an expensive mower could be worth so much. Takes me a little over 2 hours to mow what used to take me 5 or 6 and I don't eat near as much dust. Great year to buy it, since we have had green grass all summer long. Very rare for July and August to have green, growing grass around here.
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

M. M. Wright wrote:vancelw,

Yep, on call 24/7, 365 days of the year. no holidays, no overtime, no leave loadings.

An expert on "non scheduled maintenance procedures".

Not to mention minding the grandchildren.

"I no complain", is anybody out there??.

Cheers Mark
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Here in KS, coyotes like to sit on the edge of the field and keep a watch out for any escaping varmints trying to avoid getting brush hogged.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”