Complete guide to Handloading by Phil Sharpe

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Complete guide to Handloading by Phil Sharpe

Post by wm »

http://castpics.net/subsite2/ClassicWor ... 201937.pdf

Found this on the internet.......thought some might find a useful resource.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Complete guide to Handloading by Phil Sharpe

Post by yooper2 »

It's a fantastic book. It's usually not too hard to find a paper copy floating around. "The Rifle in America" by Mr. Sharpe is excellent as well.

Eric
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks for that, good addition to the hard drive library.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Grizz wrote:Thanks for that, good addition to the hard drive library.
+1 - easier to search for things in a PDF file than thumbing through hardcopy. Thank you much.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have the book on hard copy. When I want to read it I don't have to worry about the computer dying or weather or not my ISP is having server problems at that time.

Books are better!

Remember, I am the founder and charter member of IAAA - I Am An Anachronism.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

J Miller wrote:I have the book on hard copy. When I want to read it I don't have to worry about the computer dying or weather or not my ISP is having server problems at that time.

Joe
When the electrons stop flowing, and the last pixel is dead,
there will still be ink on paper, and plenty on books to be read. Anon
-Brian
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

J Miller wrote:I have the book on hard copy. When I want to read it I don't have to worry about the computer dying or weather or not my ISP is having server problems at that time.

Books are better!

Joe
I'm right there with you........I am a analog guy in a digital world.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

wm wrote:

Books are better!

Joe
I'm right there with you........I am a analog guy in a digital world.
Yeah, sure... did you see what they are ASKING for this printed book? $150, $250 - ?
'Lectric books ain't so bad!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have a copy of the book, excellent condition, bought it at a yard sale 3-4 years ago for a buck. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I R a hi-tek red-neck, but I love my hard copy books. I have a good friend that bought a Kindle when they first came out... I think he's on his 6th one... let's see... IIRC: his kid puked into one, another kid dropped one off the 2nd floor balcony, he ran over #3 with his bike, #4 just quite working... no warnings, nada, just dead; #5 wouldn't hold a charge. Except for #1, the others are just dern near "non-events", and even that might not be catastrophic! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Griff wrote:I R a hi-tek red-neck, but I love my hard copy books. I have a good friend that bought a Kindle when they first came out... I think he's on his 6th one... let's see... IIRC: his kid puked into one, another kid dropped one off the 2nd floor balcony, he ran over #3 with his bike, #4 just quite working... no warnings, nada, just dead; #5 wouldn't hold a charge. Except for #1, the others are just dern near "non-events", and even that might not be catastrophic! :P
OK, like, I have an answer to all of that -
Treat your Kindle like a gun. Keep it away from children!

I loaned my Kindle to one of my daughters for her to try it. She has a 3 year old girl and a 5 year old boy. Both of them are inquisitive. It came back with the accessory cover torn off at the hinges. A lesson learned cheaply. I purchased a new cover. No more loaning my Kindle.

I have literally hundreds of books and reference documents on it (you can save spreadsheets and Word documents on it, as well, such as personal notes)*. I will never read all that I have, but I have a wonderful wide selection of reading material, including several versions of the Bible that I can search through quickly using the functions of this device.

Now, to the matter at hand: I found that the download above is NOT searchable, so I ran it through some software and posted the searchable result here:
https://app.box.com/s/h2or5r4ot9zno8o57frg

This 468 page book (The Complete Guide to Handloading by Phil Sharpe) is now a lot more practical to use. The only trouble is that you will need to wait for a while to download the 197 MB file. With dial-ups, you probably should click on the download at bedtime and then pick it up when you awaken.

You can download this pdf and use Control-F to find any topic or section by just entering a word or phrase; at least with Windows type PC's. Apples are an eternal mystery; I don't know how they work with PDF's, but I know that you can install a PDF reader (for free) even with an Apple and open up the document.

Using Amazon.com and no doubt other similar services, all of the books downloaded are "on the Cloud." That means that if my Kindle "breaks" - and it hasn't so far - I can get a new one and just download the documents again.

A newer service to Amazon Prime customers allows them to download any book in their extensive list, read it, then upload it back and download another - at no cost beyond the yearly membership fee. I prefer to keep most of my books so that I can refer back to them quickly.

* One can download literally thousands of public domain books from several Bit Torrent sites for free. Just search for sites that have ".mobi" or "Kindle" downloads. There are some libraries - one in California, one in the midwest, one in Australia, to name just three - that have a huge number of these books. And Amazon.com and other sites offer many Bible downloads for free or for $.99 (99 cents) each.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

The hard back book is a pleasure to read and full of interesting historical information. It has a permanent place on my book shelf.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Gosh John, just like my friend, eatin' away at my resolve NOT to succumb!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Griff wrote:Gosh John, just like my friend, eatin' away at my resolve NOT to succumb!
PM - don't want to hijack this thread any more!
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

I printed the Chapter on "Headspace". A very good read.

Cheers Mark
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

As someone who is just tiptoeing into reloading.....thank you.

There's a lot of reloading manuals, but most assume you know what the hell you're doing.

I really needed a comprehensive "start at step 1" type thing.
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

MrMurphy wrote:As someone who is just tiptoeing into reloading.....thank you.

There's a lot of reloading manuals, but most assume you know what the hell you're doing.

I really needed a comprehensive "start at step 1" type thing.
You could do a lot worse than have a look at:

https://beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes ... tes.htm/49

Plenty of pictures as well.

It's interesting, at least to me, to look at the join dates of the people participating in this thread.

Cheers Mark
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

mark wrote:...It's interesting, at least to me, to look at the join dates of the people participating in this thread.

Cheers Mark
Mark,
Unless I have this forum mixed up with another one, the posters (or most of them) here joined much earlier than 2007. There was a problem with the website a while back. It was restored - rebooted, actually - and the old join dates were lost, unless the various posters alerted the moderators as to their original join date.

Forum members, correct me if I am wrong.

John
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

mark wrote: You could do a lot worse than have a look at:
https://beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes ... tes.htm/49

Plenty of pictures as well...
Just checked out this beginners' guide to loading the .45-70 at Beartooth. Very good. I have saved it as a PDF.
Thanks, Mark!