RANGE REPORT: H&R .357 Mag Handi-Rifle & a QUESTION?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

RANGE REPORT: H&R .357 Mag Handi-Rifle & a QUESTION?

Post by 1894c »

I shot the H&R .357 Mag Handi-Rifle today...my buddy and I set up a target attached to a box at 75 yards (measured with tape measure)...the attached photo is typical of what this gun can do (used 158 grain, Blazer .357 Mag ammo, aluminum cases) --I had two issues.

1). The Williams receiver sight needs to be changed I had it set lower that it would go and it was still shooting 6" high at 75 yards...didn't try to adjust windage...any suggestions?

2). QUESTION: I've owned H&R single-shot shotguns before and when you broke open the shotgun the shotgun shell would be ejected, flying out of the chamber. Well this Handi-Rifle does not do this...when I broke open this Handi-Rifle the shell only backed out a 1/4", which allowed me to remove the shell---IS THIS NORMAL FOR A HANDI-RIFLE OR DO I NEED TO GET THIS REPAIRED? ... :)
0815141139.jpg
698217.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: RANGE REPORT: H&R .357 Mag Handi-Rifle & a QUESTION?

Post by Nath »

Sounds like you have a non ejector model (if they did one in rifle models !) And you need a higher front sight.
You could of worked how much higher by measuring the rears height and then move it up an easy to remember value and note the impact change and so on.
Think Lyman do a chart!!!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Oh.....and it looks like it can shoot! :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

At some point in the recent past, H&R started using extractors instead of ejectors on all of the Handi Rifles.
As I recall, the ejector feature was not reliable with rimless cases anyhow.

Jack
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

jhrosier wrote:At some point in the recent past, H&R started using extractors instead of ejectors on all of the Handi Rifles.
As I recall, the ejector feature was not reliable with rimless cases anyhow.

Jack

This is correct. The change was made several years ago.

If the Williams peep is not spot on with the front sight, there are different sized front sights that can be had from the factory.
Check here http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-centerfire-rifles/ for everything you need to know about Handi Rifles.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you're off about 6" at 75 yards, it is EASY to estimate the change in sight you need.

75 yards is 2700 inches.
you want to move things 6" at 2700 inches.
that's the same as moving them 0.6" at 270 inches, or 0.06" at 27 inches, right...?

so if your barrel were 27 inches long and sights at each end, you'd need a front sight 0.06" taller.

your front-to-rear-sight distance is probably more like 18", or 2/3 of 27", so 2/3 of 0.06" is 0.04"

Therefore, to get on-target (at the lowest rear sight position) you need a front sight 0.04" taller than your present one.

Now if you want the most 'adjustability' for your sights, you may want to shoot a group with the rear sight in a more 'middle' position, to give you the ability to raise OR lower point of impact with different loads in the future.

If you can't get to the range, you can probably measure the rear sight ramp and determine how much vertical adjustment there is possible (just measure the different height at the front edge of where your sight is now vs. where it would be if in the highest position), and divide that by two to see how much taller your rear sight would be in mid-position. Add that to the 0.04" determined above, and get a front sight that much taller than your current one.

Hope that helps.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

AJMD429 wrote:If you're off about 6" at 75 yards, it is EASY to estimate the change in sight you need.

75 yards is 2700 inches.
you want to move things 6" at 2700 inches.
that's the same as moving them 0.6" at 270 inches, or 0.06" at 27 inches, right...?

so if your barrel were 27 inches long and sights at each end, you'd need a front sight 0.06" taller.

your front-to-rear-sight distance is probably more like 18", or 2/3 of 27", so 2/3 of 0.06" is 0.04"

Therefore, to get on-target (at the lowest rear sight position) you need a front sight 0.04" taller than your present one.

Now if you want the most 'adjustability' for your sights, you may want to shoot a group with the rear sight in a more 'middle' position, to give you the ability to raise OR lower point of impact with different loads in the future.

If you can't get to the range, you can probably measure the rear sight ramp and determine how much vertical adjustment there is possible (just measure the different height at the front edge of where your sight is now vs. where it would be if in the highest position), and divide that by two to see how much taller your rear sight would be in mid-position. Add that to the 0.04" determined above, and get a front sight that much taller than your current one.

Hope that helps.
1894c
You might want to write that down :)
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Bob Hatfield
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bob Hatfield »

For what it is worth I have never seen that Blazer 158 grain 357 faster than 1050 fps in a 6-1/2 inch revolver. It feels like a hard shooting 38 to me. So that 1255 fps or whatever is says on the box is not what the round is doing. With that said a full power round might just bring down the POI.

Bob
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

You will always need a taller front sight with that WGRS sight.
Very cool little rifle though. 8)
NRA Life Member
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds as if you have a nice little rifle on your hands. Once you get a taller front sight, then you should be right where you want it. the group looks fairly tight, and that is from a new barrel that hasn't been broken in yet.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
1894c

Post by 1894c »

piller wrote:Sounds as if you have a nice little rifle on your hands. Once you get a taller front sight, then you should be right where you want it. the group looks fairly tight, and that is from a new barrel that hasn't been broken in yet.
ACTUALLY...the H&R Handi Rifle is used and may have been made in the 80's, although it doesn't look like it wqas shot much... :)