Smilin' Mack's 32/40 factory

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Smilin' Mack's 32/40 factory

Post by earlmck »

Friend George called the other night, said he'd been to a gun show in Pendleton and had acquired a Savage 1899 in 32/40. He'd found one box of shells at the gunshow but they wanted $80 for them and he thought that sounded awful steep.

I assured him we could do better, so ordered up some 32/40 dies (of the Lee persuasion). They arrived yesterday, so I had to see how they'd do reworking some WW 32 Special cases. Also tried some R-P 30/30's. Here's the result:
3240from32spcl.jpg
The two loaded rounds in the center are made from 30/30 cases while the outside loaded rounds are from 32 Special. Empty 32 Special cases were the parent material, so to speak.

The Lee neck expander is such a nice gradual taper that making the cases from 30/30's seemed to add no extra effort and they turned out fully as nicely formed as those from the 32 Special cases, other than it took me a few tries to get the lube cut down to where I didn't get wrinkles. Also found I needed to go in several stages, easing the case in a half inch or so, then backing out and re-smearing lube around. I did note with a bit of disappointment that these Lee dies are not really well polished, especially in the neck area (I think you can tell that from the picture). But when old George shows up here next time (he lives some distance away, over toward the Idaho border) we should have some shootin' ammo to allow us to try out his new baby.

I used 20.5 grains if IMR 4198 with the 170 flat nose and the 165 grain FTX bullets. Old Lyman manual suggestion...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Smilin' Mack's 32/40 factory

Post by AJMD429 »

I just LOVE projects like that. Sounds fun...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

nice job Earl! I know id be anxious in shooting that old 99

ollogger
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Aint hand loading a kick !
8) 8)
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Earl,
That's all I have been doing to make ammo for the 32-40 for many years.......run a 30-30 case in a 32-40 FLS. They do come up a bit short but I just seat the bullet where it should be for max OAL and use a Lee FCD that Lee made for me.

I have done a fair amount of testing the short brass vs. long brass and never could find a difference in accuracy. I use the RCBS bullet with a gas check and 18-20 grains of 5744.

With 6.5 grains of Unique the velocity is right around 1000 and will poke beer cans out to 200 meters------6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Please let us know how they perform in that old 1899..... 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

How about some picks of the old girl?

Mainehunter : :wink:
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Sixgun wrote:Earl,
That's all I have been doing to make ammo for the 32-40 for many years.......run a 30-30 case in a 32-40 FLS. They do come up a bit short but I just seat the bullet where it should be for max OAL and use a Lee FCD that Lee made for me.

I have done a fair amount of testing the short brass vs. long brass and never could find a difference in accuracy. I use the RCBS bullet with a gas check and 18-20 grains of 5744.

With 6.5 grains of Unique the velocity is right around 1000 and will poke beer cans out to 200 meters------6
Turns out that my 30/30 FC die will crimp these slightly short (about .1") 32/40 cases if needed. I'll have to wait for George and his gun to show up so we can try these for final fit before putting in much of a crimp. And if he gets disgusted with his rifle and runs off and leaves it behind I might invest in a .32 mold. Meanwhile we'll muddle along with some jacketed bullets I bought for the 32 Special with the pitted bore that is going to get rebored into something "one of these days".
Mainehunter wrote:How about some picks of the old girl?
I'll try for some pics when the rifle and its owner show up for a visit. Meanwhile, we are ready here.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry