So tell me about the 444 Marlin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

So tell me about the 444 Marlin

Post by TedH »

I've had a lot of Marlins over the years, but never a 444. That's about to change. I bought one off Gunbroker a few days ago, and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. In the meantime I'm gathering components. Brass is scarce as hen's teeth, no luck there so far. I got dies from Midway and I already have bullets that I feed my 44 Mags with.
In particular, I'm interested to know how the big LEE 310 gas checked flat nose bullet will work in the 444.
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: So tell me about the 444 Marlin

Post by Blaine »

I have an early 70s .444.....I think of it as a .44 Magnum ++P
As far as bullet weight, I really don't believe that there is an animal CONUS that a GreenBox 240 won't handle. Maybe, a 265. IM(no expert)O, part of the beauty of the .444 is the extended range you get with the lighter bullets. If you want to emulate the 45-70, and your hunting ranges won't be that far, by all means use the heavy for caliber bullets....I don't hunt much anymore, but my .444 will probably always be in my safe.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

4pt-sika will chime in shortly; he's the 444-man around here.

I have one but have barely scratched the surface with load variations. Neat guns though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

The one I bought is a 444S, pre-safety. These are my favorite Marlins, with the pistol grip stock, forend caps, and 3/4 mag tubes. It will sit nicely along side my 356, and 375 Marlin twins. I was hoping the LEE 310 will shoot so I don't have to buy another mold, it's already a good hunting bullet in other guns I have.
NRA Life Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Mine (I've had several) worked best with 265gr JSP's, Ted.

I once lined up loaded a loaded .45-70, a .444, and a .375 Winchester - the lineup looked identical, except for differing cartridge widths/diameters, and seemed a logical progression.

bluesman423
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bluesman423 »

I have two Marlin 444 rifles, one with Microgroove rifling and one with cut rifling. Both of my rifle's bore measured .431 when I slugged them. Neither will shoot a standard size cast boolit without leading but they do fantastic with a Ranch Dog .432 300 grain boolit with a gas check.

My point is this: I would slug the bore and go .001 to .002 over if you are going to shoot cast boolits.
bluesman423
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bluesman423 »

TedH wrote: In the meantime I'm gathering components. Brass is scarce as hen's teeth, no luck there so far.
TedH I know where there are two 50 round bags of new RP 444 brass in a small shop in my area. They are not inexpensive at $43.95 each but it is a better price than I have found anywhere else. I have all the 444 brass I need and will pick it up for you if you want. The tax rate is 8.5% here and I will cover your shipping. Just let me know.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

After my 444S came home I sold off my clumsy Rem 700 and never looked for a bolt until a few months back. I like the 265 FN Hornady and have no interest in loading bigger than 300 grain bullets. Mine has a Williams FP with hunter adjustments.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

bluesman423 wrote:
TedH wrote: In the meantime I'm gathering components. Brass is scarce as hen's teeth, no luck there so far.
TedH I know where there are two 50 round bags of new RP 444 brass in a small shop in my area. They are not inexpensive at $43.95 each but it is a better price than I have found anywhere else. I have all the 444 brass I need and will pick it up for you if you want. The tax rate is 8.5% here and I will cover your shipping. Just let me know.
Thanks, PM on the way.
NRA Life Member
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That bullet was very accurate in one I had years ago.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that sounds like a great rifle to nestle in with the siblings. they are good shooters and will be a barrel of fun.

the question about the 310gr bullet will be decided by the rifling. the microgroove barrel is the same super show twist of the marlin 44 mag, I forget what it is. some few slow spin marlins will stabilize a 300 gr bullet, some will not. I've read good things about 290 gr loads. it is a bit like the express rifles of yore in that regard.

if you have a ballard barrel the twist will be faster and should stabilize the 310.

heavy for caliber is the BTB 405gr .432 hard cast that I shoot from my revolver. that bullet will give you 45/70 class performance at the sedate original 45/70 velocities and penetrate clear on over into tomorrow.

as Blaine said it is the +++Pee version of the 44 mag, and was designed to be, and extends 44 mag performance out another 100+ yards.

bullet construction is important because a lightly constructed bullet at close in range will not perform well on hard large bones, compared to a hard cast or heavily constructed solid. it hammers deer and hogs and I suppose anything that walks will be unable to resist it.

You're going to have a lot of fun with that rifle.

Grizz
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

This one is a micro groove barrel. I think it's a 1-38" twist.
NRA Life Member
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That is what mine was. In addition to the 310 cast, the Hornady 300 and 265s were also very accurate. It would not stabilize a 362 cast.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I know no one called 4pt something or other . But as to the 444 the gun you have had the 1-38 twist micro groove barrel . A good many people would have you believe its of no use for cast and that's s load of stuff . I have the Lee 310 grain mold and it does nicely pushed with H322 IMR8208 or XMR2015 . May I suggest if you find upu like the cartridge after shooting it some , see if you can find a Ranch Dog 432-265GC mold as that's about the best all around cast mold you càn have . Lots of folks will also tell you anything over 310 grains won't stabslize in these rifles and again stuff . I've gone as high as 375 grains with acceptable deer accuracy . Granted once I passed 315 grains I needed to water quench the wheelwright alloy bullets and push them a good bit .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I might add as I write this on my I Phone I'm sitting in a tree stand waiting for deer on a DCP and just happen to have my little Retro 444P 1967 rifle with me loaded with the Lyman 429650 , the RCBS 44-300 SWC and the Saeco #433 all pushed with 50 grains of H322 and lit with CCI200's . All three of the 300 grainers shoot the same POI at 50 yards and close enough at 100 yards for deer lung shots . Also have a Ruger #1B 280 for anything past 125 yards . If one had them they may as well use them !!!!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BTW you will be well advised to call Buffalo Srms and get a .432 or .433 lubricant sizer die . I use a .433 exclusively now . I think the largest Lyman or RCBS make is .431 , I have one that size also but never use it anymore .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I think I have about forty different molds for the 444 anything from 207 all the way up to 450 . I have found the 1-38 Micro will handle water quenched WW alloy bullets up to 375 grains . In my Ballard gun I only shoot 390-450 grainers and it so far has done well with everything put in it . Also of all the molds I have there are four that I think perfect for my needs in the Micro guns . The first is a cast polite group buy 434-207GC , the Ranch Dog 432-265GC , my hybrid RD/MM 432-325GC and my Hybrid RD/BRP 432-375GC . For the 1-20 Ballard gun I have a hybrid RD/BRP 432-400GC in FP and HP versions I like quite a bit .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ok; so I was off two points (4pt vs. 6pt :wink: ). At least I knew who the real expert here was when it comes to the triple 4. :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I'm pretty pleased with the one I picked up about 5 years ago. I hunt under the heavy dark timber, therefore the 4X Leupold. The really nice thing about this particular rifle is how close it puts different bullet weights to the same point of aim. A while back I shot three 240JSP, three 255gr cast, three 265JSP, three 280gr cast and three 300gr cast into the same target and ended up with a 2" group at 100 yards. :shock:

The first elk I shot with it was with a 240gr JSP at 80 yards. Dead bull.

The next was with the 255gr cast around 100 yards. Dead bull.

Last season was the 300gr cast at around 60 yards flying through the timber. Dead bull.

I should mention, I use 3031 exclusively, though I'm sure there are better powders. Just sheer laziness and the overall volume of 3031 that I have, plus I get acceptable accuracy and velocity. I'm not a hotrod, I just wanna kill elk!
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

Just picked up the October Shooting Times at the grocery store. There's a good article on the .444 that gets into the same twist/bullet weight differences others here have talked about.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Thank you, Sir. I will look for that tomorrow.
NRA Life Member