Handloading question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Handloading question

Post by wm »

Is there an adavantage to having a taper crimp on a revolver round like 38 spl or 44 mag?

I have the opportunity to buy a couple of used (well maybe not used but previously owned) taper crimp reloading dies but I'm not sure what I would use them for. I can't see the advantage in a revolver but maybe in the process of feeding in a lever action? I'm skeptical of even that but hey I long since realized I know enough to know I don't know enough.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Handloading question

Post by J Miller »

WM,

I use a taper crimp on revolver ammo that I load with plated bullets such as Rainiers. ALL others get roll crimps.
The plated bullets can be damaged by a roll crimp. The bond between the plating and lead can be broken and then you'll have plating fused to the forcing cone and spitting out the side of the barrel / cylinder gap. This is said from personal experience, not internet legend.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Joe gave an excellent example. Others can be when you want to crimp a lead bullet in a different spot because of a cylinder length issue or some swaged bullets just don't have a crimp groove.

Never pass up on tools if they can be had fairly priced. Tools take up little room and do not eat.-----6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I've had good results with the Lee Factory crimp dies.
The taper crimp makes it easier to get a good crimp if you have odd lots of brass with slightly different case wall thicknesses and lengths. A roll crimp is more critical of variations.

Sometimes thick brass and large diameter bullets seated deeply, or a heavy roll crimp on a long case will bulge the cartridge so that it won't chamber easily.
The Lee factory crimp dies for straight walled pistol cartridges also has a carbide sizing ring that will ensure that the cartridges will fit in a standard chamber.

Jack
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

The Lee factory crimp dies for straight walled pistol cartridges also has a carbide sizing ring that will ensure that the cartridges will fit in a standard chamber.
and herein lies the rub

if you are shooting cast lead that is a thou or more over bore size and you resize them in the crimper you lose the benefits of the original size bullet. I think.

Grizz
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Grizz wrote:......if you are shooting cast lead that is a thou or more over bore size and you resize them in the crimper you lose the benefits of the original size bullet. I think.
Grizz
You are correct.
I hadn't thought about that as I haven't needed to use oversized bullets in my handguns.

I don't know just how small the sizer is though. Perhaps there is still a couple of thousandths of clearance.

Jack
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Grizz wrote:
and herein lies the rub - if you are shooting cast lead that is a thou or more over bore size and you resize them in the crimper you lose the benefits of the original size bullet. I think.
Haven't measured to check this scenario out, but I think it might not be a problem. Given the slight taper that even most 'straight-wall' cartridges have, the carbide ring at the base of the die may not be smaller than most 'oversize' cast bullets.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have experience with two (2) LFC die calibers: .45 Colt and 30-30.

With the .45 Colt the actual SAAMI spec for the bullet diameter is .456" ±. And the SAAMI specs for the case diameter is much bigger than that. I routinely use .454" to .457" bullets in my .45 Colts and have never had the LFC die alter the seated bullet size, unless the case buckled or bulged or the bullet had seated crooked. Good case prep prior to bullet seating helps to prevent this.

I will say that I am not familiar with other straight walled pistol cartridges and the use of the LFC die. So there might be come resizing if you use bullets much over the norm on other rounds.
This is because I was so unimpressed with the LFC dies I do have I've never bought any more and rarely use the ones I have.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

My Lee factory crimp die (which now resides in a landfill somewhere in Southern Oregon) sized down my carefully cast and sized .432" bullets as much as .002" -.003", depending on brass wall thickness...

But I do use the Lee FCD for rifle cartridges n my 30-06, 30-30, and .223 ammo.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

mikld wrote:My Lee factory crimp die (which now resides in a landfill somewhere in Southern Oregon) sized down my carefully cast and sized .432" bullets as much as .002" -.003", depending on brass wall thickness...

But I do use the Lee FCD for rifle cartridges n my 30-06, 30-30, and .223 ammo.

mikld,
You know what I use mine for the most? I take the seater / crimper out and use the ring in the body to size balloon head cases. By using the right combination of tools I can size them right down to the rim. Works great.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Joe
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I knocked the carbide ring outta my FCD, but I got a crappy crimp on my ammo, I just went back to my Redding profile die...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:Joe gave an excellent example. Others can be when you want to crimp a lead bullet in a different spot because of a cylinder length issue or some swaged bullets just don't have a crimp groove.

Never pass up on tools if they can be had fairly priced. Tools take up little room and do not eat.-----6
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Thanks guys.....appreciate the shared knowledge