Anyone close to Cheyenne, WY

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Anyone close to Cheyenne, WY

Post by 3leggedturtle »

My kid wants to reload. Would anyone be willing to walk him thru it. He could drive anywhere up to 100 miles away. I sent him a Lee and Lyman manual to read up on and he's been getting info off the net too. He is shooting an '03A3 and a Glock 19. Wants to start with those 2 calibers. I sent him a 30/30 Topper and a Handi in 17HMR to complete his needs so far. thanks Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Anyone close to Cheyenne, WY

Post by Griff »

Good luck. I'm the process of teaching my son... He's been doing it for about 4 mos... he already knows more than "DAD"! At least in his mind that's the case!!! :roll:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I know this may sound archaic and cruel, but I started on the old original Lee Loader. The one that you had to use a plastic mallet to tap each step through.
I had the original Lee loading manual with complete additional instructions as well. (Still have them all.)

For someone who can read and comprehend English but has no one near him to walk him through it, I'd suggest sending him one of those for the -06. But with the proviso of sending a hand priming unit too. They are great for teaching the basics. One step at a time.

Lee still sells them as far as I know.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I see Glock and reloading in the same sentence together and get a bad feeling.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

If you go to Midway, you will find several selections of good instructional videos for less than the price of gas to drive to Cheyenne.

Here you will find many, many free videos on different aspects of reloading. http://www.rcbs.com/resources/videos/

There are many others available. Better to let the experts do the instruction.

Being a young guy and a beginning reloader, chances are very good that he will want to "hot rod" his loads, driving them as fast as he possibly can, using the absolute maximum of powder called for in the manuals, if not more.

At all costs you must break him of this immediately.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote:Good luck. I'm the process of teaching my son... He's been doing it for about 4 mos... he already knows more than "DAD"! At least in his mind that's the case!!! :roll:

Ha! You snooze.....you lose and you cannot go back in time. When my son was just a youngster, I had him resizing and other boring jobs. Today, he knows he don't know more than me but......he has more money and that leads to a steady diet of jacketed bullets for his guns, unlike me and lead, so that translates into that he has little to no knowledge on casting, which, to me is just as important as knowing how to load.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Well, ain't it always the way...

Until last weekend I lived a whopping 88mi from Cheyenne...

Ah well.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Tattoo on his forehead, backward, so he can read it in a mirror, "Thou shalt use ONLY published loads, and always begin with the starting load. OAL and crimp are important."
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

BlaineG wrote:Tattoo on his forehead, backward, so he can read it in a mirror, "Thou shalt use ONLY published loads, and always begin with the starting load. OAL and crimp are important."
O I thanks for the thought.

Blaine, he only wants to shoot a 150gr bullet out of the '06 at 2800fps or so. Ain't no hot rodder. Makes me glad of that :D He even sold off his crotch rocket to pay off students loans. Guess he listened to me a little when he was younger; about living with in your means.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

3leggedturtle wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Tattoo on his forehead, backward, so he can read it in a mirror, "Thou shalt use ONLY published loads, and always begin with the starting load. OAL and crimp are important."
O I thanks for the thought.

Blaine, he only wants to shoot a 150gr bullet out of the '06 at 2800fps or so. Ain't no hot rodder. Makes me glad of that :D He even sold off his crotch rocket to pay off students loans. Guess he listened to me a little when he was younger; about living with in your means.
Prayers are sometimes answered in the affirmative... 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The early Glock 9mms had a problem due to an unsupported area near the feed ramp. that was somewhat corrected in later Generations, or so they say. I also saw that Redding makes a special die for Glock shooters to remove the GLOCK BULGE.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.