UK Visit (photos)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

UK Visit (photos)

Post by KirkD »

While in Winchester, I was able to have a very good visit with fellow lever gunner, Game Keeper. It was an enormous pleasure to spend time with him and it went way too fast! He was able to line me up with a friend of his who knew a place where I could catch some Grayling, which are native to England. We have them in Canada, but only way up North and I'd never caught one. Actually catching one on a fly rod would be a dream come true. Here's me fishing (photo by Game Keeper) ...

Glory be! I caught two of them that afternoon. Here's my very first one (Game Keeper is an excellent photographer, with a good eye for composition) ....

Tomorrow evening, my wife and I will be meeting another fellow lever gunner, Nath. I am very much looking forward to it.

Here is a photo of the Queen of Hearts (aka my wife) admiring the view at our B&B this morning part way up the side of the gorgeous Grwyne Fawr valley. Wales is amazing.

Last edited by KirkD on Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: UK Visit (photos)

Post by OldWin »

Good to hear from you Kirk. What a great trip! That's great you guys got to meet up and visit.
Have a wonderful and safe trip.

Drink a warm glass of beer for me! :lol:
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

Great scenery there. I've always wanted to fly fish in Great Britain. I see the stream you're fishing is like many over there......no back casting possible. Were you allowed to wade? I know that's not done in most places either. Quite a challenge just getting your fly where you want it. Dry or wet flies? I just got through going through The Compleat Angler again yesterday for about the hundredth time in the last fifty years. Maybe someday.........? Hope your entire trip was as enjoyable. Thanks for posting.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Back casting was possible in some places but in most places I had to roll cast or sling shot my fly (pull back on the fly with my fingers and let 'er go). Wading was permissible on that stretch. Can't speak for anywhere else.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Great to hear from you Kirk, I have been wondering about you trip. Sure glad ya'll made the effort to meet up with Gamekeeper and Nath. Looks like a good trout steam too.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

It was really great to meet Kirk after all these years knowing each other only via Leverguns.
I was only too pleased to help with the Grayling fishing even if I nearly sabotaged Kirk by buying him a pint of Scrumpy cider 7.3% at the pub by the river before we started... :oops:
The night before, after a meal in a pub by the side of the river Itchen, I showed Kirk and his lovely wife some Trout in the mill stream that runs through Winchester, we also looked at some ancient stone coffins near the Cathedral Grounds.
Enjoy the rest of your stay Kirk.... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

An excellent breath of fresh air post. 8)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Although, I'd have to get to Scotland...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

casastahle wrote:An excellent breath of fresh air post. 8)
Absolutely!

More pictures, please. :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Looks as if you had a great time.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

game keeper wrote: I was only too pleased to help with the Grayling fishing even if I nearly sabotaged Kirk by buying him a pint of Scrumpy cider 7.3% at the pub by the river before we started... :oops:
By gum, I didn't know that apple cider was that well fortified, nor that it came in such a large vat. I only had one before we went down to the stream, but any more and I would have been in the water with the Grayling. Fortunately, a stroll into a thick patch of stinging nettles helped clear the head and get my casting arm back on track. :D
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Wonderful pics, congrats on your first Grayling. Looks like you had a wonderful time. Welcome home.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks GK....brilliant photo's :)

Thanks to Kirk and QoH's for the opportunity to meet. A good meeting of minds and hearts.

Glad the weather was good for you too.

Jayne sends her greetings.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

If any other Levergunners come across the pond, I can't guarantee they'll catch a fish but I sure know some cool pubs... :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.