LCP...didn't need it, got it anyways

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

LCP...didn't need it, got it anyways

Post by 1894c »

I just purchased a RUGER LCP .380ACP. Now this is not my favorite round, I have some reservations, but I do know that the ammo has improved allot since I last owned a .380 (prior experience: Colt Government 380, Colt Mustang, Walther PPK, PPK/s). I decided to get one after shooting an old friends, I was very surprised at the accuracy, the reliability, the lack of recoil, and of course the size and weight (trigger pull is good too). I paid an xtra $20.00 and bought a stainless version.

My main purpose in getting the LCP is to use it for shorts/flip-flop weather. I used to carry J-frame style revolvers, but like the ability to reload with a magazine--all of my revolvers went down the road three years ago...the Glock 26 is still my EDC/BUG, but the LCP is an interesting choice...really hate to say it, but I really like the LCP... :)

QUESTION: since the barrel is only 2 3/4" would it make more sense to just carry FMJ over JHP..?
I bought some JHP's, but wonder if penetration shouldn't be the main focus with this gun/caliber...right about
here is where someone will tell me to carry a .45ACP in FMJ and never look-back---that's why I own a Glock 30SF... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Re: LCP...didn't need it, got it anyways

Post by guido4198 »

Welcome to the LCP club.
Like many others here...I have a variety of handguns to choose from for concealed carry. Here in Florida....I found MOST of them were spending waaayyyy too much time at home while I was out-and-about.
I got an LCP, and not only LOVE the little thing for it's shoot-a-bility,(is that even a real word..??) but also for the fact that it is most often dropped in my pocket when I go out while the other choices I have to pick from wave goodbye...and remain at home.
As to ammo choice, also keeping in mind that I'm in Florida where we encounter very very few individuals in heavy winter clothing, I have chosen Remington "Golden Saber" 102 gn JHP. In cold weather, when both I and most potential bad guys are more heavily dressed..I'm carrying a better choice than the .380. :)
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Welcome aboard the LCP train.
So far finding mine to be perfect for summertime CC.

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I figured you would be using FMJ since that's about all anybody can find nowadays. I can't remember the last time I saw HP .380 (that wasn't triple price). I always wanted a LCP but they never got to the price point I wanted. (they stayed above MSRP around here for a looooong time). Now I can get a G42 cheaper so I'm on the waiting list for one at my supply store. I picked up a 100-round box of FMJ at a Walmart 200 miles from me 6 months ago. Haven't seen any close by....
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Dang little dudes really are useful, aren't they? I may have to join the club too, one o' these days.
My current itty-bitty is a NAA Earl in .22 Magnum, but it's inaccurate and kind of fumbly.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

QUESTION: since the barrel is only 2 3/4" would it make more sense to just carry FMJ over JHP..?
this is a good question and I answered it for myself by doing penetration tests. the american eagle fmj fp penetrates water jugs to the exact same spot as the 9mm gold dot, into the third jug. it's the only load for my wife's lcp. it will break bones.

there are gelatin pen test videos where a certain 380 load penetrates 24 inches.

the problem is that the hollowpoints do not, to my knowledge, penetrate well or reliably.

as always, don't trust, but verify...

Grizz
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I too love my little LCP, I find it accurate and easy to shoot. It often rides in the pocket of my shorts around the house. It has a good trigger and mine has not malfunctioned in over 500 RDS.

I am currently carrying Gold Dots in mine, but my extra mag carries FMJ FP, and it sometimes gets loaded first particularly in winter.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mine has the Crimson Trace option built into it....I don't like to holster, so this is perfect for the leather vest I wear all the time. I have that wonderful little S&W 317 AirLite, but I'd rather have 7 shots of .380 than 8 shots of Stingers....and two mags in another pocket.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

a heads up, there are 10 and 15 round mags available for the lcp. seeing how much trouble I am having finding ruger mags for my 22 I'm going to get some of the lcp mags while I still can.....
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My first thought would be to go with FMJ/penetration.

A work of caution though use a pocket holster of some kind. It will keep lint and dirt out of places there it shouldn't be. An Uncle Mike's IWB holster with the clip removed will work just fine if nothing else can be found.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Indigo22
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Indigo22 »

I carry Hydra shocks in mine... I've swapped out a few parts since I got it. The lcp has proven itself reliable with no failures. I rely on a good pocket holster from Bear Creek Holsters.
John

No matter what he does, every person on earth plays a central role in the history of the world. And normally he doesn't know it.

Paulo Coelho
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Sharp looking holster 8)
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Indigo, what parts have you swapped out besides the trigger?
Indigo22
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Indigo22 »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Indigo, what parts have you swapped out besides the trigger?
I upgraded the springs to the Wolff 12# spring set. The new springs reduce the felt recoil and doesn't pitch my brass quite so far. I installed a set of Pearce grip extensions, although the Ruger extension is a little shorter and fit my hand a little better, Ruger at the time didn't sell their extensions separately. I've grown used to the Pearce brand and appreciate the other half finger that I can get on the grip with them. And of course the RTK "Sweet Pea" trigger has made a big difference for me.
John

No matter what he does, every person on earth plays a central role in the history of the world. And normally he doesn't know it.

Paulo Coelho
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

When Ruger came out with the LCP I remarked at how much they looked like the Kel Tec P3AT.
I still think so. I carry a P3AT in a pocket holster every day.I really like the little .380's.
.380 after all is just a 9MM short.
Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

My 380 gel tests may be of interest in case some of you all didn't see it first time around. Since then I have sold the PPK, and now am carrying a G42. The PPK had an extremely short throat, so I had to seat the cast flat nose bullets very deep, and hence they weren't the best in the feeding department. The little Glock has a longer thoat and will gobble them up at normal seating depth. They are very accurate to boot, so that's what I've been carrying in my 380.
I intend to do some more gel tests with it when I get my hands on a couple more different hollow points, and I cast some softer cast bullets.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... it=380+Gel
NRA Life Member
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ted, can you shoot cast in your G42? It's supposed to be a no-no in the bigger caliber Glocks.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks Ted

this is very good info.

Re-reading the older thread makes me wonder if there's something to be gained by reducing the velocity of the cast bullet to control over-penetration.

The hollowpoint penetration doesn't strike me as enough, and the bouncing bullet seems a 'little' over.

I gave up on one of the hps because the jackets were separating, I see they held up in your gel test. Still carry the american eagle ??gr fmjfp as the closest to the 9mm gold dots in reach.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Indigo, I just checked out that Sweat Pea trigger on RTK's site. Looks like a worthwhile upgrade for $50.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Ted, can you shoot cast in your G42? It's supposed to be a no-no in the bigger caliber Glocks.
The issue with cast bullets in Glocks stems from the Glock's polygonal rifling being more prone to stripping lead and fouling to the point where a loaded cartridge wouldn't fully chamber, but the gun would still fire, but then blow out the unsupported portion of the case and send lots of joy down into the mag well. I've shot lots of cast bullets in a couple different Glocks, just making sure they fit well, and are properly lubed. I never had any fouling issues. Now I am powder coating most all of my cast bullets, which basically makes them polymer jacketed bullets. No lead fouling at all, and though I've been wrong before, I think they are just fine in the G42. I shot 100 rounds last time out to the range and the barrel cleaned up shiney and spotless with one wet patch and one dry patch.

I am thinking that 103 gr. bullet cast of a softer 50-50 wheelweight/lead alloy will allow for some deformation and thus reduce it's penetration, while the powder coating will allow trouble free full power loads to propel them. Need to get on that, but I have too many irons in the fire right now.
NRA Life Member
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

My experience mimics the OP and others. I reluctantly bought one and find in the swampy 90+ degree days it gets carried a lot motor then than even my compact S&W Shield. It shoots well and has been 100% reliable. I have both HP and FMJ loadings, but I carry Winchester factory FMJ-FP. My logic is penetration is at a premium with a .380 so go with FMJ and the FP may perform a bit better than the typical FMJ-RN (kind of like a cast FP does in game).
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Ted, I was about to post a question about those powder coat bullets last night. I'm thinking I remember years when there was a bullet (loaded only IIRC) called Ny-Clad. I remember them being sold under the Smith & Wesson brand, then Federal. Someone corect me if I'm wrong.
As I remember they were great stoppers with really good expansion.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Yep, I had some Federal NyClad 38 Spl. back in the early 90's. That box that I had was the only ones I remember ever seeing though. I think they were a hollow point with that nylon material jacket.
NRA Life Member
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ted, good to hear you're powder coated pills are slipping through your Glock like grease. I think a heavyish bullet with a big meplat makes a lot of sense in a .380.
That said, are we still worried about legal liability issues if we carry more effective handloads in our personal protection firearms? This issue used to raised a lot in the gun press, but I wonder if it is mostly a red herring.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That was brought up when I took my ccw class. The attorney that was there to teach the legalities said that had never been an issue in any case he had ever heard of, not to worry about it. Besides, these cheapo homemade cast bullets are just my practice ammo. Everybody knows you need a high dollar jacketed hollow point if you really want to do some damage. Cast bullets are just for punching paper. :wink:
NRA Life Member
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Further tempting me to nab one o' these is the increasing availability of ammo online. See Lucky Gunner, for example.
Indigo22
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Indigo22 »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Indigo, I just checked out that Sweat Pea trigger on RTK's site. Looks like a worthwhile upgrade for $50.
Yes Bill, it is well worth the $50 for me. With the adjust-ability and the slightly different angle of the trigger it has aided greatly in my ability to shoot with my off hand should I need to. (I'm missing the tip of my left index finger down to the first knuckle) Prior to changing the trigger I had to shift the pistol in my hand to reach the trigger then shift it back to get a proper hold on the grip before continuing the pull. This has now been corrected. From what I heard the stock trigger on LCP's will bite some peoples finger the Sweet Pea was originally designed to fix that issue. I had never experienced the finger bite problem myself. RTK now makes triggers for a whole bunch of different pocket pistols.
John

Paulo Coelho
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm not knocking anyone getting different trigger, but I'd be leary of trying to improve something that has proven itself 100% reliable. I "improved" my 317 mouse gun with a professionally recommended spring that lightened the pull, and it didn't go boom all the time due to light strikes...BTW, that dang thing eats my trigger finger alive :lol: :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Indigo22
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Indigo22 »

BlaineG wrote:I'm not knocking anyone getting different trigger, but I'd be leary of trying to improve something that has proven itself 100% reliable. I "improved" my 317 mouse gun with a professionally recommended spring that lightened the pull, and it didn't go boom all the time due to light strikes...BTW, that dang thing eats my trigger finger alive :lol: :lol:
I would have to agree with you on the part of being leery of trading out parts that will change the reliability of any firearm. I wouldn't have changed out any parts had I not been confident in both my ability to do the swap and that the parts will do what they are designed to do without ill effects. That being said a gunsmith I worked with said that more work came into his shop because of people taking the advice of professionals than anything. His advice was to polish first change the springs only as a last resort if ever. Hammer springs go heavier, trigger springs only a tad lighter, If the same spring does both ... leave it be and do more polishing. He was the armorer for a local police force competition team that regularly went to the state finals. He was a crusty old fanny burp but he knew his stuff.
John

Paulo Coelho
TerminalLance80
Levergunner

Post by TerminalLance80 »

Nice purchase. I have been carrying a Glock 26 around and that thing is like a brick. I will probably be getting an LCP soon. Let me know what ammo you end up going with.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

I carry this in my .380. Barnes 80 gr. solid copper H.P. , 1000 fps in a Keltec or LCP:

Image http://mygunculture.com/review-doubleta ... c-xp-80gr/
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

I really wanted a G42, but none were to be found so ended up getting an Elsie Pea with CT laser. It's a heck of a lot more concealable than the G42 and holds the same amount of ammo AND I can use the BabyUpLULA to load the mags. :mrgreen:

P.S. Picked up a Lee 356-95fn mold and ran a bunch off using Lyman #2 lead for near jacketed speeds out of my Elsie with no leading. :)
Indigo22
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Indigo22 »

I'd like to try the doubletap ammo. I'll watch for it and pick up a box.
John

Paulo Coelho
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

1894cfan wrote:I really wanted a G42, but none were to be found so ended up getting an Elsie Pea with CT laser. It's a heck of a lot more concealable than the G42 and holds the same amount of ammo AND I can use the BabyUpLULA to load the mags. :mrgreen:

P.S. Picked up a Lee 356-95fn mold and ran a bunch off using Lyman #2 lead for near jacketed speeds out of my Elsie with no leading. :)
I'm probably going to get another one. Easiest way to carry the spare magazine. new-york reload, and two of them are still lighter than the glocks, and easier to hide.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Grizz, with an LCP in each hand, you'd better be wearing that pink thong ...

:lol:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Grizz, with an LCP in each hand, you'd better be wearing that pink thong ...

not my thing..... I'll just go with a loincloth and one desert tan and one bad black elsie, with my hog spear stuck into the dirt in front of me ... :lol:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Grizz wrote:
Bill in Oregon wrote:Grizz, with an LCP in each hand, you'd better be wearing that pink thong ...

not my thing..... I'll just go with a loincloth and one desert tan and one bad black elsie, with my hog spear stuck into the dirt in front of me ... :lol:
:D
Last edited by cshold on Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Not at all how I had pictured Grizz.
NRA Life Member
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Funny, me either ...
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that's the running partner....

I said loincloth, not miniskirt. Heh heh
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

TedH wrote:Not at all how I had pictured Grizz.
:D
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Y'all still happy with your LCPs?
I'm still on the fence on LCP vs. LC9 for CCW.
I have an XD-M in .45, but it is just too darned big.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Y'all still happy with your LCPs?
Absolutely,
It's the first one I've ever had that spends more time on me than time in a drawer.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Given your choice in other handguns, Bill, I'll opine that you'll like the LCP - but you might want to take a hard look at the newer 9mm Ruger.

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Pete, that's a fine pistol but a bit bulkier than the XD-M as far as I can tell. I'm looking for something I will actually carry -- kind of like Casa said.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Penetration is everything for the .380. FMJ, or sounds like cast lead is into a bad choice.

Make sure you use a holster designed for pocket carry if carrying in a pocket. The type that hooks one way or another is best:

Lots of talk of the Glock 42, but the LCP so far seems to have a stronger track record for reliability, with advantages in size, too.

Someone mentioned legal issues with hand loads, but the only one I have heard to be a real issue is downloading a .44 mag, for example, which could make it seem you were farther from your target than you actually were.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The .380 is about the only caliber I'd actually recommend FMJ due to the lackluster performance of most JHPs in the round.

Which is why I carry a 9mm offduty and as a backup. :)
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Since I first created this post I have sold the Ruger LCP (.380acp) to a retired LEO friend in his mid-70's...he looked at the gun one day when I was carrying and commented that at his advanced age the LCP would be a good choice. So I sold him the gun and four boxes of ammo. My present EDC/BUG is one of two Glock 26's, still pocket carry... :)

sideNOTE: examined and shot the Glock 42 in .380acp, I'm a Glock-fanboy, but if I were to buy another .380acp it would be the Ruger LCR... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Glock 42 at about 10 yards - (the markings at my indoor range arent super precise) -- thats also not a standard b-27 target either-- this one is the small one printed on regular 8 x 11 paper --- i'd say the Glock 42 is accurate enough to be a pretty good deterrent for me -- i like it :) I cannot shoot a bigger glock much better if i am shooting at abrisk pace

--- that is 12 shots (2 6 rd magazines) --- i do see a couple of "mulligans" in there typical for me when getting used to any new gun - but the rest are right where they need to be ---
If you guys and gals can shoot the Ruger 380 like this, you are also a force to be reckoned with :lol:

----- Doug
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Y'all still happy with your LCPs?
YUP...
Another one who can honestly say that the LCP is the first CCW that I have owned which actually just stays on me more often than not.
Over the years....depending on the situation and for specific events, or travels, I've carried everything from a full sized 1911 in a Jackass shoulder holster, to an Ithaca 37 M&P 12 ga. tucked under my armpit on a cord looped over my shoulder, concealed by a full length oilskin duster. :shock:
(Did I mention I used to ride with a kinda rough crowd...??? :) ).
The little Ruger stays in my pocket and will be a LOT more useful than ANYTHING I have in the safe at home should I ever again need the deadly force option.