When I grow up I want to be just like Sixgun!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

When I grow up I want to be just like Sixgun!

Post by 2ndovc »

After Sixgun's post about his 10# Ruger I had to have one. A little searching and a little trading
and this arrived yesterday!

It also came with the case and all the accessories that Jack has as well as a few things I added to it.
And like Jack's rifle the optics STINK! So I'm on the lookout for a Unertl to have added on a separate
set of mounts. I know it won't be original but I'll let the kids worry about that. I'm here to shoot!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: When I grow up I want to be just like Sixgun!

Post by FWiedner »

Maybe it's just me and my lack of appreciation for things 'vintage', but this I know...

If I bolt a 4-foot pipe on top of a rifle, I BETTER be able to target electrons at 100yds.

:?

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I wouldn't expect a scope mounted to the muzzle to be conducive to ideal barrel harmonics, either...

Cool gun though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thing is these scopes were made Pre-WWII so I didn't expect a lot, especially after Sixgun's review.
Really didn't care, it is a base for something I've wanted for sometime and I'm very happy with it.
The stuff I traded for it cost me very little, not that it matters really. I wanted it and I'm happy.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Sixgun has to grow up first . :lol: It might be a while.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Great looking rig hope it continues to keep you happy.
It is not the critic who counts
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

BenT wrote:Sixgun has to grow up first . :lol: It might be a while.
Hey, hey there! If I wanted to hear an aszhole, I'd fanny burp. :D Come on...that was a good one! :D

I hear it all the time from everyone and I'm absolutely refuse to act my age. Years ago I decided to act my shoe size and leave it at that.

OK, on to Jason's rifle. Through PM's we discussed the optics and his are just as bad as mine. Like he said, they are from the 1920's. I got mine out the other day for the first time with heavy loads and the rifle really shoots. 10 shots under 2" at 100 meters with 420 grain bullets at 1450. The heavy rifle does nothing to dampen the recoil. With the scope all the way up, it was still about a foot low. JUNK! Even in the bright light we had on Monday, it looked like dusk.

But....the important part, in that the rifle shoots gives me the incentive to buy a high end Nikon ($4-500) with mil dots. The mil dots is probably the best invention since sliced bread, because I don't think there is a scope made that will give elevation from 100 to 1000 meters with the trajectory of the 45-70.

I was shooting at the 500 meter ram and I found I had to aim on a rock about 15-20' in order
to lob those 420 grainers in there.

One thing about the Ruger #1.......no fear of eating steel....that baby will handle a case full of about any powder ever invented. I'm gonna try to load up a few with some C-4 and see if I get flattened primers.

Oh! Jason. Thanks for the compliment. Yes, if you eat your Wheaties, drink plenty of orange juice, shoot a lot, drive a real vehicle (drop the Vet and get a Jeep) and take 4 bottles of aszhole pills everyday, you can be just like me when you,reach the tender age of 59. If you want to reach it a little faster, send Blondie over here for a weekend.....you can stay home! :D

Good luck brother....we will discuss optics in the near future. I really hate to drill and tap the action but what the hell......life is short.------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Glenn »

Yes, those Lyman Ruger's shoot low from the factory. Get a taller scope base for the rear, or a shorter one for the front, or both. Now I can sight in at 200 yards with a 420 gr. CB doing 1330 fps.
Glenn
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Glenn wrote:Yes, those Lyman Ruger's shoot low from the factory. Get a taller scope base for the rear, or a shorter one for the front, or both. Now I can sight in at 200 yards with a 420 gr. CB doing 1330 fps.
Glenn

Glen,
I was going to do that but the rear mount still gives little in the way of elevation. I figured that even if I mounted it to shoot POI at 100 meters with its lowest setting, the best I could do with the elevation all the way up would be 300 meters.

Thats why Im going to stick a Nikon on there with mil dots.------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD