You're peeing Walmart off.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

You're peeing Walmart off.

Post by Panzercat »

Kind of a fun story.

Take the wife up to Prescott Valley for their weekend swap meet to see what junk there is to be found. We both love the yard sale atmosphere and the weather was great versus what we've got down here in Phoenix. there's always somebody selling their guns there, but lately that number seems to have increased... In a bad way. Like the gun shows, these people don't seem to have gotten the message that their piece of stuff rifle isn't worth the premium they're asking, but one vendor stood out in particular.

He/They had a trailer and a few tables set up full of miscellaneous rifles, guns, parts and ammo. So I walk in and start taking a gander at their ammo selection. In retrospect, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised to find Federal bulk .22 going for $65 dollars/box of 500. No, not playing that game. Moving on, I asked the guy if he has an 1911 mags. He points me to his table full of assorted beat up stuff. I find a few in pretty meh condition... At $25 dollars a mag. What the heck?! Alright, this is a swapmeet so maybe he's expecting me to bargain.

But first, function check!

I asked if he minded I try them out and he stares at me for a solid thirty seconds as if trying to divine my meaning. He finally realizes I have my piece on me and says sure, and most people just buy them blind. I'm sure they do. None of them feed reliably and hang up in the magwell going in. Maybe that's something some reconditioning can fix, but not worth the premium they're asking. I offer $10 and am declined, no counter offer. I walk.

So if you're up and Prescott and see these weenies, avoid them like the plague.

Segue into the Walmart part of this tale. Today (next day) I'm in walmart and ask if they have any .22lr, kind of already knowing the answer. Sure enough, no stock, and boy did I light the a fire under the guys butt as he starts complaining about how they had some that morning, but people were literally fighting over the inventory. In fact, not just people, but the same people, over and over again every single morning driven by some halfwit app that may or may not be accurate, then trying to get the staff in trouble when they don't have availability for any number of mundane reasons I can attest to having worked in retail. He says they're threatening to refuse these people sale because that's the only reason they're even in the store, not to buy other product.

I'm sure a lot of that last part was the rep blowing off steam, not actual policy being considered.

And I gotta say, it's beginning to pee me off too. Everybody is short for no better reason than late to the game panic preppers or- my personal belief -these morons choking stock so they can resell it in gunshows and up in Prescott for $65/box at 300% profit. I'm thinking it's time to turn off the .22 spigot at walmart for a month or so. Let stock build up in the back room until enough can be deployed at once and keep a strict one box per day limit (hell, maybe even week) to eliminate the profiteering (insert not so nice language here) looking to bend everybody else over.

Sorry. End of Rant :)
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Re: You're peeing Walmart off.

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I don't shop Walmart. Never have! It is the free enterprise system at the gun show. If you don't like the price don't buy it!
I do feel your pain about the folks attempting to flay you alive! :shock:
My .22 LR bricks are marked $7.99. I bought a brick each time I visited my local store and it was on sale. Now, I could care less where its priced because I will not need any for the forseeable future.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah, or if they get say 84 boxes in per week, just sell ONE box every two hours, to whoever is there at that time, instead of all at once so the retirees and their wives/buddies snatch it all up for resale...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

I have pretty much given up on 22LR for the forseeable future as bad as that sounds. Might use it for hunting small game but definitely won't be "plinking/target practicing" with it. As for buying ammo at Walmart, I buy 40S&W when I want/need it as well as 270 Winchester as they still seem to have the best deal for pricing unless you are buying 1000 rounds at a time on line. Funny thing . . . I couldn't find ANY 308 when I made my last trip to my local Bass Pro Shop and Walmart usually doesn't have it either. Thankful I have/hunt with a 270 mostly.

RustyJr.
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I got my 1st 22lr in nearly 40 years when my Dad passed almost 5 years ago. And I've shot as my 22lr in the time since, as I did before. Zip, nada, none... still have most of the brick & ½ he had left... a few rounds to function test... and that's it. But, if I happen to be in Wal-Mart when they put some 22lr out... I might buy some... just cause! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

.22s can be handy little things to have. But I got bored with them many summers ago.

Without ear muffs:
Pull trigger - pop - dink.

With ear muffs:
Pull trigger - did it go off? - dtth

I like to hear and feel my guns go off. But I will never get rid of my .22s and ammo. Some day they just might come in handy. :)

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Panzercat wrote: .... he starts complaining about how they had some that morning, but people were literally fighting over the inventory. In fact, not just people, but the same people, over and over again every single morning driven by some halfwit app that may or may not be accurate, then trying to get the staff in trouble when they don't have availability for any number of mundane reasons I can attest to having worked in retail. He says they're threatening to refuse these people sale because that's the only reason they're even in the store, not to buy other product.

And I gotta say, it's beginning to pee me off too. Everybody is short for no better reason than late to the game panic preppers or- my personal belief -these morons choking stock so they can resell it in gunshows and up in Prescott for $65/box at 300% profit. I'm thinking it's time to turn off the .22 spigot at walmart for a month or so. Let stock build up in the back room until enough can be deployed at once and keep a strict one box per day limit (hell, maybe even week) to eliminate the profiteering (insert not so nice language here) looking to bend everybody else over.
I agree with you (I have several bricks of 22, as I have purchased here and there when it was on sale, but I hate the thought of not being able to re-supply...) The same flea market, Facebook, and pawns shop morons hang out at WM every morning waiting on the ammo to come in and buy it all. I hope they all choke on it. You can say it's the market (and it is) but the ones doing is are still anal orifices and I can hate them if I want. Sad that its cheaper to shoot centerfire nowadays. On the bright side, it has caused me to dig my Model 53 out of the safe and buy a .32 WCF revolver
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

The bright side is a .38 special project I had put on hold for 15 years is now being worked.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Reloading .22 hornet and saving the .22 lr.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Harry turned me on to a load for my .223 that is close to .22 mag.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Mescalaro:
Harry turned me on to a load for my .223 that is close to .22 mag.
Sounds interesting. Care to elaborate???
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

According to Harry,............. 9 grs. of unique and I believe bulk pack .224 bullets
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Mescalero what velocity might you be getting with that load?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Harry says a little bit faster than .22 Mag.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Mescalero: Thanks
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry