Feral swine to be tested for PEDV

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

A new blood test to detect a virus that's killing piglets by the millions may help scientists determine if wild, feral, swine have a part in spreading the disease.

PEDV, a disease from China, was first found in the United States last spring and by summer had been detected in Michigan, authorities said. As of last week, 93 farms across the state have diagnosed cases of the disease, which is generally fatal when it strikes piglets.

Wildlife biologists don't know if the disease has hit wild swine.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/ind ... for_p.html

-----------------------------------------------

Somewhat disturbing, a new disease "from China" that domestic herds have no natural immunity against.

The article says it doesn't affect the meat and isn't dangerous to humans, but there are many studys that demonstrate that humans can get mutated diseases from swine.

Something to file for future reference.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Feral swine to be tested for PEDV

Post by Mescalero »

Thanks
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

FWiedner wrote:
Somewhat disturbing, a new disease "from China" that domestic herds have no natural immunity against.

The article says it doesn't affect the meat and isn't dangerous to humans, but there are many studys that demonstrate that humans can get mutated diseases from swine.

Something to file for future reference. :|
"They have no idea how it is spread" or the vector, sounds like a BIO Weapon. Maybe this or the Ebola outbreak will be the “Omega strain”.
It is not the critic who counts
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Any coincidence that Smithfield Farms have been bought by the Chicom's?
No more bacon, bacon, bacon :shock:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

Lots of feral hogs in about a dozen states. Most have no hunting season, just shoot on sight. They have about 4 litters per year, and mature to breeding age in a year I think. So I wonder if they will get this disease and what threat to humans is it?
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I've been following this a bit. It appears serious indeed. Current thought is that it is spread by manure. Does not cross over to humans. Reported in Canada as well. Likes cool wet environments. Best article I've found.

http://www.amny.com/news/pedv-has-kille ... -1.7846534

Millions of piglets lost and a significant drop in wieners reported. Some farmers are restricting access to clean farms, truckers are starting to be required to disinfect trucks in some regions.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

PEDv must be a cousin CSFv / hog cholera which was cleaned up in the late 70's. Its got to be more than just manure it must be on the wind to. It will be hard to feed the US and the world if the critters are gone. danny
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

It makes me sick to think of all the diseases, pathogens, and pests we have imported from Asia and similar countries! For one thing, if we would learn to leave well enough alone, we would still have chestnuts, hemlocks, and Fraser firs in our forests, but we would NOT have these hideous Asian stinkbugs.

We need to learn to stop dragging this stuff in from other countries!
Running the ridges and rivers of Virginia's southern Appalachians
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

They should start this in DC.