Question on Marlin 1893

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OLBIKER
Levergunner 1.0

Question on Marlin 1893

Post by OLBIKER »

I am looking at a Marlin 93 in 38-55.The barrel is not marked Special Smokeless Steel on it.Does this mean blackpowder only must be used in it???Thanks ahead,OB
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Question on Marlin 1893

Post by OldWin »

While not an expert, I can tell you what I do. I have many rifles with black powder barrels and I shoot smokeless powder in them exclusively. However, I don't hot rod anything and start light with any rifle that is new to me. And only after having checked it over first for condition and headspace.

The most important thing for me is to shoot cast bullets in any barrel that isn't smokeless proofed and is going to be shot any amount. The steel is softer and more prone to wear with large amounts of jacketed bullets. Groove diameters and throats tend to vary in this cartridge so slug your barrel and size your bullets accordingly. Use caution with old loading manuals as they can be VERY optimistic with their expectations. Factory velocities usually run around 1350fps with a 255gr. slug and this is a very safe level for the 93 Marlin.

The 1893 Marlin and 1894 Winchester are both good actions and plenty strong enough for this cartridge. The 38-55 is one of my favorites and doesn't need to be pushed hard to perform well. The 38-55 was originally a Ballard target round from 1884. It was a popular Schutzen cartridge also. It is capable of great accuracy but sometimes has to be experimented with and can be a little fussy in my experience.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
OLBIKER
Levergunner 1.0

Post by OLBIKER »

Thanks for the input.OB
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

What is the serial number?
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I have taken Old Win. under my wing and he gave you a 100% perfect answer :D (good job Jay, a single action Colt is coming your way). :D

If it means anything coming from me, a peon white guy, the Marlin you are looking at should be marked "Especially for Smokeless Steel" or in the case of the Model B 1893, "For Black Powder".

Standard 1893's had color case hardened receivers and the blackpowder jobs were blued.

I've owned a few of both and like Old Win. says, just don't hot rod them. It's perfectly safe to push a 255 grain lead bullet from your black powder 1893 38-55 to 1500 fps. Remember, it's not an old weak action Ballard with iron for a receiver.........the 1893 is still a strong gun. ------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

OLBIKER
Levergunner 1.0

Post by OLBIKER »

airedaleman wrote:What is the serial number?
I dont know,I have not held it in my hands yet.OB
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Oh yeah Six! I forgot about the case color and blued thing. That's why you da man. :D

And thanks for the Colt. Don't send your favorite, just pick out something nice. :D :roll:
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

I shoot smokeless in all my old guns. Haves for decades.
You just have to use powders/loading techniques that can keep the pressure down to level for whatever firearm/cartridge your using. Some smokeless loads pressure can actually be gentler on old guns then black powder.
Trail Boss is not a given that it will be safe loading, some TB loads get well into high PSI for older BP guns.
Lots of older smokeless powders can work, 2400, SR4759, etc.... Some need filler like PFF ,some loadings don't.
Load for accuracy , not velocity.
jorgy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jorgy »

I have a 1893 Marlin in 38-55 that has a barrel is not marked special smokeless steel. The bore is perfect. I shot countless rounds thru it with no
noticeable wear on the rifling all smokeless loads. Marlin did make make a grade "B" barrel with softer steel that was marked black powder only.
But even those smokeless powder could be used. The barrel would wear faster.