Anyone bought IMR 4198 recently?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Anyone bought IMR 4198 recently?

Post by Canuck Bob »

Just wondering if anyone has bought this lately? If so what does it say for country of production?

It seems that there is some confusion on this. It should be Australia but wondering if it current stuff still says Canada?
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: Anyone bought IMR 4198 recently?

Post by Shasta »

I purchased two pounds here in Northern California last month. The label says "Made in Australia".

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Managed to get my hands on a pound Sunday, says manufactured in Australia. :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Thanks it seems for a brief time it was shipped from Australia then back to Canada sources and now back to Australia. The reason I'm asking is because the australian powder is temp insensitive and that is my choice. I have found a source for this powder and want to buy at least a keg. A keg of SR4759, H4895, IMR4198 might finally be in my immediate future!!!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had three pounds and sold two of them to friends .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

6pt-sika wrote:I had three pounds and sold two of them to friends .
Were you disappointed in the product or helping out buddies?
Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman »

Canuck Bob wrote:The reason I'm asking is because the australian powder is temp insensitive and that is my choice.
I had developed a load during the summer in my AK using IMR 4198, come winter the precision was atrocious! So I had to redevelop a load for use in winter.
Dusty Ed
Levergunner

Post by Dusty Ed »

Howdy Pards
I was just reading in the Single Shot Exchange, Lee Shavers called Hodgen
They at Hodgen said that they are stopping production of some IMR Powders early this year and last shipment will be in the middle of the year 2014.
I know 4759 was one of them ,because I use it in my leverguns.

Dusty Ed
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

I finally found some IMR SR 4759 and bought it. $ 27.50 per pound. I called Hodgdon and left messages. Chris Hodgdon called back and left me messages. I told him US shooters need that powder and it is a dis-service to quit supplying it.

SR 4759 comes from General Dynamics in Canada.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Canuck Bob wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:I had three pounds and sold two of them to friends .
Were you disappointed in the product or helping out buddies?
I don't use it that much .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Centennial wrote:I finally found some IMR SR 4759 and bought it. $ 27.50 per pound. I called Hodgdon and left messages. Chris Hodgdon called back and left me messages. I told him US shooters need that powder and it is a dis-service to quit supplying it.

SR 4759 comes from General Dynamics in Canada.
I can live without 4759 and most likely 4756 . But them stopping 7625 puts a cramp in my style ! All three SR powders are to be gone as well as PB .
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I got a pound of it and a pound of RL7 at Marsh lumber in clarksburg the other day. They had a lot of powders
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

Does anyone know the reason they are being discontinued?
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Centennial et al: I think the biggest problem with SR4759 and other soon to be discontinued powders is lack of sales.

Specifically speaking about SR4759, when I lived in California, I dealt with the same dealer for 25+ years. I bought all of my powder from him and he special ordered SR4759 for me as no one else reloaded with it. I was a gun show regular and only once or twice did I see SR4759. Same with fellow cast bullet shooters: of the 10-12 that I shot with, none loaded with SR4759. For awhile, I shot Black Powder Duplex with SR4759, but most of the other "Duplexers" loaded with RL7 or some other powder.

I relocated to WA in 2001 and observed the same here. The local shop will occasionally have SR4759, but not much of it.

I will hate to SR4759 go as I have developed some accurate Trapdoor level SR4759 .45-70 loads for several rifles. Have about 5 pounds left and went that is exhausted, I fear it will only be another memory.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

That stuff is accurate. SR 4759 works real good in handgun cartridges up to 45-70, and beyond. It's one of the few that I've seen deliver accuracy from both revolver and rifle, and in a rifle a respectable gain in velocity, in the 400 FPS range. I'll always contend something that versatile shouldn't be discontinued. Those little donuts are hard to go through a powder measure.
It's one of the original "Bulk Smokeless" powders and will shoot circles around TrailBoss. I don't like TB.
Nothing else I know of comes close to it's performance and keeps the pressure down. Maybe Hercules/Alliant 2400 but I use a PFF and keep the pressure down and it is near MOA 45-70.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Centennial wrote:That stuff is accurate. SR 4759 works real good in handgun cartridges up to 45-70, and beyond. It's one of the few that I've seen deliver accuracy from both revolver and rifle, and in a rifle a respectable gain in velocity, in the 400 FPS range. I'll always contend something that versatile shouldn't be discontinued. Those little donuts are hard to go through a powder measure.
It's one of the original "Bulk Smokeless" powders and will shoot circles around TrailBoss. I don't like TB.
Nothing else I know of comes close to it's performance and keeps the pressure down. Maybe Hercules/Alliant 2400 but I use a PFF and keep the pressure down and it is near MOA 45-70.
I used 4759 initially when loading cast in the 45-70 , 38-55 and 30-30 .

But later I changed over to XMP5744 .

I realize some folks prefer 4759 for variouse reasons and there's nothing wrong with that . But I found XMP5744 to work a bit better for me and it didn't seem to be as position sensitive or atleast I thought so .

Now with that being said I have 4759 and 5744 on my shelf at the moment :lol:

But to be totally honest I have very little need for either powder any longer since I went to H322 , RL-7 , IMR8208 and XMR2015 for the cast loads in my 444's !

I may if I ever get off my backside and participate in a CBA match use some 5744 loads in the match for more target friendly less recoil loads. But for my normal/hunting loads the other powders will keep me up and going .

As to Trailboss my first try with that stuff was in a circa 1896 Marlin 1895 in 40-82 . It filled the case well enough but I didn't get the best in accuracy . Now that could have been blamed on the bullet as I used a Lyman plain base bullet . But later I used Trailboss in several 308 bolt actions shooting sub sonic and as far as I'm concerned I found the nitch for Trailboss . I think I have approx 10 pounds of the stuff now for my friends 308's !
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

In y case I thought things were reversing and bam another shooting or news release from Bloomberg and gone. I finally pulled the trigger and ordered 8#s of H4895 and 8#s of IMR4198 and a few thousand primers. My idea was to stockpile enough powder for a longer drought. When rich and famous I might add a 8# keg of H322. This leaves me a couple pounds of Lil Gun, IMR4227, Trailboss and a few more of SR4759. Buying kegs helped offset the shipping and haz-mat fees.

I've decided no more guns for awhile. Instead making sure there is enough components to use the ones I have for a few years.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Canuck Bob wrote: When rich and famous I might add a 8# keg of H322.
I ain't rich and I ain't famouse !

I do however make sure I ALWAYS have atleast 8 pounds of H322 , atleast 8 pounds of IMR4350 and atleast 8 pounds of IMR8208 !

As well as atleast one five pounder of RL-7 and RL-22 .

As of now I have about 12 pounds of SR7625 and when I make a trip next month hopefully I can score another 8 pounder of 7625 !

I'd like to get an 8 of IMR4831 and perhaps a 5 of RL-17 but as I said before I ain't rich :lol:

I also try and keep close to 10,000 CCI200 primers at all times and close to 5,000 Federal 215 primers .

I'm fortunate in that a good many folks have been deciding to get out of reloading and they come to me to get rid of powder primers etc . Now let me say up front I don't buy powder from folks I don't know or have a good friend that knows them . Primers I'm not as hard about and of course projectiles are okay .

So over the last two years I've picked up ALOT of odds and ends for virtually nothing . Matter of fact a very good friend gave me an UNOPENED 8 pounder of IMR4064 two years ago . That one will keep me in 4064 for a number of years as I already had 4 or 5 pounds on hand !
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Found a supply of long-awaited H-4198 at my LGS today.. Have been checking almost daily for some time.. @ $28.99/lb., it wasn't cheap, but it is available.. i need it for my .45 Colt loads..

Having difficulty finding CCI LPM primers.. None available anywhere in town, and I'm down to my last couple thousand.. Also need Oregon Trail 250 grain .454" diameter bullets.. Usual supplier has been out of them since last summer...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I picked up a pound of H4198 last week. It is made in Australia. I am playing with it in the .45 Colt and in the .480 Ruger. It, and the almost unobtanium IMR 4227 work great in these for mid-power loads. The accuracy is great in my guns. If I want to get a little wild, I just use H110/WW296. The gun store I got mine at was at Alpine Gun Range in Ft. Worth, TX, and it is so close to Mansfield, TX, that it is hard to tell where Mansfield stops and Ft. Worth begins. I was working in Mansfield and decided to try my luck.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost