Moving to Hawaii

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Moving to Hawaii

Post by Rusty »

My cousin is actually. He is going to Lihue, Kauai. He'll be working at the airport there. Anybody know anything about it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Moving to Hawaii

Post by Centennial »

Not a firearms or 2nd Amendment friendly state.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

From what have been told, it is expensive to live there, no matter which island you reside on.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Some of the prettiest land, and temperate weather on God's Earth.....I lived on Oahu for a couple years (Schofield Barracks) and it gets confining after you've seen it all a couple times. Never got tired of the snorkeling, though.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:Some of the prettiest land, and temperate weather on God's Earth.....I lived on Oahu for a couple years (Schofield Barracks) and it gets confining after you've seen it all a couple times. Never got tired of the snorkeling, though.
Schofield Barracks...! Cool; did you all get issued S&W Schofields...??? :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

My company has openings every year there. It sounds like paradise gets old after awhile , people last about 2-3 years before leaving.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have been through that airport and the area was nice enough. All the people we met were nice (people usually are). Frankly, I would not choose to live there. There is not enough of what I want to do, as in nearly zero.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

A fellow levergunner, Ji, lives in Hawaii - you might mant to send him a PM.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Some of the prettiest land, and temperate weather on God's Earth.....I lived on Oahu for a couple years (Schofield Barracks) and it gets confining after you've seen it all a couple times. Never got tired of the snorkeling, though.
Schofield Barracks...! Cool; did you all get issued S&W Schofields...??? :mrgreen:
No, but, if you crawl around in the attic of the old Quads, you can see the damage Japanese strafing did in WWII. Saw those looking for lizards for the rooms to eat the 3" cockroaches :shock: .
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I was hoping Ji might chime in.

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

My SIL's family moved there last year.
They each bought nice Condo's on the big island.
They do love it there.

If you get a chance get a hold of the episode of "a family from Oregon wants to move to Hawaii" from TV show Hawaii Life. Original air date 1/01/14

OMG----Big Island.at Leilani Estates
Check the one they picked. Unreal

Actually any of the three very reasonable.
No condo but awesome homes on Big lot (taking measured in acres)
Around $200k

From what they tell us, it in the end is not really any more costly.
Course they are heath nuts and eat mainly local stuff,they basically walk,ride bike or their Can-am three wheeler thing. They use extremely little gas etc.
Last edited by madman4570 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

BlaineG wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:
No, but, if you crawl around in the attic of the old Quads, you can see the damage Japanese strafing did in WWII. Saw those looking for lizards for the rooms to eat the 3" cockroaches :shock: .
Now that's cool!

I remember someone telling me the other good method of roach control was a few chickens. But then there's another mess to clean up, and it kind of takes the pleasure out of fried eggs for breakfast :mrgreen:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I used to think the idea of moving somewhere else and staying there year round would be great .

I have since changed my tune !

For me the perfect situation would be a house right here in central Virginia for part of the year and a house in the Philippines for part of the year .

The Philippines would be great for Mid January to about mid May and then Virginia for the rest of the year . Note how I wanna be in the USA for hunting season and Damage Control time !

Now just so I can sound spoiled about a 100 acre piece of property in southern Dorchester County Maryland with a livable house for Sika hunting and I think I couldn't ask for much more .

With that said based on what I've heard about costs in Hawaii I suspect I could add the house in the Philippines and a piece of property on the eastern shore as well as keep this house for what it would cost to have a decent house in Hawaii and make the move !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

92&94 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:
Now that's cool!

I remember someone telling me the other good method of roach control was a few chickens. But then there's another mess to clean up, and it kind of takes the pleasure out of fried eggs for breakfast :mrgreen:

Actually the bugs give the eggs a better flavor. I used to buy crickets at the bait shop to feed to mine as well. It was entertaining to toss the crickets into the pen and watch the girls go for them.

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

As they say location,location,location

How bout 21 acres with OMG ocean view on property.
Appears adjoining attached parcel combined with other with home equals 21 acres?
Always can do whatever with house.
Living at that place need just a hammock looking over your ponderosa. a atv, a on/off road legal dirt bike,your dog,your guns,and a good women, that last one being only sometimes. :wink: Oh, and beer.
Tell em $175K
Click on pics

http://www.hawaiilife.com/mls/big+island/268629?page=9

yep, Rusty's gun range with an ocean view, :mrgreen:

or
For the little women
http://www.hawaiilife.com/mls/big+islan ... 212?page=4

others
http://www.hawaiilife.com/mls/big+island/-p200/268271

http://www.hawaiilife.com/mls/big+islan ... 943?page=2

http://www.hawaiilife.com/mls/big+islan ... 527?page=3
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I like to visit Hawaii, but it seems very small after a while; being raised in Texas has me accustomed to wide open spaces.
Kauai is a beautiful island and I have a time share there, but after a few years we have seen everything and go there mostly to relax, not actually DO anything.
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/l ... tt-resort/
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Rusty wrote:
92&94 wrote: Now that's cool!

Actually the bugs give the eggs a better flavor. I used to buy crickets at the bait shop to feed to mine as well. It was entertaining to toss the crickets into the pen and watch the girls go for them.
Ours eat a lot of bugs too.... I've just noticed that people are especially squeamish about roaches :mrgreen:
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Had the same inclination years ago. Fortunately my job gave me an opportunity to evaluate the pros and cons over an extended period of time. Even though it was never more than one month at a time.

On Oahu is where most of my business took place and at first, the idyllic island weather and scenery encapsulated my imagination. But, over time, believe that every square inch of the island had been personally discovered by me and the uniqueness wore off. Still liked it, much better than Compton, but not much bigger.

Also had the opportunity to explore each and every island, and from my experience, the one that captivated me the most was Kauai followed by Maui.

Eventually they all seemed to get small though. Especially when stuck for a month at a time, by the end of the second week there was nothing left to do. If I would live in Hawaii, I would need a large enough sail boat to move from island to island without impunity and plan a couple of extended hunting trips back on the mainland per year.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

There are two price tiers in Hawai`i.
The posted, or tourist rate.
The resident, or "kama`aina" rate. A substantial discount on almost everything.

Once your cousin can show people he resides there, he can ask for the kama`aina rate.
I think the biggest pain is buying a new vehicle. All the dealers are on Oahu, where the ships unload. So you buy a car on Oahu and then have to pay to ship it to the island on which you reside.

Loved Kauai, but it is small. I would get claustrophobic, even on the Big Island.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Lovely place to pass thru, especially with friends or family that live there... Except for the weather, fishing, waves, beaches, & did I mention weather(?)... But, yeah, would need a boat...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

To many Canadians for me 8) ! To small for me but the weather!!!!!!! Also my wife loves to grow things. Are there any gun ranges?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

As noted, Ji is our Levergun adjunct on the islands. Born and raised there.

I've been there and it is stunningly beautiful. People even more so.

Problems are three-fold:

A liberal state, anti-gun, and high taxes.

High cost of everything. Think about it; almost everything has to be brought in.

If you want to see family or friends, it is expensive for them to visit you, or you to visit them.

I read somewhere that if the world collapsed, Oahu would not be a good place to be. Over a million residents on an island that can only support them because of the materials brought in. Stop the replenishment, and it would get ugly, really fast.

Still, one of the most beautiful places on earth.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Hawaii is a great place to visit but wouldn't want to live there. If the S*H*T*F, no where to go.
Last edited by GonnePhishin on Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I had a friend that lived their, if I recall correctly, about the only gun legal for ownership is a shotgun.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

horsesoldier03 wrote:I had a friend that lived their, if I recall correctly, about the only gun legal for ownership is a shotgun.
Afraid not true, I know a fellow there who shoots a Win71 and a Springfield M1a on a regular basis, lives on the big island.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Well we got more information from cuz. He got an apartment on the beach and bought a used car. He starts his first day at work on Monday.

jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Perfect situation. He lives there, you get to visit for a week or two and come home!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"