Any experience with Mueller or Vortex scopes? Vids added

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Any experience with Mueller or Vortex scopes? Vids added

Post by mod71alaska »

I'd appreciate hearing your experiences and opinions of Mueller or Vortex high power rifle scopes. PM me if you prefer.

What I'm looking for is a good quality i.e. clear optics, bright light, and capable of repeatable settings, in a variable high power, 30mm tube scope for long distance target shooting. It also has to be reasonable priced so I can stay married! :lol:

Right now I'm looking seriously at the Mueller 8.5-32x44, which is made in China with Japanese glass, and the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44/50 PA. There is a considerable difference in price but both are under $500. The question is: Is there that much difference in quality? Are they both "good" quality given the criteria above?

http://muelleroptics.com/mueller-8-32x4 ... s-tactical
http://muelleroptics.com/mu83244td

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-rifl ... -06fp.html
http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-rifl ... -05fp.html

I'm out of my depth here with no experience at all with these LD target scopes. At various times this new target scope will be mounted on .22 caliber and .308 heavy barrel rifles.

Thanks for your help Levergunners!

Mod71

3/24 EDIT: 2 Videos added:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ApuCoac2_VM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xx_3kHjywuc
Last edited by mod71alaska on Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Anyone have experience with Mueller or Vortex rifle scop

Post by Centennial »

I looked into it awhile back and Vortex is still a China made scope, although it is supposed to be QC/step up above others made there.
I've been asking myself these questions. I'd like to see them torn down and what makes them tick.
What exactly makes a better scope on the inside.
Lens coatings have come along way, and it seems modern production methods make it's application easy, especially in China. As I recall even Leopold has a China made scope a few years ago.
Is it worth the price mark up about 4x the price over the China made Center Point scopes that are at Walmart?

I bought a $69 Center Point 4- 16 with target turrets a few years ago to see if I could wreck it. Carried for days trotting in a saddle scabbard, in a truck on the seat or rack. Mounted it on a heavy barreled handy rifle. Accept for my fault with the target knobs loosening, it always held zero, the illuminated reticals worked. I finally sold the whole thing because it was to big and heavy for what I need.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have the 6-24x50 Vortex PST EBR (MRAD)... I LIKE it. It was clearer and brighter than either the Nikon or Leupold comparable scopes... I didn't even look at the Swarovski. The only scope I liked better was the SWFA house brand... But, it also was more money.

Mine has been to the range on several occasions, in and out of the bag... and so far (less than a year old)... still seems solid. I don't baby stuff... it gets tossed in the truck... and sometimes will have other guns on top or crammed in beside it. (If my son goes with me... we really have to work not to take 20+ guns each range trip...)!

@ 24 power, the brightness is cut down quite a bit... but... I don't expect to be hunting in low light at that magnification... and certainly won't be target shooting then! For the money... I REALLY like it. I haven't set it to a "set zero" as I use different ammo for different purposes... If it were a dedicated prairie dog gun... then I probably would, as I'd likely stick to one load. So, that's a feature that I don't need... but, if the purpose I put it to changes... I'll probably use it!

Even the folks at SWFA (where I bought it, feel it's the best scope for the money on the market)... If I were to buy another today... I might go for the Viper HS-T series instead. And, for my 7mmMag Rem 700, I probably will, stickin' to the 4-16x50.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Centenial,
You are right, it's all about the internals.
The simpler and stouter the internals, the better off you are.
boolitshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by boolitshooter »

I have a Vortex 6X24, 30mm tube X50mm mounted on my AR bench gun. Purchased 2 years ago from Optics Planet with a lifetime warranty. Very good optics, repeatable settings, appears to be a quality scope IMHO.
When these were on sale "Snipers Hide" had many reviews on them. I recall that many had them on 308's.
Plus the price kept my wife happy. She did not know what the $ amount for the scope mount was.
Overall I am very pleased.
Last edited by boolitshooter on Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I have several Mueller optics scopes(on a 45-70,444,35 remington and 30-06 bolt gun) and two Vortex scopes. I have just replaced the Mueller on the 30-06 with a vortex 6.5-20x50. The Mueller is a decent scope for the money but I like the vortex better on my bolt guns By the same token I am still very happy with the Mueller multi shot scopes on the big bore lever guns. I did shoot the cross hair loose in one of the multi shot scopes, after about 1000 rounds of full house 45-70 reloads, called Mueller explained it to them and returned the scope with a check(honestly I don't remember how much but it was around $15) and in three days a new one arrived at the house no questions asked, gotta like that. I have had a Vortex 6.5-20x44 on my tactical 308 for 3 or 4 years could not be happier(unless somebody gave me a swarovski), good scope good price. Try optics planet for a good price. I like the reticle on the vortex better than the duplex post on the Mueller for longer range shooting if that is going to be an issue. Just my opinion. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Re: Any experience with Mueller or Vortex scopes? Vids adde

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Never used a Mueller, so I cannot comment on them. Vortex are good, but their prices have increased a bit, so they are not the incredible deal they used to be, but still a good deal for good optics.

In answer to other questions in this thread:
There are a variety of things that combined to make quality optics. These things are required to make quality optics anywhere. In a number of countries there are optics ranging from junk to high quality. People should not assume that because one optic made in China is a a good quality optic, that another that costs half as much is just as good.
I have seen $150 Chinese optics disassemble themselves in various ways. I have seen cheap optics with very nice glass and poor construction. I have seen cheap optics with poor glass and very stout construction. I have never seen a really cheap optic with really good glass, really good construction, and really good operation.

Optics are one place where there is no way to cheat - quality costs, no matter where it is made. It may cost less from some sources than others, but it still costs. There is a cost to any cheap optic.
kragluver
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kragluver »

I have a Vortex Crossfire II on my AR. I have been very pleased with this scope for the money. My dad shoots a Vortex scope on his .270. He has had his for 2 years and is very happy with it. I've not used the scope on a range over 300 yards but at that distance, it works just fine. It appears to be a US design manufactured in China.

I have no experience with the Mueller.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I have a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 PA with a v-plex wide reticle. I haven't mounted it yet but it is used and belonged to my good friend By Smalley who was an avid target shooter at extreme long range as well as a varmint hunting enthusiast. He passed away last year. He seemed to think it was one of his best scopes (which is why I purchased it from his family as he would know and he would have liked me to have it.) It seems to be of very high quality when I examine it.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I don't have any experience with Mueller, but do have limited experience with Vortex. My buddy has the same scope Griff mentioned above, I think. His is horrible. It is not clear at all, especially at higher power settings. It is consistent enough, and has held zero fine as far as I can tell, but the clarity and quality of the glass is not good.

I think Vortex is about the same as a lot of other Chinese made stuff. You will find that the QC is not consistent. I have heard it is supposed to be better with Vortex, though. My bud probably just got one that slipped by. With the Chinese stuff, you can get a great deal at a great price, as some of the stuff that comes off the line is top notch, or you can get junk. I would say go for it, and take advantage of a place that has a good return policy so you can keep taking it back until you get a good one.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

7/25/14 UPDATE:

Here's a very good sale price on Vortex 6.5-20x44 scopes at MidwayUSA:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/242077 ... Main_Image
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Last fall I bought a couple new rifles for metallic silhouette competition. High Power Rifle Silhouette is shot offhand at 200, 300, 385, and 500 meters. For this I got a Savage Predator left hand bolt action in 6.5 Creedmoor and mounted a 4-16x44 Vortex Viper HS. It is a clear scope and the elevation adjustments repeat accurately. I like it with the exception that the adjustment knobs are both covered, so I have to remove and keep track of the elevation knob cover during a match. I should have gotten the Long Range version that has external elevation adjustment.

For NRA Smallbore Silhouette, I bought a left hand CZ LUX .22 LR and set it up with a 4.5-14x40AO Mueller APT Tactical. This scope cost me only $150 but has proven to be a good buy and a good match for my .22. It is reasonably clear and has external adjustments that repeat reliably.

Neither of these scopes match the clarity of the 4.5-14x40 Leupold Long Range scope that I have on my Browning .270 A-Bolt, but a lack of funds kept me away from the expensive Leupolds for my two new rifles.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

We live in good times as far as optics are concerned. A $300 scope today, is probably a match for a $500 from the 70s (in 1970's currency) IMO.

Where some of the cheaper scopes fall down a little is changing zero over the magnification range (who cares; zero at highest power, and the close shots won't make a difference) and repeatability/accuracy of adjustments. Again not a real big deal for most of us, unless you are continually jacking around with them to compensate.

Have not had a Mueller, but they are supposed to be decent. Have a pair of Vortex Diamondback binos and a 2-7x riflescope. Good looking optics for the price, and they have a killer warranty. I have heard its a "no fault" warranty and a few guys that needed it got very fast and easy service.
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I've heard the Vortex Vipers and Diamondbacks are made either in Japan or the Philippines, while low-end Crossfire line is built in China.
I worked for a while at a Sportsmans Warehouse, and sold a lot of scopes --Nikon, Leupold/Redfield, Bushnell, Burris, Vortex, Simmons, BSA, Swarovski, Zeiss and Nightforce. No Muellers.
We had problems with Burris, Simmons and especially BSA, and one of the lower-end Nikons. Zero problems with the others, and we sold a lot of Vortex glass.