Wow!! a .30 cal 170 grain bullet at 2000 fps!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Wow!! a .30 cal 170 grain bullet at 2000 fps!!

Post by Jason_W »

This was Guns 'n' Ammo TV's reaction to a Federal reduced recoil load for the .308 win. They were going on and on about how great the low recoil was. :lol:

Do those ballistics sound familiar to anyone else? :lol:

You just have to love marketing machines.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Jeez :roll: makes you wonder what they think about the ol' 30-30? :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:lol: :lol: About spit my sodypop all over the living room when Boddington , said yeah that loads good for deer out to 200 yds......
:? Heck last time I noted anything in Guns and Ammo the 30-30 wasn't hardly good for nothing past 100 yds..... 8)
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Wow!! a .30 cal 170 grain bullet at 2000 fps!!

Post by Slick13 »

Jason_W wrote:This was Guns 'n' Ammo TV's reaction to a Federal reduced recoil load for the .308 win. They were going on and on about how great the low recoil was. :lol:

You're forgetting, the .30-30 is chambered mostly in light weight lever guns, and the .308 in bolt guns that are usually a pound or more heavier. The reduced recoil .308 is going to be much more comfortable for a new or young shooter to use. As they gain experience or grow older, they can move up to hotter loads if they feel the need to.

With 170 grain factory ammo, my .30-30 Model 94 isn't too far behind my .30-06 1903A3 Springfield in recoil. And with the 20" barrel, is probably just as loud. For these reasons, I consider the .30-30 a poor choice for new or young shooters. No need to give your 12 or 13 year old child, or your wife, a flinch. Perfect levergun caliber for them is the .25-35, and I'm suprised Marlin isn't making some 336s in that caliber.

It is funny though that the .30-30 is run down regularly by gun magazines, but this new load is probably just fine for deer in their opinion. :lol:

~Michael
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I am a 1/2 step ahead of those guys. I invented my own reduced recoil load for my .308. A 170 grain Hornady FP going 2300fps. My longest shot where I hunt is maybe 100 yards. Federal should send 50 cents per box check every month as a finders fee. :lol:
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I have an 11 yr old daughter that expresses intrest in hunting and guns as well. We will frequently go shooting together and up until now she has been restricted to .22s and her .410. However, the last time we went shooting, she tried both the 30-30 and my .308. She loved both of them and chose the .308 primarily I think because it had a scope. Naturally I was hesitant, however, her 5 shot group that she kept in a 3" circle proved to me that with my supervision she was ready to step up. She shot 20 rounds that day, although she did complain a little about her arm being sore the following day. I will definately be looking for that reduced load for her. However, I suspect it will be the same as the 30-30s recoil that she already handles.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Horsesoldier03,

I use 37.5 grains of Varget with the 170 gr Hornady FP for my 308. It is a low middle of the road load for a 165 grain bullet in the Hornady book, and it's accurate.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I saw that episode this week, I was laughing at the TV. For those of you who didn't see it, it was funny because the Federal "rep" was stating that this 170 gr. bullet was specifically designed to perform in reduced .308 Win. loads.

IT WAS A FLATNOSE 170 gr. 30-30 BULLET THAT THEY LOADED INTO A 308 CASE...! He was trying to get the viewer to think that this was something special that they've come up with. What a farce. Boddington should be ashamed of himself.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

If they got excited about that, they'ed have a stroke looking at Weatherby ballistic data. :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

deerwhacker444 wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

I saw that episode this week, I was laughing at the TV. For those of you who didn't see it, it was funny because the Federal "rep" was stating that this 170 gr. bullet was specifically designed to perform in reduced .308 Win. loads.

IT WAS A FLATNOSE 170 gr. 30-30 BULLET THAT THEY LOADED INTO A 308 CASE...! He was trying to get the viewer to think that this was something special that they've come up with. What a farce. Boddington should be ashamed of himself.
Everyone has to pay bills and put food on the table.

Still, I found it amusing.
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

That 170 grain bullet Federal uses looks suspiciously like a Speer 170 Grain FP that I use in my 30/30. 8)
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Waitamminit...

.30/170 at 2000?

And my .357/180 at 1800 is no good for deer? :shock: :roll: :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Old Ironsights wrote:Waitamminit...

.30/170 at 2000?

8) YUp :shock:
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

Just goes to show ya that waaaayyy back then folks knew how to "get 'er done"
and didn't "overdo" stuff either. If it did the job then we will use it and love it.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Jeeps wrote:Just goes to show ya that waaaayyy back then folks knew how to "get 'er done"
and didn't "overdo" stuff either. If it did the job then we will use it and love it.
That's what I like about a lot of these more vintage rounds. They're very frugal in that they don't burn all that much powder.

It would be interesting to see how much powder the new federal loading burns compared to a 30/30 at the same velocity.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

But but but, what happened to "more is better"?
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

When these reduced power loads came out I laughed. Not because I thought they were funny, but because I thought the marketing gimmick was aimed at wimps and pansies.

My wife is 5'5" and her go to rifle is a Win 94 carbine loaded with full pressure ammo. The recoil of the light carbine never bothers her.

My 10 year old step son ( now over 30) was insulted when I told him he should let me make him some lighter loads for the 30-30 and 303 British. He would have none of it. He too shot full power loads from these guns.

These low recoil rounds are a solution searching for a problem.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Old Ironsights wrote:Waitamminit...

.30/170 at 2000?

OI, everybody knows such a load would just bounce off a deer!
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I saw the message header and asked myself what all of the fuss
was about. "That sounds like a 30-30 load...."

Too funny! :lol:

-Stretch
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

I made up loads like that for a buddy who got tired of his .30-06 Rem Pump beating him up 30 years ago.

I guess it could have taken them 40 years to catch up.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

I could get real sarcastic 'bout now...

LeverBob :roll: :roll: :roll:
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

leverbob I dont have your sensibilities. :lol: :lol: :lol:

old iron sights, you should be aware that you are discussing pistol ammo and they are discussing rifle ammo. There is no comparison and you should stick to squirrels and other rodents and stop harrassing game animals with a gun that has no place in the hunting fields.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

gundownunder wrote:leverbob I dont have your sensibilities. :lol: :lol: :lol:

old iron sights, you should be aware that you are discussing pistol ammo and they are discussing rifle ammo. There is no comparison and you should stick to squirrels and other rodents and stop harrassing game animals with a gun that has no place in the hunting fields.
OK, now you did it. That should start something. I think I'll sit back and watch.

J :D e
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Hey. I just came up with a great low-recoil idea for the 35 Whelen.

A 200 gr. .358 bullet traveling at 2100 fps!

Oh...that's right. That would only be a 35 Rem. Oh well. Back to the drawing board... "How can I make a 35 Whelen hurt less without calling it a 35 Rem?"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

bogie
clubkey
Levergunner 1.0

Post by clubkey »

Who wants popcorn? :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Doesn't everybody know that before they invented short-mag calibers, those weak 30-30, 35 Remington, or 45-70 bullets just harmlessly bounced off deer? Makes you wonder how anybody managed to get any kind of wild game back in the day! So says my gunsmith every time somebody brings him a short-mag rifle to fix. :lol:

And what about gunwriters who say that the 357 and 44 mag rifles are not powerful enough for whitetails, but then turn right around and write articles advocating carrying 44 mag revolvers into "bear country" for "self-defense"?

I have pretty much stopped reading gun magazines. Many of the posts such as found on this website and a few others make far more sense.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Now boys, you know that once you have shortened, fattened, lightened, lengthened, increased, decreased, enlarged, sped up, slowed down, shrunk, spindled, folded and mulitiated every cartridge you can, the business is just gonna dry up.

Please let them have their fun. :D

While I won't be around to see it, I bet 100 years from now the old .30-30 will still be selling, as will be the '06, 35 Rem, 45-70 and a host of other dead and useless cartridges. And they will still work.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

JimT wrote:
While I won't be around to see it, I bet 100 years from now the old .30-30 will still be selling, as will be the '06, 35 Rem, 45-70 and a host of other dead and useless cartridges. And they will still work.
And work quite WELL I am sure!
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I bet 100 years from now the old .30-30 will still be selling,
I hate to burst that bubble but I'm afraid that in 100 years kids will walk around saying " My grandpa told me that in the old days his grandpa used to be able to own guns" :(
If i'm wrong I bet you will be right.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

clubkey wrote:Who wants popcorn? :lol: :lol: :lol:
ME, ME, ME :D :D WITH APPLE SLICES ON TOP :D

LeverBob
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Re: Wow!! a .30 cal 170 grain bullet at 2000 fps!!

Post by handirifle »

Slick13 wrote:
Jason_W wrote:This was Guns 'n' Ammo TV's reaction to a Federal reduced recoil load for the .308 win. They were going on and on about how great the low recoil was. :lol:

You're forgetting, the .30-30 is chambered mostly in light weight lever guns, and the .308 in bolt guns that are usually a pound or more heavier. The reduced recoil .308 is going to be much more comfortable for a new or young shooter to use. As they gain experience or grow older, they can move up to hotter loads if they feel the need to.

With 170 grain factory ammo, my .30-30 Model 94 isn't too far behind my .30-06 1903A3 Springfield in recoil. And with the 20" barrel, is probably just as loud. For these reasons, I consider the .30-30 a poor choice for new or young shooters. No need to give your 12 or 13 year old child, or your wife, a flinch. Perfect levergun caliber for them is the .25-35, and I'm suprised Marlin isn't making some 336s in that caliber.

It is funny though that the .30-30 is run down regularly by gun magazines, but this new load is probably just fine for deer in their opinion. :lol:

~Michael

Well I disagree with that theory, sorry. The 336 marlin weighs 7lbs, according to the web site, and the Savage wood stocked bolt 30-06 weighs......7 lbs. The synthetic stocked one weighs 6.5 lbs. The Rem 700 weighs in at 7.5 lbs average, and I don't think 8 oz will make that much difference to felt recoil.

Add a scope to the marlin and we're at about 8lbs, more when it's loaded.

Besides, you can easily load the 150gr in 30-30 to reduced velocities and have even less recoil and just as much range.

Reduced recoil stuff is a good idea, IF you already have a bolt gun in those calibers.
pbslinger
Levergunner

Post by pbslinger »

I'm gonna hold out for the field data to come in to see if a 30 cal 170 @ 2000 fps is effective on deer sized game.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Any effective low recoil hunting ammo makes sense to me. Remington's Managed Recoil load for .308 & 30-06 features a pointed 125 grain bullet.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

Hey t.r., that sounds like the 125 Sierra I was loading in my bolt action .30-30 almost 40 years ago. Darn good deer cartridge and bullet.
Pete Moss
Levergunner

Post by Pete Moss »

It's all very good. I hunt with a .375 H&H mag Brno, kicks a bit but I don't have to trail the deer after the shot. Most folks IMHO who fear recoil need to practice a bit more and learn to enjoy their rifles. My Marlin 94 in 357 mag has shown me a more fun side of shooting and I may hunt with a 444 this season. There is such a large "Cool factor" to these beasts that I can't explain.