Another load data site?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Another load data site?

Post by chadbr »

Would anyone here be interested in another load data site?

Most of the sites I've found have been very irritating -- or not free. I'm a programmer by trade - and I'm looking for something "non work" to do for fun.

Would a new load data site be worth anyone's time? Or just more noise on the web?

Any features in particular you’d like to see?

Thanks for the feedback --

Chad
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Sounds great!! Free is good. :D
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

More info is alwas good, and free info is even better. :D
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
clubkey
Levergunner 1.0

Post by clubkey »

I concur, more and free are always a good thing.
"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I doubt anyone would complain! :wink:
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by spurgon »

Always room for improvement. Yours may be the best.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Sounds like a good idea. :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think there are two ways to go about accepting data. One can either register contributors so that you can address safety concerns OR one can make contributions completely anonymous to actively protect contributor identities.

I think that one should in some way be able to vette the loads to prevent obviously unsafe contributions and/or typos. But, that's not always possible and so loads which are not directly comparable to published data should be marked in some way as in highlighting the data line in yellow and having a bright red text caveat. In other words, contributions should be monitored. Primer and case data is just as important, I've noticed not everyone mentions their primer or case. One could prefix the load data for a particular cartridge, all on one page, with a cartridge background/history. IOW, an all in one printout.

The look up should be able to find the akas of various cartridges, e.g. .280 Remington/7mm Express.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Another load data site?

Post by J Miller »

chadbr wrote:Would anyone here be interested in another load data site?

Most of the sites I've found have been very irritating -- or not free. I'm a programmer by trade - and I'm looking for something "non work" to do for fun.

Would a new load data site be worth anyone's time? Or just more noise on the web?

Any features in particular you’d like to see?

Thanks for the feedback --

Chad
Chad,

Yes, I'd appreciate a new load data base. Hobie's suggestion is very valid.
I'm not a computer literate person by any means of the word so let me suggest you go to Handloads.com data base and take a gander on how they have theirs set up. Here's the link: http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/default.asp?
Of the data bases I've used and contributed to, this one is the easiest to use. It's also free, I like free.

The one thing I'd like to see in a new data base is a section or listing for the old black powder rifle and handgun cartridges. There are many here who could contribute data for those old rounds.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

I had a few thoughts that I think would make the data much more useful:
-fully searchable - by cal, powder, brass -- whatever characteristic happens to identify the load.
-community feedback on loads – i.e. click the +1 on a load to give it positive feedback
-Easy to upload batches of data instead of entering it load by load
-Easy to download data in batches
-Easy to add notes to existing loads
-Some more data on firearm used – make, model, barrel length, etc.

Well – any other ideas people would fine useful?

Any particular data that is not commonly listed? (Like Joe’s BP loads?)

This might be a fun little project – thanks for the feedback!

Chad
HORACE
Levergunner

Post by HORACE »

I'd certainly appreciate more data - particularly cast loadings often discussed on this site.
Of course Hobie makes a lot of sense about the safety aspects.
Such a facility would definately get my full support!
Horace
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

How about the ability to offset the trajectory based on height
of the sights above the bore? ie for 22LR std velocity I would
like to get a closer than 1.5 inch above the bore to more closely
match actual conditions.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I like many of the features of 'ammoguide.com' (comparisons, statistics, etc.) better than the 'handloader.com' but it has fewer loads listed overall.

That site may be worth perusing.

For ballistics, Sierra's software I have and really like the external ballistics part, although the 'database' seems sort of user-unfriendly.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I think this is a good idea, especially the larger and more exhaustive it is. I think you could use data published on other sites, including the powder company sites, provided you referenced it. It would sure be useful, instead of having to go to several different sites to research a cartridge. You might even include cartridge data (O.A.L., etc.)
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Dr Dave
Levergunner

Load Data

Post by Dr Dave »

I'm just fine with traditional sources of published load data for swaged lead or jacketed bullets (Speer #14, Alliant, Hodgden, et cetera), but I sure could use a good source for hard cast lead bullets that test in the 16 Brinnel range. In particular, I'm looking for loading data on .358" 158 grain RNFP and .429" 200 grain RNFP bullets, either in Special brass or in Magnum brass.

I have done some experimenting with hard cast lead in my 357 Blackhawk and my 44 Super Blackhawk, but I do not want to fool around with my newly-acquired 1894c and my 1894ss. Ideally, I would like to see a database that will address both the lightest loads and the heaviest loads that can be used in leverguns.

As long as I'm wishing for the moon, has anyone else loaded a 158 grain hard cast SWC over 5 grains of Bullseye in 38 Special brass?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One big gripe I have as a .454 Casull owner is that so many sites list handgun loads but not rifle, or they do not differentiate. Somewhat the same for .32-20, etc.

For 44 and 357 they usually seem now to list both rifle and handgun often, but so many cartridges (not just the 'straight wall' ones) are used in barrels of all lengths from 2.6" to 26" that it makes sense to differentiate somehow.

Personally, I care more about ballistics and trajectory from my rifles; the handguns I'm willing to just 'figure out' and for the most part will use what I use in the rifle unless it is too 'stout' for me to shoot accurately.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

One that wasn't mentioned was "Reloading Pages of M.D. Smith".
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I also like http://www.Reloadersnest.com

http://stevespages.com/page8c.htm will sometimes give me starting loads, although this one is mostly a copy of others pages and information.

I have asked before that we have a members only section on this site in which to post our obsolete data. I know that many of us here have done some pretty extensive testing with cartridges that there is precious little if any published data for. Honestly, had not Snooky published his book years ago before he passed, many of us would be bumping around in the dark looking for starting points. I think it's a shame that should something happen to myself or some of the others on here, that all of our work and expense and time that could be useful to others will be lost and unavailable to other people who will have to fight and take risks to resurrect their grandfathers old rifles. Whether it's on this site, or another is a moot point, but there really needs to be somewhere that obsolete cartridge loading data is available to people.

Ed
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

chadbr,

I agree with Hobie. Again.

I think something missing is the ability to compare loads by caliber/bullet weight ACROSS ALL DATA. So all verified 45/70/405 data, regardless of source, would be available on that bullet's page.

Also, a common misunderstanding exists about 45/70 load levels. It's critical that bullets designed to seat long in single shot rifles not be confused with loads designed to cycle thru repeating actions. The wrong bullet seated too deep is a grenade. Maybe some cognizance of remaining case volume would help sort this out.

The ability to sort the data interactively would be sweet. A pivot-table feature that would allow the user to sort, say, on pressure level, or bullet weights, or powders, would be very useful. The columns could be interactive also so they can be arranged by the user.

Just out of curiosity, what programming language would you choose to tackle this project?
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

Grizz wrote:chadbr,

The ability to sort the data interactively would be sweet. A pivot-table feature that would allow the user to sort, say, on pressure level, or bullet weights, or powders, would be very useful. The columns could be interactive also so they can be arranged by the user.
Yes - that's exatly the kind of functionality I'm looking to put into the site.
Grizz wrote:Just out of curiosity, what programming language would you choose to tackle this project?
I'll probably use Silverlight for the front end, and C# / .Net on the backend.

Thanks for all the feedback guys - adding them all to "the list" --

Regards, Chad