Trijicon vs Leupold

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Trijicon vs Leupold

Post by RustyJr »

I was at the local gun store purchasing a light and mount for my AR15 that I carry on duty and took a glance at some of the scopes that were available. I have always preferred Leupold but also know that the Trjicon is used by our US Military in one form or another. My dad looked at some of the Trijicons and said that they were clearer and brighter than the Leupolds. I noticed that they were also cheaper than the Leupolds of comparable models. My question is are the "sporting"/non-Acog models as durable and dependable as the Leupolds? Any information and experiance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
RustyJr

ETA: I have been considering changing the scope (Leupold VX1 3-9X) on my Remington 700 Varmint Synthetic in 308 to something with a little more magnification and turrets with adjustable turrets.
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Re: Trijicon vs Leupold

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Do you mean the Trijicon Accupoint magnified scopes? They seem to be fine. I know people who hunt with them quite a bit. In the current price range there are other optics I would prefer, but I think they are pretty decent scopes.

What price range are you trying to hit? Which Leupolds are you comparing them to?
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

The Accupoint are made to the same ruggedness as the mil spec. I've had one since '07. It's gotten me a couple of deer that I could not have gotten without the illuminated reticle.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I don't know what exact scope you're looking at.

I jut put a Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x20 Firedot scope on my AR and love it. And it was less than half of what a similar Trijicon Model cost.
I came real close to buying an ACOG, but couldn't decide what power or reticle I wanted. The Firedot works just fine and gives me the option of zooming in if I need to.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I bought an Accupoint Safari 1.75-6x almost 9 years ago for $399, and just love it. (I caught a 1/2-price sale @ http://www.swfa.com )

Mine has the amber-colored delta aim point; and I especially like that it can be changed from a black reticle to an IR in seconds - and uses no batteries for the IR feature.

I've moved it around on several different rifles, from a 6.5x55 M-70FW to a .338 WM M70 w/FW stock - w/o issue one.

The scope has remained as clear as my Leupold's (I have several Leupy's), while hunting in all sorts of crappy weather.

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The Accupoints will hold up to some pretty rugged use. It won't take as hard a hit as an ACOG, being a variable, but in a good, solid scope mount (LaRue LT104 or equivalent) it will survive duty use fine.

Leupold's 1.5-5X is also excellent for that use without costing a fortune. I don't have a problem with most Leupolds for duty grade use, it just depends on the reticle, power and mount.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Whhen you decide, check www.swfa.com. And be sure to compare that decision against their line of scopes.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I am a Leupold person PERIOD .

I however will use older Redfields as well as the Leupold made Redfields .

I have used Swarovski's and Zeiss and while they are okay they didn't do any better for me then the plain old Leupold Vari XIII at about half the price .

I never have been much on Nikon optics but over the last couple years I have used several of their scopes on other folks rifles and they seemed to be okay .

I'm very much in favor of older Weavers (El Paso ones) . And use them on several of my rifles .

Several of my friends are big on Vortec scopes , I have fired some of their guns with that brand scopes on them and while they seemed to work okay I'm not sold yet .

We had a rifle in the shop for awhile with a Trigicon on it and it seemed servicable , but I never fired it and do not know which version it was .

I suppose one of my biggest factor in me being pretty much sold on Leupold for years is their no B...u...l...l...s...h...i...t attitude about warrebty service repair and replacement . Now I realize some of you will say if they make it well enough you never should need to have it repaired which unto itself is true . But if you use ANY product long enough sooner or later you most likely will have some kind of problem . Just about everything thats caused me to send a Leupold product back has been my fault or someone else's . And a couple have gone back to change the reticle or turrents .

I've been told Nikon has a pretty decent service/return policy but I've never owned one so I cannot say personally .

Anyway Triggicon is not on my short list of scopes to buy .

For new ones it goes like this ,

Leupold
Redfield
Nikon
Nightforce
Swarovski

Never personally owned a Nightforce either but I have shot a couple of those and while I am not totally sure they're worth the price I would like to have one or two :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Especially for military/LE users, Trijicon stands behind their products. But overall, their warranty is solid.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I would buy a higher grade Leupold over a Trijicon any day.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

I bought a Trijicon TR24 1-4X scope... very happy with it... deciding feature: illuminated reticle that uses no batteries.

If you are looking for more than 4X, perhaps the higher quality of a Leopold makes a bigger difference.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

MacEntyre wrote:I bought a Trijicon TR24 1-4X scope... very happy with it... deciding feature: illuminated reticle that uses no batteries.

If you are looking for more than 4X, perhaps the higher quality of a Leopold makes a bigger difference.
IMHO all the Leupold VX scopes are okay as well as their relatively new Redfield Revolution . Granted there are others that may be as good and some that might be better . But most Joe Average Deerhunter types will be fine with any of the one mentioned or for that matter a Simmons ProHunter !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Not everyon's Joe Deerhunter.

The original poster was specifically requesting info about duty use for law enforcement.