Browning X Bolt - Opinions?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Browning X Bolt - Opinions?

Post by vancelw »

I've found a Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker in a caliber that interests me.
It's online so I can't get my hands on it. I've never owned a Browning bolt action rifle.

Do any of y'all own an X-bolt? What do you think about it? Trigger, feeding, extraction? Accuracy?

This long winter is getting expensive :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Re: Browning X Bolt - Opinions?

Post by getitdone1 »

I have a couple of A-Bolts and like them. The short bolt handle throw is a big plus to me. I don't believe the newer X-Bolt is much different.

Don
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

getitdone1 wrote:I have a couple of A-Bolts and like them. The short bolt handle throw is a big plus to me. I don't believe the newer X-Bolt is much different.

Don
That's one thing I was wondering....maybe the trigger and scope bases?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

One of my best friends has one in 30-06. I was pretty impressed with it. It is good looking, very light, accurate, and the trigger breaks like glass. The bolt operates very smoothly, and he has not had any problems with feeding, extraction, etc. yet, and he's had the gun for about 3 years. I would really like one of the compact X-Bolts in .308. It is on my "want to buy someday" list. This is the only Browning bolt action I have ever handled, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I would not hesitate to get one, especially in stainless.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I guess I'll find out :lol: I just bought it.

I was looking for a .325 WSM and had narrowed my choices to a Kimber Montana or a Browning Stainless (X or A Bolt). I found one with a little rust on the outside of the barrel for a very decent price. I hated to pay for a new one (my lgs gave me an EXCELLENT preice) not having any experience with one. If I like it and can't handle (or fix) the rust I'll sell it and buy a brand new one. Or it may be my first ever cerakote project.

I'm a little anxious, buying a gun with obvious rust on the exterior. The bore is supposedly clean as well as the action. You have to be pretty lackadaisical to let a stainless gun rust (they require minimal care to preserve) so I wonder how poorly it was treated otherwise. We shall see.

The weight on the X-bolt is advertised as the same as the Kimber. I really like the Mauser extraction and feeding, but the price difference and tang safety made me willing to take a chance...
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Now the quest for bullets, brass, dies and scope mounts continues. :D That's part of the fun right? Right?