Split a bunch of Firewood today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Split a bunch of Firewood today

Post by AJMD429 »

Lots of nice firewood split today... man it wore me out. . . :D

But I was lucky enough to do it the easy way...

My John Deere and Northern Tool team work together like a charm...

Felt 'guilty' burning Cherry...

Until I split some of it...
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Split a bunch of Firewood today

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That cherry will pop, and spark real bad.... :o (but, you knew that.....I didn't when I ruined the rug in front of the fireplace many moons ago)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

I have to split some firewood tomorrow... 'spose to get cold again and snow in NC this week. I have to do it with my Armstrong Power Log Splitter... me own arms and a splitting maul! :lol:
TDF
Levergunner

Post by TDF »

I've got a hydraulic log splitter I made a couple of years ago that is also powered off the tractor, it really does the trick, but sometimes I still split by hand. Did a cord of red maple a couple of months ago because it was in my brothers yard and too much hassle to load the logs and bring them to the splitter (they were 2' in diameter and wet) or load the splitter/tractor and bring them to the logs. Plus that red maple splits so darn easy that I just started into it and before I knew it I was done. Last two weeks though, I've been hand splitting a cord of Hackberry, and that really gives a guy a workout, been tackling a few logs each night after work and really hit it hard yesterday. Lots of sore muscles, but I really need to burn a few calories off and no point paying to go to a gym to get the same sore muscles.

TDF
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I still have 3 cords from about 15 years ago. Well aged, quite dry, only trouble is getting it from the barn storage to the house! But, I have 3 downed trees I have to cut up and split... Keep addin and little subtraction... Wife doesn't like messin' with the fire, and for the few days at a time that I'm home, it hardly seems worth it.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

MacEntyre wrote:I have to split some firewood tomorrow... 'spose to get cold again and snow in NC this week. I have to do it with my Armstrong Power Log Splitter... me own arms and a splitting maul! :lol:
Lol yep split mine the same way. Cut and split some on Friday need to get out and cut some more tomorrow after I sharpen a chain for the saw. Tree I cut the other day had an old fence grown inside of it an it killed my chain.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Those Monster Mauls will kill a guy. I much prefer my old fashioned wood handled maul.

Kevin
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I heat with wood but have yet to buy a log splitter. It's just me, a splitting maul, and a wood grenade.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I picked up on the monster maul right off. I gave mine away 25 years ago when I said I was done burning wood. I bought a shorter version from tractor supply after several job changes made me see wood isn't a bad thing. The Monster maul is rough on a old man!
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

CHERRY! I pay good money for cherry wood for smoking salmon.Cherry wood will impart
alot of chocolate color on the fish and a lite, smooth smoke flavor.Similar to apple with more
color.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Post by carbluesnake »

I will use the easy way if I have to, that is pressured by time to cure. I split 2 1/2 cds. the year before the old fashioned way, with an ax, wedge, and maul. I thank God I can still do it if I have enough Aleve. I am only 65 but my shoulder talks to me a lot when I do such.