OT - Sixguns...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jon Dough
Levergunner

OT - Sixguns...

Post by Jon Dough »

Since sixguns.com forum isn't up right now, where are y'all posting yer SA sixgun talk? I could post here, but don't want to distract from all the lever action going on... pun intended!

I've been rewarded... err, actually, I screwed up and withheld TOO much $$ from my taxes, so I got a huge return.

So, long story short, I got some $$, and am gonna buy my packing gun. Actually, it needs to be a small, compact, SA work gun - similar to the gun given away at the CSA recently.

Nothing fancy, but a 4 5/8" Ruger or SAA clone to carry, keep in my Jeep, etc. .357, .44sp/mag, .45lc, whatever. (or shorter? Maybe a Cimarron sherrif's model, or thunderer?)

Until I buy it, or find it at a show, used, cheap, etc., I need a place to chat about it w/ like minded individuals who won't tell me to skip it and go buy a glock wonder-40, etc. :-)

Thanks!

JD
Yoohoo. I'll make you famous!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: Sixguns...

Post by AmBraCol »

Jon Dough wrote:Since sixguns.com forum isn't up right now, where are y'all posting yer SA sixgun talk? I could post here, but don't want to distract from all the lever action going on... pun intended!

I've been rewarded... err, actually, I screwed up and withheld TOO much $$ from my taxes, so I got a huge return.

So, long story short, I got some $$, and am gonna buy my packing gun. Actually, it needs to be a small, compact, SA work gun - similar to the gun given away at the CSA recently.

Nothing fancy, but a 4 5/8" Ruger or SAA clone to carry, keep in my Jeep, etc. .357, .44sp/mag, .45lc, whatever. (or shorter? Maybe a Cimarron sherrif's model, or thunderer?)

Until I buy it, or find it at a show, used, cheap, etc., I need a place to chat about it w/ like minded individuals who won't tell me to skip it and go buy a glock wonder-40, etc. :-)

Thanks!

JD

Here works fine too. http://www.sixshootercommunity.com has a link to their forum at the top of the page. Many of the denizens of this forum inhabit that one as well. Fine folk all the way around.

I almost forgot to mention, there's other forums linked there too - right at the top of the page...
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Jon Dough
Levergunner

Cool!

Post by Jon Dough »

I'm there as well, posting under my real name/email (clmautz).

Used to use that here as well, but my account got disabled somehow - both gmail and yahoo were not allowed when I tried to sign back up.

So, instead of bugging you, I just created this new, witty account (Jon Dough, I love it!) :-)

I'll post SAA stuff there, and Leverguns stuff both places.... :-)

Thanks for the quick reply!

Oh my, now that I've seen those new forums, now I'll REALLY be productive at work... :-)

Chip err, I mean Jon...
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Nothing goes better with a levergun then a good SA :D .

I am partial to the Rugers but I have larger hands then most. I usually carry my 7 1/2" Vaqureo but I do carry my 4 5/8" bisley Vaquero on ocasion.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I've been carrying my New Vaquero but think that maybe the Montado would be THE ticket for a SA carry gun.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Welcome Jon Dough to the Forum.

Sixguns and levers share a natural affinity. But, as in most things the devil's in the details. I've owned and operated Rugers, Colts and several varieties of Colt clones.

Ruger, nothing I can say could possibly add to their strength and durability. (My preference is strictly in the 3-screw variety, the NM has little attraction for me). I have a 3-screw coming from my B-I-L who back in the early '80s bought up several in the 4-5/8", .357 mode. He's condescened enough to allow me to purchase one of his precious "spares"!

However, my love is mostly reserved for the Colt SAA. I currently have 3, one .357 in 7-½" and two 4-¾" .45 Colts. The 3 are almost strictly cowboy action competition guns, although with std loads they are no slouch for a defensive weapon; (as long as the fight will be short)!

I have 3 clones, and they are each of a different maker, yet all 3 were imported thru EMF. All have been slicked up to one degree or another; all are 4-¾", one .357 and 2 .45 Colts. The 2 .45s were both rebuilt as CAS competition guns by Oglesby & Oglesby, while the .357 was slicked up by the quick draw artist known as Bob Munden. They were produced by Jager of Italy, Armi San Marco, and Uberti.

None of the 6 are such delicate flowers as to be cradled on velvet pillows, all will work hard and on ocassion be put up wet! :shock: I have found nothing to inhibit my enthusiam for the Colt SAA design. I've carried each of them, (except the 7-½) as sidearms during hunts and even actual work in LE. (This was done with special permission by the Sheriff, and under specific circumstances. This included uniformed work as a mounted officer in parades, or other public gatherings where some "head nod" to the historic aspects of "Sheriffin'" was warranted, to work in an undercover search for a escaping felon that was thought to be working on a nearby ranch. Never felt undergunned. Possibly that was a result of my years of competition in cowboy action matches, where I was confident of the guns' and my ability to carry out the assignment. (Failed, BTW, as we learned a few days later that the perp had caught a ride outta the county with an older farmer headed into to Dallas about daybreak, the morning following the shootin'. Last I recall hearing was that he was back in Mexico.)

However, no discussion of the Colt SAA design should leave out USFA or Freedom Arms. Both are excellent copies of or enhancements to the design, possess workmanship of a level that's second to none. Were I desirous of a traditional designed and size pistol to shoot potent cartridges, I'd not hesitate to purchase a FA. And the quality of the USFA Colt clone is truly remarkable.

There, you have my thoughts on SAs. Others are certainly welcome to their opinions, and are invited to disagree.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jon Dough
Levergunner

Awesome, thanks guys!

Post by Jon Dough »

This forum is excellent. No wonder I've been reading and lurking on it for years. Also makes me glad I snapped up my old '72 Model 94 30wcf used at my local shop a few years ago - I think I got it for $175 out the door, w/ cash.

That montado looks great! I will compare that up against some of the short SAA clones, and make a decision.

Best thing is, can't go wrong w/ any of the aforementioned suggestions...

Thanks fellas!

JD
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

Hobie said

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
think that maybe the Montado would be THE ticket for a SA carry gun.
I agree with what Hobie said - I think the Montado would be awesome as a woods carry gun. Although - your comment on the wonder glock makes me wonder - I have a Glock 23 and enjoy shooting it - in fact, it is my "keep my house safe" gun - if something goes bump in the night and I can't get a shotgun - 13 round of 40 S&W will have to do and I beleive they would be capable. I beleive there are some others here that enjoy the capabilities of a good auto gun - versions such as 1911's, glocks, sigs, and all the others...

enjoy your stay here - it is a good place to hang out...
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Welcome to the fire Jon Dough! I think your choice of a SA for a work gun is a good one. I've got 6 of them from various makers and I'm convinced that they are the best thing going when it comes to an everyday,work or woods bumming gun.
The ones I carry the most are a 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk in .41 magnum,a Cimarron model P, 4 3/4" in .45 Colt and a Colt SAA,5 1/2" in .357 magnum.
Any of these are easy to carry,rock-solid reliable and can take care of snakes,Snappin' turtles or anything when I'm piddling around the place.
El Paso saddelry's crossdraw holster keeps them out of the way and protected, As does Kirkpatrick's Graveyard rig,it has the most comfortable belt I've ever worn too. :)
Whichever one you decide on,be sure and post pictures! :wink:
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I just got a New Vaquero .357 4 5/8 barrel, and really like it. Steve Young slicked it up for me and did a bead blast job on it to tone down the shiny a bit.
Welcome! Occasionally we even have threads about guns fitted into all the religion and politics...thankfully! :? :D :?
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

These 2 are both Cimarron's. The one on the bottom with the shorter bbl. gets carried more than anything I own because it's just so darn portable!
The .45 does a number on Copperheads with shot loads and REALLY does a number on them when You have it stoked with 255 grain lead FP's. :shock:

meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

These are a few sites:

Just click on the link then add to your favorites.

http://single-actions.phpbb3now.com

http://rugerforum.net/

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/

I personally own all Ruger Single Action revolvers Blackhawks/Super Blackhawks/single sixes/Vaquero.

I think they make fine additions to any levergun :D

...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Tumbleweeds
Levergunner 1.0

The slickest carry gun I have is a Cimarron Sheriff. It has

Post by Tumbleweeds »

a 3.5" bbl and shoots right to point of aim with those fixed sights. Cimarron doesn't guarantee that, but this one does it.

An old Texas Ranger said if you can't kill a man with 5 rounds of .45 Colt you should just throw the gun in the river and run.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Hobie wrote:I've been carrying my New Vaquero but think that maybe the Montado would be THE ticket for a SA carry gun.

That looks almost like the Gene Berry/Bat Masterson gun from the old television series. It might be the ticket if they would just chamber it for .44 Special! I own several short barreled Rugers and am fond of them.
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

Bought a Ruger Montado couple of months ago. Very nice. Yes I have been watching the old Bat Masterson series.

Shoots very well especially point shooting.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Welcome John Dough,

Scuse me for being ignorant but what is it about the Montado that makes it the Montado?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Rusty wrote:Welcome John Dough,
Scuse me for being ignorant but what is it about the Montado that makes it the Montado?
It was made for mounted shooters, has a lower hammer, and stippled backstrap and grooved front gripframe; all in the name of easier one-handed shooting from a galloping horse.

Edit: Short barrel for easy draw & holstering and chambered in .45Colt due to commonality of BP blanks. Stainless for easy cleaning and corrosion resistance from said BP blanks.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

I like my Montado; it is at it's best point-shooting, as that big, shiny topstrap overwhelms the relatively smaller, shiny front sight when trying to get a sight picture, at least with my middle-aged eyes. I never saw the old Bat Masterson TV show, but like the Montado for what it is.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Jeff Pitts
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Jeff Pitts »

Sixguns and leverguns go togather like peanut butter and jelly!

Like beer and pretzels

Like grouse and mashed potatoes and gravy.

Like backstrap and morels............... :D :D :D

Jeff
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I love the looks of that MONTADO, but I must confess, I cant stand the Bat Masterson Show. I think its the song that I find so irritating! :D