Fishing gear to have near for three seasons?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Fishing gear to have near for three seasons?

Post by rjohns94 »

Well we are a month away from March 1, the time of year that I start fishing for yellow perch and those that follow. From the end of Feb through the fall, at least one rod stays in my truck continually. I live in York, pa! but my travels for work take me to Maryland with all it's rivers! ponds, reservoirs, Chesapeake bay and the ocean. Also, Delaware with its bay and ocean and numerous parks with ponds and rivers.

I keep an ultra light spinning rod in the truck. Along with it a small fishing bag with small lures and a variety of tackle, this one rod serves me for all my pan fish type fishing. I also have a 7 foot medium rod that I use for sea trout, schoolie stripers, small blues and such. I can also use it for bass or walleye in fresh water. In Ocean City Maryland, I can cast buck tails and grubs. for stripers and trout, while at the same time, can harvest oysters at low tide as well as mussels while fishing. Crabs can be gathered in season with simple strings and a net.

So what do you keep with you for some quick opportune fishing?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Re: Fishing gear to have near for three seasons?

Post by octagon »

Yellow grubs, and attach spinners if water is not clear. I have used these for years (mister twisters) it is my secret weapon for panfish and bass. I put em in a small round plastic candy container, it it the only tackle I take on the river, with an ultra light spinning reel. From my kayak, I cast towards the bank and rarely ever get skunked. Fish at sunup, on the shady side. While other colors work sometimes, yellow always works, I don't bother with other colors. Last year I caught 21 large mouth bass in 70 minutes.
Last edited by octagon on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

One of these:

http://www.emmrod.com/

I was very skeptical of this concept, but then a friend and I got one for one of our other friends for his birthday. It is pretty awesome. It's a little different casting technique, more of a snapping motion, but it works. The actual pole comes out of the handle with a simple twist, and packs down smaller than it already is. They also make a fly rod version. That one I'm still skeptical about, but won't be surprised if it works just fine. If you get the universal handle, you can mount a spin, spin cast, bait cast, or fly reel, and use different poles with the same handle to suit your needs.

I love to fish, and that one is perfect for packing or keeping in the truck in case I have some extra time to pull over and wet a line. I also have a small little tackle box with various rooster tails, a couple of spinners, a worm or two, and (don't laugh) a couple of Banjo Minnows.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Dupont spinner.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Take down 5 weight fly rod --- budget grade (maybe 200 bucks ) ---- I'm not a fisherman, but I need capable intermediate grade kit when the time comes
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It's all about steelhead, and salmon here. Barbless hooks, corkys, and yarn. Pencil lead cut according to river conditions.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

BlaineG wrote:It's all about steelhead, and salmon here. Barbless hooks, corkys, and yarn. Pencil lead cut according to river conditions.
Ya lost me after "barbless hooks". Never lived in salmon/steelhead country, so please elaborate on the corkys. yarn and pencil lead cut! :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Dynamite. Or a TA 312. :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

10-4 on the dynomite. Keep a small tackle box with short fuses already crimped into caps in the top trays and sticks of 60% in the bottom.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

M. M. Wright wrote:10-4 on the dynomite. Keep a small tackle box with short fuses already crimped into caps in the top trays and sticks of 60% in the bottom.
Dupont spinner= 1/4 stick and a brick
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

We can fish the annual silver bass run from a public pier 5 minutes away. Average is 2# & you get a fish about every 3 casts.

Since I saw a guy catching them with an ice fishing rod, I use my kid's old HDL setup (Huey, Dewey & Louie combo rod/reel).

Carry it in my truck. Rarely am I some where where I cannot fish with that kinda gear setup and I don't care much if I break it or it gets stolen.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Steelhead and walleye. A 9 foot ugly stick attached to a spinning reel spooled with #8lb. Vanishing line, with a 1/3 oz. Blue/Silver Little Cleo lure tied to it.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

claybob86 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:It's all about steelhead, and salmon here. Barbless hooks, corkys, and yarn. Pencil lead cut according to river conditions.
Ya lost me after "barbless hooks". Never lived in salmon/steelhead country, so please elaborate on the corkys. yarn and pencil lead cut! :)
This is sort of the basic idea....I use a bit more yarn...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Thanks!
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

Whenever I get the hankering for a fish dinner, I use a MasterCard. Works every time.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.