It's RELIABLE or it's nothing

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

It's RELIABLE or it's nothing

Post by getitdone1 »

Been reading about the Remington 742 and Winchester 100. Several folks had trouble with these guns so I'm steering clear of them.

The number one thing I require of any gun is RELIABILITY.

Seen a sweet little Remington model 7, stainless and synthetic stock. Now I'm sure that's a reliable gun. Also light to carry, short to handle well and stainless for less 'care worries.' Think I'll buy one.

Apples and oranges but after many guns I more and more appreciate the reliability and accuracy of the bolt-action. Usually also comes with a better trigger pull than the other action types. When you think about it that's a lot of good reasons for a bolt-gun.

Don
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Re: It's RELIABLE or it's nothing

Post by elmo123 »

I have had 3 different 100's in 308, none of them worked 100% of the time and they ruined 2 different scopes. I took the first one to a gunsmith because it would not cycle. He told me that if I wanted a reliable semi auto hunting rifle that a Browning was the way to go. I really liked the 100 but I ended up selling them to a collector. I have a friend that has a 742 carbine in 30-06 and his has never failed him, he only shots it a couple of times a year.

Mike
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I tend to look at the product history. How long has it been made?
100+ years like the Win.94 or the Colts1911???
Short lived designs tend to be trouble.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I must be the odd man out, because in the last 45 years I've owned/shot/hunted with two .30-06 Remington autoloaders (a 742 & a 7400), two Winchester 100's ( a .243 & a .243 Carbine I had converted to .358), and two older .30-06 BAR's (I guess you can say I like .30-06's ;) ) - all w/o a bobble.

BUT - I don't shoot the snot out of my hunting rifles, maybe why other folks have issues (due to heavy shooting).

I only zero them, and take a few practice shots before every deer season/trip (mostly to check zeroes.

BTW, IMO the BAR's fit/finish is head & shoulders above the others.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

In my personal opinion, it's not if, but, when a semi-auto will jam. I've also had small problems with levers, but, I'm sure most of them can be attributed to being fussy how they are cycled.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I had a 742 carbine version in .308. It was a great rifle that I consider 100% reliable. I never had 1 malfunction even when firing the 10 round mags that they made for it at the time. My only complaint was that accuracy was about 3" at 100 yrds with 150 grn and the 180s held about 5".

My father in law has a 7400 in 30-06 that shoots the 150s and 180s and both will hold at about 1 1/2" at 100 yrds. It is an excellent rifle and neither of us have ever experienced any malfunction!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

All weapons will malfunction sometimes.In other words, you may have one that never malfunctioned, but somewhere someone has had the same model that did. I hear about at least as many people who have had malfunctions with bolt guns as levers or semi-autos, if not more.

Proportionately, I would not know what the ratio would be because many more people are hunting with bolt guns than the other types.

With the best models of each, action type, most malfunctions are going to be because of improper maintenance, bad ammo, or user error (modern safeties on the newer lever guns, too).

Maintenance on a semi-auto will be different than on a bolt gun. The best ammo can still have problems.

I have no issues with hunting with a semi-auto. My dad shot a lot of deer with an M1A (and a Garand when he was a kid). I shot caribou with an FN-49 when I was a kid. I know people who hunt exclusively with BARs and Remington autos, without incident. I use a .50 Beowulf for bear protection - I have fired hundreds of rounds through it.

I personally have a lot of faith in the Browning BARs (the older ones - I have heard nothing bad about the Shorttrack/Longtrack rifles, just have not heard much at all yet). I don't personally care for Remington autoloaders, except for Model 8 and 81, but just because I don't like the style. I know people who swear by the reliability of theirs. M1A and AR platforms, if built correctly, are boringly reliable.

I would say that if you are going to hunt with a semi, you need to be more discerning in choosing a rifle, as because of their simplicity, bolt guns are more forgiving of design and manufacturing errors or differences. Most bolt rifles will be very reliable; some semis will be very reliable.

I say go with what makes you most comfortable.

One thing about semis; time usually weeds out the less reliable designs.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Basic is good.

The few firearms I'd select from many I've owned over the years, if I had to "walk into the gates of hell", are pretty basic.
  • Ruger Hawkeye 'Alaskan' in 375 Ruger; nothing fragile about it, and whatever it hits will be impacted seriously.

Ruger Redhawk in 44 Magnum; for essentially the same reasons.
If I really thought I needed 'firepower' in terms of lots of rounds quickly, I'd change to:
  • Springfield M1A in 308 Winchester; nothing fragile I can see, just a bit more vulnerable to bad ammo.

Para Ordnance P-14 in 45 ACP; no more fragile than any other 1911, seems to feed pretty reliably.
As far as 'Leverguns', it would be a Marlin (fewer and bigger parts than others), and since I'd likely have one of the other long guns as well, I'd opt for a handy little 'carbine' one in 357 Mag or 44 Mag. Likely 44 Mag since I'd be toting the Redhawk.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

When I was a kid, it seemed everyone that didn't hunt with an old mauser or British 303, used a Marlin or Winchester 30/30 if they were lucky enough to have one, and the other most common guns were Remington 742's and my grandpa always swore by his old Winchester 100.

But back then, the deer were scarce and the auto guys wanted every chance they could get to send a round down range, often at a running deer. I started with an old Swedish Mauser of dad's, then a post 64 Winchester 30/30, Marlin 45/70, and later for many years relied mostly on a Remington 700 in .270.

I never cared for the semi-auto much because they were usually a pound or two heavier, not as accurate, I did see several that people complained of jamming issues, and I hated cross bolt safety's, still do.

later I eventually discovered the Browning BLR and found the best of both worlds, Accuracy, reliability, and fast shooting, light enough carry all day, and handled like a fine bird gun in a fast moving situation. I do carry other guns sometimes out of boredom, mostly, but the BLR is still king as far as I am concerned.
NRA Life Member, Patron
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

getitdone1 wrote: The number one thing I require of any gun is RELIABILITY.
Don
Then I would think a good single shot would be your weapon of choice.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

getitdone1 wrote: Apples and oranges but after many guns I more and more appreciate the reliability and accuracy of the bolt-action. Usually also comes with a better trigger pull than the other action types. When you think about it that's a lot of good reasons for a bolt-gun.

Don
:o I didn't catch it on my first read, but just noticed you were throwin that 4 letter word (BOLT) around!!! :oops: I sure hope TERRY wasn't watching as that is not only OT, it is pure BLASPHMY!

My most reliable rifles by far are my Marlin 336 in 30-30 and my 1894 in .44 magnum!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

All of my guns seem fairly reliable, but in hindsight I've noticed that if one of them does have a problem I seem to take the same approach that I do with the wife or my dog. I usually find a work-around that doesn't involve their cooperation.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

getitdone1 wrote: When you think about it that's a lot of good reasons for a bolt-gun.

Don
Except for the fact that this is Leverguns.com and not Boltguns.com.

AR-15 in an alternative chambering (450 Bushmaster, .50 Beowulf , etc) - is as reliable and potent as i need for a semi --- ugly? sure, but why complicate things
----- Doug
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

The 742 is a reliable gun, but not durable. Bro and I both had .308's that we shot. A lot. Gunsmith that repaired them told us if we wanted to shoot that much we needed to spend the money for a BAR, M1A, or Garand. I think he was right.