Researching a M8 4X Compact

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Researching a M8 4X Compact

Post by Canuck Bob »

I have bumped into a used Leupold. I have no numbers or pics but would like folks opinions on the suitability of this scope, please?

Are there any indicators to age or optical generation to ask to help with the decision?

I'l e contacting seller later today.
Hobie

Re: Researching a M8 4X Compact

Post by Hobie »

Lifetime warranty.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Friend used the 6x for donkies years :)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Found some answers. Optics planet has an old spec sheet and it seems to be the same as the current FX-I Ultralight Rimfire 4X28. The eye relief is listed as 4.5", fine duplex reticle, and it is small and a true centerfire scope. Folks like the scope and you often hear the old refrain, wish I hadn't sold mine. Some say the Compact came later in the production series, no way to check.

I've requested pictures and info so we will see.

Hobie nailed my biggest pro, warranty. My biggest concern was seriously dated optic glass technology. Can't get a 2013 Jeep buying a CJ! Price will likely decided this if the pics are good.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IMHO, You're wasting your time, with all the research & "checking",

It's a Leupold - just buy it !

You can never go wrong with one, because if it turns out to have an issue(s), Leupold will stand behind it.

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Pete your advice is sound. I'm negotiating online as we speak, so to say.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Good Luck, and don't negotiate yourself out of the deal ;) (check lowest new scope prices first, @ www.swfa.com )

I own 6 Leupold scopes, all bought "used" (but look & perform like new) @ various funshops, from $75 (4x Rimfire Compacts) to $125 (2-7x28 & 2-7x32).

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Deal done by EMT. Pictures are OK, seeler has a good rating on our classified site and ships tomorrow hopefully.

It is guaranteed to be in good repair and with no dings, bends, scratches in the glass or tube. Now to source out a set of low or medium rings.

Pics to follow when it is installed.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have one, fine scope.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Scope has arrived in almost NIB cosmetics. Glass is clean, image is great, and the eyebox is generous out around 4.5 inches. I earlier reported it as a centerfire but it is a rimfire model but they were used a lot by centerfire shooters without concern. Unlike the current 4X28 FX-1 Rimfire Ultralight the M8's were built to the same standard as the M8 4X32 model which is now a FX-2 making the little 4X28 a lower standard but good price.

I sure fussed over nothing. This little scope is a dandy. I read too many threads debating the benefits of new technology, glass, and coatings, click turrets and such. There is no doubt these things have a place and with the right rifle/scope/shooter combo I can see why I wouldn't want a Canadian, American, or Brit sniper taking any interest in me even from the next township. Guys who hunt like this scope that should have been my first clue for my needs, set and forget!

Just getting used to the idea of scopes but my stubborn nature sure kept me from a wonderful sight picture! From now on they are fixed optical peep sights to me. A 2.5X for the the 444 and serious camp rifle duty in the Rockies. A 4X for a 223 bolt both setup as set and forget sight systems. I now have a 22 Hornet Handi and a 9422 (slight cringe) to setup once these first rifles are settled in.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If you're interested in an optical peep sight, just wait until you can try one of the smaller Reflex Sights,
like the $80 Weaver Micro or the more expensive Burris Fastfire II, Tasco Optima, and/or Dr.Optics items.

They clamp onto a small Weaver base - No front sight req'd.