Kindle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Kindle

Post by 6pt-sika »

Got my daughter Kindle 7 for a very late Xmas present or wedding present . I'll be heading to the Philippines February 15th . While getting hers I decided to get myself one and opted for the Kindle 8.9 the two of them combined were less then an I Pad 2 . I'm using mine now and it seems okay although slower to use then my laptop or I Phone . This thing is a check of a lot lighter to carry when I fly that's for sure :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Kindle

Post by ndcowboy »

I bought my wife one for Christmas and she loves it. I still like my laptop more. I'm not a big fan of touch screens because a person is constantly smearing the screen he is looking at.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My daughter loves her's. It is a good product for sure!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Just got my wife a Kindle Fire HD for her birthday on Tuesday. She loves it. I did a lot of asking around and reading reviews online and out of the iPad, and other windows or android based tablets, the Kindle Fire was the clear winner, at least for me. Got a heck of a deal from Amazon.
NRA Life Member
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

TedH wrote:Just got my wife a Kindle Fire HD for her birthday on Tuesday. She loves it. I did a lot of asking around and reading reviews online and out of the iPad, and other windows or android based tablets, the Kindle Fire was the clear winner, at least for me. Got a heck of a deal from Amazon.
I got our daughters from Best Buy just because I had gift certificates . The 8.9 I got for myself I got from Amazon also . I need to figure out the downloading and saving pics on the darn thing . Our daughter wanted one to play video games mostly and maybe surf the net some . I originally ordered another 7 for myself with a little more memory but returned it when I realized it had no video cam . Only cost me $60 to get the 8.9 and man that thing is carry friendly LOL's !

Okay we are set as a family now LOL's !

Got the wife a Samsung something or other with a plan like we have here . She wanted something so she had net access 24/7 . Most of the time they use pre pay phones . Got our daughter this tablet and one for myself . Hopefully another couple years before we need anymore of this type stuff YEAH RIGHT !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

What do data plans run for those? I used to watch NetFlix on my Galaxy II until I realized I blew through 2 gigs of data in just a a couple movies....very expensive lesson.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BlaineG wrote:What do data plans run for those? I used to watch NetFlix on my Galaxy II until I realized I blew through 2 gigs of data in just a a couple movies....very expensive lesson.
In the PI a month is about $25 a month unlimited internet and text but only four hours talk. But my wife and daughter I think would rather text then call .
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BlaineG wrote:What do data plans run for those? I used to watch NetFlix on my Galaxy II until I realized I blew through 2 gigs of data in just a a couple movies....very expensive lesson.
I have an older Kindle Fire that is wi-fi only, so I never have any data charges unless I go over my limit (27 GB so I never have)
It's not a true computer but it does exactly what I bought it for and for a reasonable price.

We bought it before our Africa trip in 2012 and I used it to store .pdf versions of all our documents (boarding passes, MedJet Assist Insurance policy, Driver's License, passport, you name it) I also used it to search for and book rental cars and hotels a day or two ahead of our willy nilly (non) itinerary. Used it to wire money at the end of my hunt.

Great little investments.

The thing I never thought I'd like but do is reading on it , especially in the deer stand :D All the "pros" tell you not to, but reading helps me not to fidget. Page-turning is noiseless and takes very little motion. Just read boring books so you look up more often. :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

6, I use skype on my samsung android and it's perfect, will that work on the kindle tablet?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Grizz wrote:6, I use skype on my samsung android and it's perfect, will that work on the kindle tablet?
Used to use YM and SKYPE .

Now the pooh is VIBER 8)

IF one has a smart phone you can talk internationally FOR FREE !

I am not aware enough of the Kindle yet for Skype or even YM . But I have YM , Skype and Viber on my I Phone .
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I may be wrong about the newer ones but the older Kindles didn't have a camera or a fast enough processor to run Skype
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

vancelw wrote:I may be wrong about the newer ones but the older Kindles didn't have a camera or a fast enough processor to run Skype
The 7 has no video cam but this 8.9 does .
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I have most all of my new book purchases through kindle --- I don't have a Kindle branded machine, but use the service through a Samsung Galaxy 7" tab and my I-pad ------- the 10" ipad screen is too big for late night reading, but a 7" screen is perfect
------ never thought I'd take to books on a device, but holds numerous books in the space of one, --plus the best aspect is being able to read in the dark while Rita (wifey :) ) is sleeping
I subscribe to a few magazines too that I get through pixelmags ---- pretty easy to read in bed also . Internet surfing is okay ---- but typing is tedious , so I stay away from serious action on there
----- Doug
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

i got a nexus seven from my brother about a year and a half ago. I like it. You can transfer files from pc to tablet via charging cable. The tablet has no hdmi or usb port, but does have wifi capability. Sure does run a lot cooler than a laptop or pc. I only have a pc, no laptop, but would prefer a laptop for the cd rom and the ports. I'm sure there are probably a few tablets out there that you use a flashdrive on, been a while since i looked at them.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that transfer doesn't work with linux unless you have samba running.....

I do the sneaker net thing with the microSD. I recently saw a gizmo that adapts a usb flash drive to the data port. That will probably get tested here, seems like a good solution for complete backup with no pc required.....

I'll post a link when I re-stumble onto the gadget

Edit: CAUTION... certified thread drift

found this tab application that may help someone

http://www.pocketables.com/2011/06/usin ... anner.html
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

We found that we can get refurb iPads cheaper than Kindles. Grandparents got Kindles for all the kids, but once they each broke for the second time, we started replacing them with iPads (the connection for the charger is stupid and designed to fail on the Kindle Fires, and I don't have the soldering skills to reattach them - I tried).

I hate the Kindles because Amazon forces you to set up an account, the thing has to be able to connect to Amazon to be used, and they target the kids with ads designed to get the kids to accidentally purchase stuff. With the Kindles, you can't control what they are putting in front of the kids.
bubba15301
Levergunner

Post by bubba15301 »

7.62 Precision wrote:We found that we can get refurb iPads cheaper than Kindles. Grandparents got Kindles for all the kids, but once they each broke for the second time, we started replacing them with iPads (the connection for the charger is stupid and designed to fail on the Kindle Fires, and I don't have the soldering skills to reattach them - I tried).

I hate the Kindles because Amazon forces you to set up an account, the thing has to be able to connect to Amazon to be used, and they target the kids with ads designed to get the kids to accidentally purchase stuff. With the Kindles, you can't control what they are putting in front of the kids.
thats what happened to my daughters kindle ,could not charge it
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

bubba15301 wrote: thats what happened to my daughters kindle ,could not charge it
We had five the kids got for Christmas presents. We replaced all at least once and and some a second time. All eventually stop charging, even though the kids were not allowed to touch the chargers and they were handled carefully. Finally, we started replacing them with iPads as they broke, it was less expensive and much better. The youngest has had the last working Kindle passed down to him, and he will get an iPad when it quits.

Still not thrilled with them having the electronics at all, but we keep the use pretty limited.