what value for this 1902 Marlin 1894 32-20?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

what value for this 1902 Marlin 1894 32-20?

Post by MacEntyre »

I like vintage shooters, especially 32WCF. Found another local Marlin. It's a model 1894 in 32-20 made in 1902. I prefer the full length magazine and loading gate on the older rifles, as opposed to the later models with 6 round magazine and 39a style loading slot in the mag tube.

I'm finding few of these that have sold online. This one has been for sale for over a year. The seller it has 80% of the 1/2 nickel factory option (receiver, forend cap, lever, buttplate). The bolt is blued. Lyman tang site, factory blade front. Barrel/mag tube blue is well worn, some slight pitting on exterior of bbl, bore is frosty but has sharp, strong rifling. It comes with all his reloading supplies, which I already have, plus 1500 lead bullets and three boxes of factory loads.

He's asking $875. Seems a wee bit high to me... but it comes with $200 worth of bullets and ammo. What is the rifle worth?

A photo is attached. Thank you very much!

- MacEntyre
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BrentD

Re: what value for this 1902 Marlin 1894 32-20?

Post by BrentD »

Having recently been in the market for a vintage 94, I would say that the price, from a buyer's perspective, is somewhere between very good and a steal.

But I'm no Marlin expert, I never even heard of a 94 with a 39a style of magazine tube.

Remember to ship loaded ammo separate from the rifle.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

BrentD wrote:I never even heard of a 94 with a 39a style of magazine tube.
Sorry... I've been considering a Marlin 1894CB 32 H&R magnum. Those have no loading gate.

http://marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/Cowb ... Magnum.asp
Last edited by MacEntyre on Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

thanks. Now I know something new. I've never looked at the new rifles though. Always had the itch for the old ones.

I bought a 38-40 of about the same vintage - maybe 8 yrs newer, but about the same. 24" barrel, full tube, worse exterior, but very good interior condition for $680. I was VERY happy, and still am. It shoots great!
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

BTW, a few minutes ago, I bought the old 1894 for what he's asking. ;)
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Good move! I hope it shoots as well as mine.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Here is what my "antique" 1894 recently sold for. It started at .01. The bore was near excellent.

http://gunauction.com/buy/12515999/guns ... no-reserve

If he says the "nickel" is factory I would have asked for the factory letter to prove it. Otherwise he's making assumptions. It actually looks and I may be wrong, but it appears like someone just highly polished all the case coloring off. I don't see any of the typical flaking to match the rest of the rifle.
Last edited by jdad on Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

jdad, that one was way too nice for me.

I bought this one for considerably less, but considerably less condition, esp on the exterior.
http://gunauction.com/buy/12433066/
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

BrentD wrote:jdad, that one was way too nice for me.

I bought this one for considerably less, but considerably less condition, esp on the exterior.
http://gunauction.com/buy/12433066/

A good cleaning will improve it, but you did well. Just an fyi, the front sight is on backwards. :wink:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

It got the cleaning and a bit of tuning and a few other things. Yup, I know about the sight. I swapped it off for now. A 17a is on there at the moment for competition purposes.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

jdad wrote:
If he says the "nickel" is factory I would have asked for the factory letter to prove it.
Otherwise he's making assumptions.

+1 - Ya took the words right outta my mouth. . 8)

MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

I've asked if he has a factory letter, although if he did, he likely woulda mentioned it...

Edit: No letter. Picked it up this evening... looks like it is plated because on one side there is a spot where you can see the metal underneath.

The rifle is interesting... a shooter that doesn't quite look good enough to put behind glass, but will still turn heads.

It's got a crescent butt, and nice wood. The wood is more red than shown in the picture. The heavy barrel is 24" long and the full length mag tube holds 12 rounds. I filled the mag with dummy rounds, and it cycled them like nothing. The action is good, and the lever stops just short of vertical so it's almost a short throw.

The seller was right when he described the rifling as "strong." The bore is bright, and the rifling is distinct.

The 100 year old Lyman peep sight is probably worth half the cost of the rifle! It has a filler in the peep, kinda looks like your supposed to drill it out to suit your preference. It's a little small for me, unless I move slightly closer. I suspect that this rifle is a tack driver.

Is it my imagination, or is this rear stock angle slightly lower, like a Henry? Did they make the angle less steep on modern guns so that folks could use them easier with scopes?

Anyway, it's in the safe with my 95 year old 92.

- MacEntyre