Black Hills Ammo ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Black Hills Ammo ?

Post by win38-55 »

I just bought 2 boxes of Black Hills 38-55 WCF 255 grain ammo from
Midway. I was just wondering if any one has tried this stuff and if it is any good. I usually shoot Winchester 255 grain jacketed. :?:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

win38-55,

I've never used any of their rifle ammo, but I have fired some of their .45 Colt ammo and it was quite good. I wish it were available locally, I'd buy more.
Considering the good reputation that Black Hills has I'd say the ammo would be quite good.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Their 240 grain 44 Special ammo is second to none. Accurate and fairly quiet fired from my 96 Ruger. Many porkupines have been sent into oblivion during night time forays into the Black Hills. One of these heavy bullets is all it takes.

Black Hills makes the most accurate .243 ammo I've ever tried. 95 grain Ballistic Tip has toppled 'lopes for me way past the 200 yard mark.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
DennisB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DennisB »

Black Hills Ammo is quality stuff. I've had good luck with any I've used.

Dennis.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Excellent Quality and very accurate for factory. :) SF units have used in Afghanistan & Iraq. :wink:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

I tried about 10 rounds in my then new H&R just to see if they would chamber, seemed to shoot good, I think I am doing better with my own loads. Would have tried more, but could not afford to keep feeding my gun $30+ ammo.
when your enemy is within range so are you
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Shot some of their 32 H&R cowboy ammo, but didn't get real excited about it.

Their 223 reman stuff is fantastic, and when you catch it on sale its hard to justify reloading the 223, you'll have a hard time meeting the price and the accuracy levels.
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

DennisB wrote:Black Hills Ammo is quality stuff. I've had good luck with any I've used.

Dennis.
+1 I have had good results with Black Hills
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
DavidS
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DavidS »

I have used Black Hills 38-40 ammo in my 1873 Uberti Winchester. It is accurate. My handloads so far are a little better,but not by much.
David S
Marlin336W
Levergunner

Post by Marlin336W »

This isn't a levergun, but I shoot Black Hills 55 grain SP in my .223, and it is the most accurate ammo I have shot in it.
I wouldn't see why it would be just as good for you.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The .223 is top shelf.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The only way for you to know is to shoot it in YOUR rifle! :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
SoupOrMan
Levergunner

Post by SoupOrMan »

I think I have drunk deeply of the Black Hills pre-sweetened powdered beverage. To wit:

I use their 180-grain JHPs in .40 S&W in my XD40. They're cleaner than Winchester and Blazer Brass FMJs in terms of leaving unburned powder in the barrel. Winchester FMJs have constantly left unburned powder in the barrel and Blazers might leave a little every fourth session. Black Hills ammo hasn't left any residue at all. Maybe I'm just lucky so far, but it works for me. I only fret when my local gun shop runs out of stock.

My AR normally uses 62-grain FMJs in .223 from Prvi Partizan. Cheap enough for plinking, and has decently re-usable brass. For varmint work, I found that the 60-grain Black Hills soft points are nicely accurate and stop critters right in their tracks. Again, there's a little less fouling of my AR than the Prvi Partizan, and the PP stuff doesn't leave much to begin with.

I also use Black Hills .357 Magnum 158-grain JHPs in my Puma 92 and my S&W Model 649. I like these better for my Puma than the Remington 125-grain JSPs and I like them better than the 135-grain Gold Dot Short Barrel .357s. Both weapons shoot more controllably and with less recoil with the Black Hills ammo. I chalk that up to the heavier bullet as much as anything else. My shoulder can definitely tell the difference between the hot Remington round and the Black Hills round. I have not yet had a chance to try it out as a hunting cartridge, though.

Definitely give their ammunition a try and see if your guns like it.