Questions on the Marlin "Marauder"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Questions on the Marlin "Marauder"

Post by Ray Newman »

Colleagues: going to order Brophy’s “Marlin Firearms” tome, but before it gets here, have a few questions about the Marlin “Marauder”.

From what I understand, the Marauder was only made in 1964 and should have a “Z” serial number prefix with a 16 1/4" barrel. But:

-- Is there a separate serial number range for the Marauder?
-- Any markings on the barrel to identify it as a Marauder?

A Fellow Shooter keeps telling me just to buy a previously owned 336 in .35 Remington and cut it down. But it would have a pistol grip and I would rather have the real McCoy.

Any information is appreciated….
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Re: Questions on the Marlin "Marauder"

Post by Dave »

I have a Marauder in 30-30. It's serial number starts with "Y". The barrel is marked 336RC just like any other 336 of that time.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You should have what you want to have.

Interestingly, I have a Texan that has an 18-something" barrel, sort of splitting the difference. If I got a Marauder, I'd want a .35...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Hobie: agreed on the .35 Remington.

And yes, the older I get second choice just 'does not cut it' anymore....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Serial number prefix should be W,Y, or a Z. The .30-30 accounted for approx. 66% of production and the .35 rem. for the remaining third. They are faked. 1886.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

"If" you could get by with a 30-30 one of the new 336Y's would be easy enough to convert from pistol to straight grip and it's already got a 16 1/2" barrel . I never owned a Marauder or a 336T however I kinda had thoughts of getting a couple of the 336T's from the early to mid 60's as they were all straight grip . Actually I suppose you could say I had two of the 336T guns as I had two circa 1967 336-44 rifles and the book calls them Texans also .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Ray Newman wrote:Hobie: agreed on the .35 Remington.

And yes, the older I get second choice just 'does not cut it' anymore....
It may or may not cut it but sometimes you either get by or do without .
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

gents: thanks for the additional info.

1886, a fake makes me apprehensive. I know two Shooters who paid Big Buck$ for so-called all original/stock rifles. One bought an 1886 parts rifle; the other a Trapdoor cavalry carbine made from a cut down infantry rifle.

6pt.-- I understand what you are saying, but since age 70 is getting closer and closer, I would rather not "just get by".
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

If the rifle has the previously stated, correct serial number prefix, the rear portion of the lever should be very rounded, a barrel approx. 16", and the front sight is dovetailed into the barrel behind the front barrel band.... You probably have a true Marauder. I have only seen one in "the flesh" and it was a .30-30. Marlin offered them in 1963 and 1964. A .35 is on my wish list and I certainly would not walk past a .30-30. Pretty cool little poppers. 1886.
Here is a good picture of one. http://www.gunauction.com/search/displa ... um=9667564
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Ray Newman wrote:6pt.-- I understand what you are saying, but since age 70 is getting closer and closer, I would rather not "just get by".
You should be able to get a NIB 336Y for less then $400 and the switch of the lever floor plate and the stock would be easy enough but you may have to buy another rifle swap the parts and sell the other . I had a 336Y from the original run back a few years ago and it was actually a rather nice little rifle once I put a regular stock on it with the adult length of pull . The first run of them had walnut stocks I think the present ones are some other hardwood most likely birch .
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Regarding "fakes", for several years Numrich sold kits of barrel, magazine and forearm for Marauders.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Colleagues: thanks for the information. Printed it out and added it to my "Marlin" folder.
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

There were some 5850-odd Marauder's made in those 2 years (SN prefixes were like every other Marlin made in those years - W, Y, & Z).

FWIW, it's easier to convert a PG marlin to a straight grip than visa-versa, since the lever (maybe, If you don't want to straighten one) is the only part that needs be replaced.

(A different, curved, lower tang & lever would be needed to convert a straight-gripped gun to PG.)

The Marlin 336's, whether straight or PG stocked, are all the same internally - the same tang screw length, the same distance (internally) between the upper/lower tang, the same lock parts.

Soooo, all that needs be done would be to grind & file the lower tang from a curved to a straight line, and rasp the PG off from the stock & refinish it.

TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

Usually the first giveaway of a "faked" Marauder will be the foreend. It will look too long compared to the short barrel. If you have a 16.5" barreled 336RC with a W,Y or Z prefix, rounded lever and short forend it will almost always be a Marauder. I have owned three 30-30 and one 35 Marauder. They are cool guns, but for hunting, I would rather have an early 60s Texan with the 20" barrel. It gives a better sight radius with a reciever sight and balances better in hand.