what premium for box and unfired?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

what premium for box and unfired?

Post by MacEntyre »

I want to make an offer on a 1988 Marlin 1894CL 32-20 with the original box. The seller claims that it was never fired, and it certainly looks like that is true. If I buy it, it will become a shooter, and the box will go into storage.

There are several comparable rifles that have sold on GB, so I know what the high end of the range should be. However, none of them have a box... does that really add any value to such a rifle, which is only 26 years old? (It's not an antique...it's got a cross-bolt safety!)

- MacEntyre
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: what premium for box and unfired?

Post by Mescalero »

In my experience, unscrupulous traders use it as a bargaining chip against you; it's only real value, and that is transient.
Is if you let them make it so.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I would not pay a premium for a box for a modern rifle like that. Certainly isn't a collectors item by any means. FWIW, a friend last Saturday at the Yuma AZ gunshow bought a very nice rifle just like that , no issues at all, plus dies and a bunch of brass for $700.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

If you hold onto the rifle long enough, the box does help the value. Heck, there are original gun boxes that are worth more than the guns themselves. But for a shooter, I wouldn't pay a premium. I keep all my boxes as a matter of habit - the "JIC" factor.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:If you hold onto the rifle long enough, the box does help the value. Heck, there are original gun boxes that are worth more than the guns themselves. But for a shooter, I wouldn't pay a premium. I keep all my boxes as a matter of habit - the "JIC" factor.
Yep.

I pretty much only buy 'shooters', or if I buy a 'unique' or 'collectible' one, it is because of a unique value to ME, not necessarily to others or for resale, so although I used to save lots and lots of 'boxes', I finally got tired of the
  • a) wasted space,
    b) fire hazard, and . . . most importantly . . .
    c) trail of 'evidence' for my wife to find regarding where my paycheck went, :o :oops:
I decided to toss nearly all of them out.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

An old friend has a large collection of high end Browning rifles. You know the ones with scratching and gold inlays. Still lives at home with his mother surviving. He sold one these beuties and went looking for the box, when he asked Mother she said, "oh, those old things, I burned them".
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Having the original box often makes it easier to sell. This is particularly true for major brands and the rarer pieces such as the .32-20 Marlins. People who toss or burn the boxes drive up prices for them somewhere down the road. I seldom buy a new gun, VERY seldom but do look for boxes although it might not be a deal killer. It wasn't a deal killer for my .32-20 Marlin.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

For a shooter, the box simply tells me the owner has taken care of his stuff and makes it more probable that he's the original owner like he claims. I'll give more for a gun that has everything it came from the factory with than I will for a gun a guy pulls out of a sock and that's all he has.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Guess, I'll give the reverse view. Its a limited production (few made), its a JM gun (Marlin is out of business!.. just Lemonington's now!) Prices will continue to go up and not down. Buy it now, keep the box.... enjoy it and sell it for what you bought it for (or more) when you are done with it in 20 years. I'd pay the premium for the box...... over time it will not matter you paid extra, you will get it back.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Well, because my friend says he can get me a Marlin 1894CB in 32 mag, I won't make an offer on this 32-20.

I'll just have to be satisfied with my 95 year old 92 in 32-20. ;)

- MacEntyre
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I would make sure he got an actual order confirmation when he placed his order. There's nothing, on any, of the distributor sites concerning that model and caliber.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I'm like AJMD, in my case I am just plain tired of feeding my hoarder OCD genes!

It is amazing timing as I was debating this issue with myself 2 hours ago. A couple for shipping cartons is ok but I think a bunch must go.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

jdad wrote:I would make sure he got an actual order confirmation when he placed his order. There's nothing, on any, of the distributor sites concerning that model and caliber.
Ha! That's another thread... but not to worry... I have no money down.

I did decide to make an offer. He'll let me know soon if it is accepted.

My only problem with the Marlin 1894 is the 6 round mag. I like the full length mag much better.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

If I'm buying a rifle that I will SHOOT..all that NIB stuff has ZERO meaning.
(Note: I don't buy firearms to put in the closet and NOT shoot. )
Worst trade a buddy of mine ever made was for a Browning Model 71 (the fancy one), NEW IN BOX. Poor guy felt himself hung on the horns of the dilemna whether to shoot it or not. For all intents and purposes, the rifle was useless to him, and might as well have been a porcelain vase for all the use and enjoyment he ever got out of it. After holding on to it for a couple of years without ever firing it, he decided to trade it off for something he could enjoy.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I recently traded for a gun new in the box unfired.The reason I wanted was it hadn t been fired and had all the accessories.The box meant little to me and it s a good thing because I found that the serial number on the box didn t match the gun and someone had tried by putting a false tag on it with the guns serial number to make it look like it did . Though the gun was as advertised if I had been a collector I would of been ticked.