Recent purchase

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Recent purchase

Post by carbluesnake »

Recently purchased a Ruger 44 carbine, circa 1965, with a vintage 1X Weaver mounted on it. Haven't shot it, too many other things to shoot. It looks almost new, very, very nice. Probably paid too much, $925, but it is mine.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Recent purchase

Post by Blaine »

Oh, if we had only known the future...... :cry:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Hind sight aint worth diddly is it Blaine. From what they tell Me they are picky about ammo. I would have another. U only paid too much if U think so but like U said "it's Urs.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

:D If I had hind sight I'd have stocked up on Marlin Camp 45s :D Whew.

I always liked the .44 carbines but they are one of the few Rugers I've never owned
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I have owned and shot five of them. I do not presently nor do I forsee owning another one. There is NO parts availability.
The ones I had were ok but just ok. I did kill several deer with one of them. Bang flop in both cases. The 240 grain flat nose or hollow points are deadly. I just cannot get accuracy acceptable to me from ANY .44 magnum rifle. I gave up. The 45/70 now is quite another story.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Heads would explode today, but, I was fascinated by the advertisement where the Mighty .44 Mag Ruger slayed the man-eating, murderous gorilla :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Friend of mine has one i'm trying to get my grubby little mits on. Only way I'm getting it is if I bring him a nice Marlin 444 to trade. Been keeping an eye out but can't seem to find a 444 either.
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Never had a Ruger 44 semiauto, but I bought Stan in SC's 96/44 lever action, and love it. It isn't a match-grade target gun, but it ALWAYS hits the 8" gong at 100 yards, and if I actually hold it steady, nails the tiny 4" one consistently as well (gotta use a scope for that though).

My son's Marlin 1894 isn't much more accurate, but it shoots just about ANY load (180-265 grain, several powders and charges) into a 4" circle at 50 yards (I'm talking 50-shot 'groups' of mixed ammo).

I did have a breakopen Handi-Rifle in 44 Mag that I owned just long enough to see how accurate it could be, and got a couple loads that would do 5-shot cloverleafs at 100 yards, so the cartridge IS "inherently accurate". Some folks even with handguns are getting better groups at 100 yards than I can with most rifles. (Maybe a poor reflection on my shooting skills vs. a good one on the cartridge... :oops: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:Never had a Ruger 44 semiauto, but I bought Stan in SC's 96/44 lever action, and love it. It isn't a match-grade target gun, but it ALWAYS hits the 8" gong at 100 yards, and if I actually hold it steady, nails the tiny 4" one consistently as well (gotta use a scope for that though).

My son's Marlin 1894 isn't much more accurate, but it shoots just about ANY load (180-265 grain, several powders and charges) into a 4" circle at 50 yards (I'm talking 50-shot 'groups' of mixed ammo).

I did have a breakopen Handi-Rifle in 44 Mag that I owned just long enough to see how accurate it could be, and got a couple loads that would do 5-shot cloverleafs at 100 yards, so the cartridge IS "inherently accurate". Some folks even with handguns are getting better groups at 100 yards than I can with most rifles. (Maybe a poor reflection on my shooting skills vs. a good one on the cartridge... :oops: )
I need to put my Burris SpeedDot back on the 629PP.....on a solid rest, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a deer @ 100yds if it was standing still. It was ORH at 25 yards. Shot the heads off grouse at various distances....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV