Added another AR to the stable

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Added another AR to the stable

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I bought a couple of stripped lowers in a group buy on a local gun board this past year and finally got a kit for one of them. Del-ton. Mid-length, lightweight barrel 1:9 chrome-lined with double feed ramps. Added an ergo grip, magpul trigger guard, phantom flash hider and 5 position adj stock with rubber pad added. Put a YHM rear sight on it but I've got a riser rail ordered so I can put a little Bushnell T25 red dot on it too - should co-witness with the irons that way. Dang things are addictive like lever guns!

If you want a good AR for a decent price, this is the way to go IMHO. The kit cost me a little over $500 - the lower, $115. You can get lowers for less but this one's got the forum logo on it - so kinda cool. I had the buis, red dot and tac sling already. You can select and customize your kit any way you want.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Added another AR to the stable

Post by Griff »

I've got 2 lowers and am going to build one with irons, but w a 20"HBar as a service rifle competitor. Might do the other indentically, but w/a scope for "Match" category.

I tell ya, if you ever put in a JP "Silent Captured Buffer/Spring" assy., you'll never want to go back to a std buffer & recoil spring!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I keep looking for the lever... :)
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I like lightweight barrels and simple rifles.

This is one of may favorite rifles:
That one has a Daniel Defense hammer-forged chrome-lined 1/7 lightweight 14.5" barrel.

My wife has a blue rifle built on a Cav Arms lower with the same barrel.

My 6-year-old daughter has a pink rifle built on a Cav Arms lower with a 16" lightweight Del-Ton barrel, but I think I am going to switch it out for one of the 14.5" DD barrels, since I have a bunch and no one is buying AR stuff right now.

My 9-year-old son just got one of the same barrels for Christmas to complete his AR. (My 10-year-old got a heavier match barrel, as he wants to build an SPR-type rifle, and I also have nice WOA match barrels sitting around - might as well put some to use.)

I will have to post photos sometime.

One thing I notice is that all of the gear geeks get misty-eyed over all the cool gadgets sticking to their rifles like giant barnacles on a whale, but any time they pick up a simple configuration like yours, they are always surprised by how much they like it. People with $2,000 in their ARs will pick up a basic carbine and say, "You know, I need to build one like this."

The Ergo grips don't work well for me (hurt the wrist when I am carrying the rifle for several hours or really running it) and I don't care for the add-on buttpads, though I do like rubber buttpads on my rifles. I run these buttstocks:
http://www.7-62precision.com/m4-ar-15-s ... r-buttpad/
http://www.7-62precision.com/recoil-red ... -15-stock/
http://www.7-62precision.com/m4-ar-15-s ... e-carrier/
One of the reasons is for the rubber buttpads. The way I run a rifle for counter-terror/self-defense use, I get a bruise on my chest even with the rubber pad. Without, I beat myself up pretty good, being a skinny guy.

I like standard front sight towers. They are tough, don't have to be flipped up, and whatever anyone says, they don't get in the way of optics.

If you get an optic, think about going with a full-sized optic. The optimum size for a reflex aperture is around 30mm or so for a fighting carbine. Once you put a riser under the smaller sight, it is really no shorter than a full-sized reflex sight. The micro-sized optics reduce some of the advantages that you get from a red-dot sight.

You can get lowers for less that are totally out of spec, too, so $115 is not too much to pay for one that is right and has a logo you like.

Midlength is nice. It keeps the 16" barrel from looking too long, and keeps the pressures down in the action.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

O.S.O.K. wrote:I bought a couple of stripped lowers in a group buy on a local gun board this past year and finally got a kit for one of them. Del-ton. Mid-length, lightweight barrel 1:9 chrome-lined with double feed ramps. Added an ergo grip, magpul trigger guard, phantom flash hider and 5 position adj stock with rubber pad added. Put a YHM rear sight on it but I've got a riser rail ordered so I can put a little Bushnell T25 red dot on it too - should co-witness with the irons that way. Dang things are addictive like lever guns!

If you want a good AR for a decent price, this is the way to go IMHO. The kit cost me a little over $500 - the lower, $115. You can get lowers for less but this one's got the forum logo on it - so kinda cool. I had the buis, red dot and tac sling already. You can select and customize your kit any way you want.

Love it, Congrats friend! :wink:
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

For your CAR guys, get one of these:

Instead of having the sling run out to the end of the barrel, run it from the butt stock end to this adapter, which screws on just aft of the receiver.

This creates a short loop but for me it's easier to maneuver about with the weapon. Once adjusted, you can carry with muzzle down, then to go to firing position just grab the handgrip, put the buttstock in your shoulder and you're ready to go.

To transition to pistol just drop the weapon and draw.

Full disclosure, image shamelessly stolen from Brownells, who I *highly* recommend as a source to buy these, in many different varieties.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

OSOK ! Is that BU rear too short for the standard sight ?
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

On an aside note, after all the anti-gun/mag cap limitation laws here in Colorado, looks like Magpul is backing up their promise to leave the state. Just saw on TV they are moving their manufacturing to Cheyenne, WY , with headquarters in Texas.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

pwl44m wrote:OSOK ! Is that BU rear too short for the standard sight ?
Perry
No it's perfect.

And I too am anti-stuff-hanging-off-of-your-AR or any "combat carbine" for that matter.

All of mine are pretty kiss.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

For a little over 6 c-notes, you got yourself a real deal fighting machine. Not bad thinking as it sure beats what guys have been paying for the last couple of years. Yea, they did come down a bit but a no frills Colt will still run 12.

Have you given it a workout yet?

I can't get addicted to AR's like I can Winchesters and Colts. I look at them as a utility gun......a fun gun to play with and great machine to be hanging down your side when this long awaited apocalypse hits us. My son is like many AR guys, having them in multiple calibers and configurations. I'm somewhat happy with one but I do have my eye on one of the new Colt 901's in 308.

Colt LE6940----this shoots 69 gr Sierra Matchkings as well as my heavy barreled 700 Remington Varminter in 22-250. No clay bird is safe out to 500 meters. With the Nikon 223 scope, I can dial it in real fast between the different distances. 2,000 rounds and still no hiccups. That's dependable.----6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I'm sort of the opposite, I don't oppose hanging stuff on the gun, as long as it has a reason to be there.

I've run a completely bone stock M16A2, and I've also had an M4 with an Aimpoint, PEQ-2, M203, quadrant and leaf sights for the M203, backup sights, and a Surefire in an offset LaRue mount.

And I used all of those accessories.

Most people though, optic, light, sling is about all you need.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

MrMurphy wrote:I'm sort of the opposite, I don't oppose hanging stuff on the gun, as long as it has a reason to be there.
I agree. Keep it simple, but with what you need. Optics, lights, lasers, these are all useful things. The rifle that sits by my bed has a reflex sight, light, backup sight, and an extra magazine in the stock.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

wecsoger wrote:For your CAR guys, get one of these:
I prefer the more compact style, so it does not stick out so far from the weapon:
http://www.7-62precision.com/ar15-m4-du ... idextrous/

I put one on almost every carbine I have, since I like a single-point sling. I run the sling only to the end plate, and not to the stock.

Here is the sling I prefer: http://www.savvysniper.com/quadsling.html The guy who builds them is a great guy and an LE sniper. He gave a pink one to my daughter and made her year. I need to get a couple more from them. They are really well-designed slings.

If I don't want to mess with the end plate, then I run this stock: http://www.7-62precision.com/m4-ar-15-s ... r-buttpad/
A single-point sling can be attached to the front of the stock.
Familyguy
Levergunner

Post by Familyguy »

I've had a "utility" AR since I was a teenager. I'm not quite sure why, but I've recently gotten the urge to build a .308 variant. I'm planning to start with an 80% lower and do the final machining myself on my mini-mill and will likely pick up the barrel, bolt, carrier, and upper from JP Rifles. This is likely to turn into a $1200-1500 affair, but I didn't want to skimp on the parts quality and I'm hoping to achieve .75-1.0 MOA with it at 100yds. I'll still use my trusty 94 for deer season though. :)
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I can't stand singlepoints, personal experience. I use a VTAC.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Sixgun, no, I haven't even shot it yet. Waiting for deer season to end - my range is in the middle of my deer hunting :)

And speaking of "multi caliber", I have one more stripped lower that I'll probably use for a 6.5 Grendel build. That's just a cool caliber and perfect for deer hunting. Not that I need another deer gun.... but hey.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

MrMurphy wrote:I can't stand singlepoints, personal experience. I use a VTAC.
I used 3-points a lot because they were issued to me, but I don't prefer them, if they are simply a 3-point sling. A lot of movement is restricted and we were moving in and out of vehicles, through buildings and stuff, dealing with people, ect., very quickly.

I am fine with a 3-point sling that transitions quickly to a single-point, though. The three-point slings keep the rifle more securely in place on the body than other slings, which is good sometimes, but not others.

I use two-point and single-point slings the same (for a fighting carbine - I use shooting slings differently, of course). Both give more mobility than the 3-point slings, but also let the weapon swing around a lot more, so it has to be controlled with a hand sometimes.

The sling in the photo I posted above is a three-point/two-point/one-point sling, attached as a two-point, that I use the same way as I use a single-point sling in how the weapon is handled.

I like the Savvy Sniper slings the best because they are instantly adjustable, so if I need to drop the rifle, I can just slide the sling tight, or slide it loose when I need to. It is a huge improvement over most single-point slings. They also transition to two-point slings just as easily.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Familyguy wrote:I'm not quite sure why, but I've recently gotten the urge to build a .308 variant.
This is likely to turn into a $1200-1500 affair, but I didn't want to skimp on the parts quality and I'm hoping to achieve .75-1.0 MOA with it at 100yds.
I have one .308-sized AR in .260 Rem., and I like it, but I have a hard time getting excited about most .308 ARs. The extra weight and poorer balance of most turns me off. For me, a 6.5 Grendel in a 5.56-sized AR makes a lot of sense. The .260 as a 14 lb. heavy-barreled long-range rifle is OK, but I can do almost the same with a 6.5 Grendel with less weight, and I like both over a .308, anyway.

Don't think that you need to spend too much unless you really want to. Concentrate on the barrel and spend your money there. You should have no problem getting .5 to .75 MOA from a decent barrel on that build. Even better if things work out right.

How will you finish the lower? Are you going to try to have someone anodize, or do a coating? If you need parts, let me know, as I have some .308 parts and can help you out with some leverguns pricing if you don't tell anyone the price. And don't tell my wife - she prefers to make a profit from time to time. (Just kidding, I tell her everything, of course.)
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

I'm -this- close to caving and buying an AR as well. Got my eye on a Mossberg MMR tactical. Have seen them as low as $550 shipped, though not at the moment. So many guns, so little funds, sigh :p

...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Good to see your still kicking O.S.O.K ! Boy are you right about these things being addicting! This is my Colt 6920 I picked up a few months back. It was my first carbine length gas gun and I just couldn't wrap my long arm up enough to get comfortable with it. So out came the hack saw and files and away went the front sight post. I really like the 13" Troy Alpha, I have one on my varmint AR also.

Ricky

DWWC
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm the first one to admire a good fighting rifle, but, since I currently live in WA, I won't buy something that will put me under the microscope....and that could be this year. :evil: Around these parts, even the threaded muzzle, and flash guard on my Ruger Gun Site Scout might be in trouble. :evil: Same with my 870 Tactical. :( Praying for the '14 elections to have a favorable outcome.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Panzercat wrote:I'm -this- close to caving and buying an AR as well. Got my eye on a Mossberg MMR tactical. Have seen them as low as $550 shipped, though not at the moment. So many guns, so little funds, sigh :p
I might lean away from the MMR a bit. There are other options that are not to expensive. Lately the poor quality of AR parts and rifles have made me more particular. I don't think the Freedom Group has done well with DPMS, for example.

PM or email me and I can offer some advice if you like.
Last edited by 7.62 Precision on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I used 3 points when they were issued. Except for shooting, single points are fairly useless except as a leash, which nearly led to some unintended casualties among my guys when the gun got dropped and some training 'casualties' nearly became real ones from head trauma.

The VTAC, VCAS and a few others are 2 point quick-adjust slings, you can crank them down or loosen them up near instantly, and for working in/out of vehicles and buildings, patrolling, etc I find them to be unmatched. The 1/2 point sling designs, like MagPul's MS series, do have uses, but overall I stick with what I know works.

The VCAS from Blue Force Gear is actually the only authorized USMC rifle sling for the M16 and M4 now I believe.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

You should try one of the Savvy Sniper slings.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

7.62 Precision wrote:
wecsoger wrote:For your CAR guys, get one of these:
I prefer the more compact style, so it does not stick out so far from the weapon:
http://www.7-62precision.com/ar15-m4-du ... idextrous/

I put one on almost every carbine I have, since I like a single-point sling. I run the sling only to the end plate, and not to the stock.

Here is the sling I prefer: http://www.savvysniper.com/quadsling.html The guy who builds them is a great guy and an LE sniper. He gave a pink one to my daughter and made her year. I need to get a couple more from them. They are really well-designed slings.

If I don't want to mess with the end plate, then I run this stock: http://www.7-62precision.com/m4-ar-15-s ... r-buttpad/
A single-point sling can be attached to the front of the stock.

That looks pretty good. I like a 2 point on my M1A Scout. I have a Magpul clip in attachment on my Ultimak for the front. For the rear I put a M14 front sling attachment (slightly modified) behind the buttplate on a GI synthetic stock. It's kind of like an M60 rear attachment. This works very well in balancing and weight distribution.
When the rifle is in my folder I use the same front and attach at the wrist for the rear.
I think the HK clip in type hooks would work well for me.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.