New Henry Golden Boy 22 Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

New Henry Golden Boy 22 Question

Post by geobru »

I checked out a new Henry Golden Boy at a local shop before Christmas. It had an octagon barrel and the typical smooth Henry action. This gun appears to be based on an 1873? Winchester. The receiver is longer than the blued H0001 rifles.

When I shouldered the rifle, I noticed that there is not a good cheek weld to the rifle because the comb is too low. I'm not sure if the drop is messed up on that particular rifle or what. Have any of you noticed this? This was enough to turn me away from buying this rifle.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Re: New Henry Golden Boy 22 Question

Post by Hagler »

geobru,

The "Golden Boy" does not share everything with the other Henry lever action rimfre rifles, even though the guts are, essentially, the same. This picture shows that the Golden Boy has a more severe stock drop, than the non-Golden rifles:

Also, the Golden Boy has longer tangs, and the wrist area is another point of difference. The buttstocks are not interchangeable, with non-Golden Boy parts, and Golden Boy receiver covers will not fit the H001-series rifles.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

That is what I thought. In order to look through a scope mounted on that rifle, it seems to me anyway that you have to crane your neck to see through the scope! Zero cheek weld!

Do the older Winchesters (1873, 1876, 1866) have a higher comb than the 86's and newer? I'm wondering if Henry copied the old design or "improved" it?
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Henry didn't copy anything from the original "Winchesters".
They look similar on the outside & use receiver covers that are intended to be reminiscent of the appearance of the older designs, but otherwise they're quite different.

I've never had a problem with cheekweld in any of the Golden Boys or the Frontier model I worked with a couple weeks ago, with iron sights.
I don't scope leverguns, so can't comment on that aspect, beyond saying they were set up assuming the great majority would not be glassing them.
Denis
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I have a Golden Boy and it is a sweetheart of a smooth rifle, BUT, the drop is too much. I have let several people shoot mine and pointed out the drop and told them to really consider that. Some have purchased the Golden Boy, another a Frontier model and others have gone looking for a 39.
flightsimmer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by flightsimmer »

While on the subject of Henry rifles, a fellow brought back two Henry lever action .22's that he had purchased from the store where I work for his daughters for Christmas and neither one of them would feed any brand of .22LR ammo the store had in stock, hard to believe. So all we could do was to have him contact Henry Repeating Arms for a solution to the problem.
I would not have believed it had I not seen t for myself.
10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.
If possible, so much as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Rom 12:18