What are you shavin with?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

What are you shavin with?

Post by JReed »

Bored deployment question. Since the only gun I have dealings with as of late is an M9.

On this deployment I have taken up the fine art of using a straight razor for my daily shaving needs. Using a brush, soap and a straight has turned into being a relaxing experience (not to mention less skin irritation).

So for those that dont endulge in chin whiskers what are you shaving with?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What are you shavin with?

Post by pwl44m »

I got a new Mach 3 for Christmas.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I used an electric shaver for years but a few years back I reverted to a regular razor and find that I get a much better shave.
For Christmas I got a brush and some cup soap so that is what I am using right now.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Stan you should check out the Badger and Blade site. But be fore warned they will have you wanting to get a DE safety razor to go with your soap and brush :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Have not shaved since the second week of November.
NRA Life Member
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Jeremy you are so right. I started looking at the badger and brush site a few years back and started using a DE razor. Been using one ever since. So has Jr, he uses one for shaving his head as well.

I don't use fancy soap for shaving, just the leftover scraps of Dial from the shower. They fit in my mug just fine. I have done business with Atlanta Barber Supply, in fact when I bought my DE I was passing thru Atlanta so I stopped at their store to pick it up. They are really nice people.

BTW, I didn't know you were deployed. How long before you're home?
Last edited by Rusty on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I used to use a cut throat (straight) razor but now I use an electric one, not as good a shave but a darn sight quicker :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Rusty
been out here since June will be home in less then a month. You should also look at StraightRazorPlace bunch of shave nuts there as well. Lol

Boregos
yes an electric is a darn bit faster. i still use my norelco when I am in a hurry. But the straight leaves me baby butt smooth.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Gillette Fusion gives an awesomely smooth shave; and Gillette Mach 3 is my backup.

Bob in Friday Harbor
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I must confess I don't enjoy shaving. I have a beard, but keep the edges tuned up daily. I use a triple edge plastic shaver and do it right after getting out of the bath. No soap, just go at it. It's fine in the first few minutes before it dries out. Done in very short order.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

All I shave is my head....With a Mach III.....I have three or four pre-WWII straight razors, but, do not feel comfortable with them :shock: :o
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Malamute wrote:I must confess I don't enjoy shaving. .
Me neither -- but I enjoy being clean shaven (so quite a paradox) --- I just use a Mach 3 Gillette , -- spare blades are kind of spendy for the darn thing though
----- Doug
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

TedH wrote:Have not shaved since the second week of November.
Same here - I think it was November, 1980... :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

A small chainsaw, followed up with a belt sander & then a lick with a Shick .........Quattro......... :mrgreen:

Last edited by Pete44ru on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Straight.
For Christmas my son gave me a gift certificate to have Lynn Abrams sharpen one of my blades. I've only shaved with my own edge so I'm looking forward to trying one of Lynn's edges on my razor.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Gillette Fusion with a Gillette Sensor on standby !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had a Colombian girlfriend awhile back . She owned a hair shop and when I visited she would cut my hair and shave me . She shaved with a straight razor and only used water ! That kinda bothered me a woman with a straight razor against my throat .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

6pt-sika wrote:I had a Colombian girlfriend awhile back . She owned a hair shop and when I visited she would cut my hair and shave me . She shaved with a straight razor and only used water ! That kinda bothered me a woman with a straight razor against my throat .

Not at all hard to stay faithful to a woman like that... or you could end up with a Colombian necktie.

These have gone up since I bought mine for $19. http://stores.atlantabarber.com/-strse- ... Detail.bok

You can always look around at yard sales and flea markets for a used Gillette which is just as good. Then blades will run you $.13 each. I'm still on the gross I bought several years back when I paid $.10
each.

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

TedH wrote:Have not shaved since the second week of November.
A good picture Ted posted on Facebook yesterday 8)
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

The regular shaving soap you get from Walmart really isn't that bad. Can't think of the brand, comes from company in TX. Got some Col. Conk Bay Rum soap too, along with a brush.

Straight razor. You get points for using, but I would guess you don't drink much coffee? (grin)

Been meaning to watch the yard sales for the old classic single blade safety razors.

Badger and Blade is a great website. Go here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forum.php
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Jeremy, I still have and use once in a while the Badger brush I bought with my shave kit at Fort LeonardWood in July of 1958. The two brushes from my shine kit still do a good job on my Nocona boots.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I HATE shaving but my wife HATES beards. :x :roll:

ImageImage
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I've tried many different razors. Starting with double edged, single edged and just before I went into the service a Trac II. The Trac II was the first multi-blade disposable. I used it for years then the profusion of triple, quadruple and now even quintuple disposable blades have come about.

Interesting that the Sensor with it's two blades doesn't give anywhere near as good a shave as the original Trac II. I think the Sensor is sort of the budget line (still ridiculous in cost when you look at what making a blade costs). For the last several years I've used the Mach 3 or the Mach 3 Turbo (which ever I find or the wife buys).

I've tried the Fusion and several others that have come out since the Mach 3, but none give me as good a shave. However, I do find it interesting that we've been at 5 blades for a bit. I wonder when someone will come out with the vaunted 10 blade model (though you'll likely need a small boy to help hold it up to shave).

Years ago, I tried a straight razor. Discretion being the better part of valor, I finally gave up and I only have a few scars left. Seriously, I must have done it wrong because I really did look like I'd just had a fight with a wild cat when I finished shaving with one.

But, here's something I've wondered about. This is the 21st century. Yet we are still taking a blade to our faces to remove facial hair like we've done for many centuries. Sure there have been some small improvements, but when is someone going to invent a way to remove facial hair, that isn't permanent like lasers, quickly, cleanly and painlessly?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Word:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Like our friend Ji , I use the yellow Bic disposables and have been for at least 30 years. :wink:
SPROCKET
Levergunner

Post by SPROCKET »

Merkur safety razor; shaves better than any modern fancy razor I've ever tried. It's also pleases my sense of aesthetics. It's made of chromed steel in Germany, not plastic pooped out of a machine in China.

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I have a half-dozen German straight razors, from various manufacturers, a couple Wilkinsons, and a Swedish model... i use a few of them regularly, and can't tell much real difference between them.. For a quick trim, I have a Shick Quattro that shaves almost as close, but requires more agility on my part.. Electric shavers tend to whip the ends of my whiskers to a frayed frazzle, without doing much to remove them.. I've tried, Norelcos, Brauns, Remingtons, &c., with fairly predictable results..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I have fine hair and sensitive skin, various electrics never got the job done.

Swapped to Mach III's for years, couple years back on advice of a lady friend (just a friend....) found Badger and Blade. Went with a Merkur 38, a 100 pack of blades and some Taylor of Old Bond Street sandalwood shaving soap and a badger brush.

2.5 years later, gone through about 130 blades and two soaps, still shaving fine, and a better shave than a Mach III, for less. Doesn't take me any longer either.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

JR,

I was never THAT bored on deployment ...... and never man enough for a straight razor !!

these days I like this one, smoothest shave I've ever experienced, it uses 5 blades in the insert .... simply amazing.

Some interesting reading: http://straightrazorplace.com/

Cheers,

Carl
retired Navy Seabee
Last edited by new pig hunter on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I normally use a Gillette Mach 3 or similar, but like someone said, the refills are pricey.
Got hurt at work 3 months ago and haven't completely shaved since :D Wife is getting irritated.
I recently acquired 3 or 4 German straight razors that used to belong to my grandfather who was a barber and passed away in 1982. I'm tempted to learn to shave with them but haven't gotten brave enough :oops:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

vancelw wrote:I normally use a Gillette Mach 3 or similar, but like someone said, the refills are pricey.
Got hurt at work 3 months ago and haven't completely shaved since :D Wife is getting irritated.
I recently acquired 3 or 4 German straight razors that used to belong to my grandfather who was a barber and passed away in 1982. I'm tempted to learn to shave with them but haven't gotten brave enough :oops:
I suggest you send one to Lynn Abrams at straightrazordesigns.com to sharpen. Buy a soap by Mike. Buy a good used strop on ebay( new ones need broken in) and give it a try. You can get a brush later.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Tycer wrote:
vancelw wrote:I normally use a Gillette Mach 3 or similar, but like someone said, the refills are pricey.
I suggest you send one to Lynn Abrams at straightrazordesigns.com to sharpen. Buy a soap by Mike. Buy a good used strop on ebay( new ones need broken in) and give it a try. You can get a brush later.
Yep Lynn gets top reviews as a honemeister. He even shaves tests them to ensure shave quality.

Blaine I could find a good home for them... :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

How long are you guys using your disposables before you toss them?

Was thinking about the cost savings of the safety razors someone brought up. I tend to use my 3 blade disposable for 3-5 months before they get too grabby. I only shave the edges of the beard daily, and the neck about once a week. I think a package of 3-4 razors lasts about a year or so. Its long enough I cant remember by the time I need more.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Malamute wrote:How long are you guys using your disposables before you toss them?

Was thinking about the cost savings of the safety razors someone brought up. I tend to use my 3 blade disposable for 3-5 months before they get too grabby. I only shave the edges of the beard daily, and the neck about once a week. I think a package of 3-4 razors lasts about a year or so. Its long enough I cant remember by the time I need more.
About 2 weeks for me ---- but...... I'm also a competitive amateur cyclist , its more than my face that i be shavin'

These multi blade units that strive for a smooth shave stack the blades together so close that mine get clogged with dead skin cells and super fine hair before the blades lose all their sharpness i think
----- Doug
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

new pig hunter wrote:JR,

I was never THAT bored on deployment ...... and never man enough for a straight razor !!
He's not bored enough. BORED is sharpening, then learning to shave with, your bayonet...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I can get 5 days out of a half blade in my shavette. Those are full face 3 pass shaves. I get about 4 out of a plastic disposible doing the same
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I pitch one of the Bic disposables after about 5-6 shaves.
They are very inexpensive at the local Bi-Mart. :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Edge Gel and a Gillette Fusion. I make sure to run water through the blades after each pass, use a strop made from a piece of leather that I rub some jewelers rouge (welding supplies at Lowe's) on before the stropping, and get 4 to 5 months out of it using it daily. After that, it gets a little worn down. I remove the little lubricant pads before stropping as they mess up the leather. I buy a 4 pack of blades at least once every 2 years.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Streetstar wrote:
These multi blade units that strive for a smooth shave stack the blades together so close that mine get clogged with dead skin cells and super fine hair before the blades lose all their sharpness i think
Mine get loaded up with hair, I run hot water on them and smack them on the sink to clear it out.

Old Ironsights wrote: He's not bored enough. BORED is sharpening, then learning to shave with, your bayonet...
I've shaved with a Gerber skinning knife before. Used a straight razor some also. Both were dry. It works, but takes work.

jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

To me it's more where than what used, I shave daily in the shower, great way to go. When I travel and have to shave over the sink I make a heck of a mess. :D
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Has the military been permitting use of straight razors very long? Everybody in my family uses a straight razor because dad did. Everyone, army, usmc, navy has commented at one time or another, they were forbidden to possess straight razors.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Bic flex 3

i dry shave and right after use with a hand towel wipe heads blades clean side to side then blow one good blow. They each last about a month
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Old Ironsights wrote:
new pig hunter wrote:JR,

He's not bored enough. BORED is sharpening, then learning to shave with, your bayonet...
LOL.

Bored starts with the attempt to get some cheap azz bayonet sharp (enough), goes to test "shaving" a section of an arm or leg, moves to second stage testing on the subject mug, and ends when presented (and rejected) at inspection.

I recall witnessing a critical appraisal of such an experiment at a Monday morning formation / inspection.

The Gunny pausing, performing his left face and looking with that bored expression at Marines to the right and then the left, and then centering on his victim. It started with a thousand-yard stare that gave the impression that the man was invisible, and then snapped into focus, like he was interrupting the Gunny's day. The Gunny's eyes narrowed, his head tilted slightly to the right with his lips curled back over his coffee stained teeth as he hissed (in a tone just exactly loud enough for the entire company to hear...):

"Did you shave with a f****** brick?"

No need to descibe what happened next. Needless to say that there were lingering questions as to whether or not it was worth it.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Gillette Mach 3 and whatever cheap cream is in the red can. About every other day when I'm on the road, and whenever the wife complains about the stubble. Blades last ~4 mos.

Frank, I remember my 1st inspection in boot camp. The DI looked at me and asked if I'd shaved that morning. I said no. He asked when was the last time. I said there hasn't been a first time yet.

100 pushups later I was experiencing the first time! :lol: :lol: Still hate shaving.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Electric razor. Tried the blade thing, but neck ended up irritated and bloody. Baby soft skin, combined with tough as wire beard wasn't a good combo. First Norelco razor lasted about 30 years, then my newish bride decided to shave her legs with it. Wasn't the same after that. She loved it on her legs, but lost the charger on a trip.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

One thing I've found that keeps my blades sharp longer it to store the razor in a jar of alcohol. I started doing that years ago when I was using the Bic disposables. I found that storing them that way seems to cause the blade to stay sharp longer.

JoeArizona
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JoeArizona »

Check this out...fantastic "guy" Web site:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/01/0 ... ur-grandpa
Joe

---

Peter's Laws - Rule #7, "If you can't beat them, join them, then beat them."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:Gillette Mach 3 and whatever cheap cream is in the red can. About every other day when I'm on the road, and whenever the wife complains about the stubble. Blades last ~4 mos.

Frank, I remember my 1st inspection in boot camp. The DI looked at me and asked if I'd shaved that morning. I said no. He asked when was the last time. I said there hasn't been a first time yet.

100 pushups later I was experiencing the first time! :lol: :lol: Still hate shaving.
:lol: I think our DI had the same plastic razor in his pocket for about five years.....you better shave so he liked it, or you dry shaved with his pocket razor :?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Anything my wife hasn't used on her legs. Do you know that a razor blade placed under a pyramid will never go dull? :wink: