Used Marlin 39_?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Used Marlin 39_?

Post by claybob86 »

Saw a Marlin 39 in a little gun shop that has a slim uncheckered fore end and stock and a black trigger. Looks like an older one, but don't know when it might have been made. The condition is used, definitely shows signs of plenty of use, but it's not rusty or abused looking. Haven't seen the bore. Guy wants $350 for it. If the bore's good, is that a good price?
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I'm no expert. Only you can say for sure what it's worth to you, but it's very good price for an early used one in good shape. The shape of the forend and black trigger pushes it back to at least to before 1960. They usually have gold triggers after.

Was it a 39 or a 39A? If it was a 39, it was produced from 1922-1938, a HS prefix(for High Speed ammo) was added later in production. The 39A was produced starting in 1938-1940 in both blue and casehardened receivers(cased receiver adds a BUNCH to the price) then it starts to branch off a bit with different numbers and letters on them so it's hard to say after that.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I have not seen a decent one for less the $400 in a while. I dont think you would get hurt at 350 unless she's shot out... make an offer anyway.

Relining a classic .22 is pretty cheap for the value.

Jeff
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

All Model 39's had an octagon barrel and "S" shaped stock. They were made from 1922-1938, early ones had no "letter" prefix, 2nd variation had an "S" prefix, and from 1932 until the end of production they had an "HS" prefix.

The first variation 39A (1939) looked like a Model 39 from the receiver back, but had a different fore-arm and round barrel. Pre-WW2 39A's, both the first, no letter prefix, and 2nd "B" prefix variations, had case colored receivers.

If it looked like this, then it was a Model 39 (NO "A"). The original front sight on the early ones was an ivory bead that changed to a silver bead in 1935. This has a Lyman combo for a front sight. $350 is a VERY GOOD price if it is a Model 39 and still good for a 39A.

claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Thanks for the info, guys. I didn't look at it quite as close as I might have, because I was thinking I couldn't afford it anyway. But it's eating at me. :twisted: Gonna take another look next week... :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?