.357 Mag Rifle for Deer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shaman
Levergunner

.357 Mag Rifle for Deer

Post by shaman »

Greetings from a long-time lurker and a first-time poster. I have come into a 357 Mag Marlin Lever Rifle, and I'm very intrigued by it.

Since early fall, I have been carrying it whenever I get away from the house to ward off the critters. I figure 158 grain hardcast SWC will do a nice job on a coyote. Now I'm thinking what it will take to make it a deer rifle.

I don't want to push the envelope. I don't mean to try to make it into a 30-06, but I figure with the proper loads it should be able to take a deer out to 80 yards.

What are y'all's recommendations?

Funny, I was looking at this thing with dark thoughts about turkeys. It's a shame KY does not allow rifles for turkeys. I figure a light 38 special target load would be awesome on a gobbler in the spring. It always galls me that I have to take out a shotgun that has all the recoil of an elephant gun just to shoot a dang 20lb bird. Oh well (sigh!)
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, Kentucky
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .357 Mag Rifle for Deer

Post by Mescalero »

When I was young,N.M. allowed .22Mag for turkey.
I always looked forward to that hunt.
Then some moron made it shotgun only, have not done it since.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

>> It always galls me that I have to take out a shotgun that has all the recoil of an elephant gun just to shoot a dang 20lb bird. Oh well (sigh!)

So, do what I do. Most of my turkey hunting is in fairly dense woods with shots not exceeding 25 yards. My granddaddy's old Winchester Model 42 .410 does a stellar job for me.
shaman
Levergunner

Post by shaman »

Ah! But KY also does not allow .410 for turkey. (Sigh!)

So, how do I turn this thing into a viable deer rifle?
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Just about any stoutly constructed 158 gr. bullet will do for deer. Many others here, myself included, prefer a wide flat nose hard cast bullet of 180 grains. Excellent short range deer getter.
NRA Life Member
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Oh by the way, welcome to the group! :D
NRA Life Member
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I prefer a 158gr JSP for deer. I seldom use .357 and prefer .44 mag or .45 Colt in my pistol cartridge guns, but it can get the job done if you are familiar with your rifle and stay within it's limitations.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
castcat
Levergunner

Post by castcat »

have taken deer with 94 trapper 16" barrel using lil' gun mag primer and rem 158 grain jacketed soft point not hollow point getting 1900 fps from that gun
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

I've shot quite a few with the 357 in a Marlin lever gun. My favorite load was with 296 powder using a Hornady XTP 158g HP. I've killed deer out to 100yds with no problem and got a couple further than that with no problem. Deer just aren't that hard to kill. Shot placement trumps muzzle energy every time.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

180gr Buffalo Bore hardcast is deadly on midwest whitetails out to 100yds...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Welcome Shaman. Do you have a Marlin or a '92 clone?

Both will work just fine. Stick with 158 or 180 gr and you'll do fine.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I've killed several deer with a 357 rifle. Like mentioned above, they're not that hard to kill if you do your part.

I've got a cousin who killed 2 or 3 deer a year with her Marlin 1894 in 357 Mag using cheap factory 125gr JSPs. A couple of weeks ago, Mrs Willy got a nice 5 point buck with my Navy Arms 1892 in 357 Mag using my handloads of a 145gr Winchester Silvertip in front of a middling load of H110. It was her first deer. She's put the claim on my rifle now.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to THE Forum.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
shaman
Levergunner

Post by shaman »

Thanks all for the welcome. As I said, I've been here for years, quietly lurking and enjoying things. This is just the first time I've been moved to ask a question.

BTW: It's a Marlin Lever. My deer hunting buddy was lightening his load in preparation for a move, and I'd always thought a 357 Mag rifle would be handy to have. I had not really thought about it as a deer rifle until one day I was out pre-season scouting with my son, Angus, and we had the rifle along in case one of the coyotes or feral dogs showed up-- they've been a problem lately. Angus asked me what would happen if the CO showed up-- would he cite us for hunting deer out of season. I said that I didn't think so. He then asked me if the rifle would be useful for deer. That's what got me to thinking.

I added my signature line to my profile. Y'all are welcome anytime. The link goes to my weblog. I'm on the pro-staff for Deer and Deer Hunting and Turkey and Turkey Hunting, and I frequently post my ramblings up there. Some of y'all may know me from 24HourCampfire. I'm that shaman.

As to lever guns in general, I have a few, and I really like them. My GoTo deer rifle is a Savage 99 in 308 WIN that I download to 300 Savage levels. I've carried it on the Opener since 2003, it has only taken bucks, and mostly big bucks at close range. I've taken my camp's #1, #3, and #4 bucks with it, so it's kind of my lucky charm.

I also have a Marlin 336 in 30-30. Frankly I haven't had quite as good luck with it-- had some strange results early on. That was our family Yute Rifle for many years-- both my sons started deer hunting with it. I've got a bunch of stories on it and the other rifles on the website.

44-40 Willy has it right: Whitetails are not that hard to kill. Hunting them can be devilishly hard, but the killing's easy.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Welcome
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Welcome. I agree that your piece would make and excellent turkey/deer combo. The BB 180 hardcasts mentioned above should handle any North American game out to 100 yards. Unfortunatley PENNA. doesn't allow the .357 for turkey :cry:
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Welcome to a great forum. My gunsmith's young son has taken several deer with a Rossi single shot rifle in .357 mag. His son is small so he loads the Remington soft lead hollow point in 38spl cases with the +P load for him.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I have shot quite a few deer with it. All under 50 yards, 180gr Fed hollow point.
I would bet the buffalo bore 180 would do the trick as well.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Welcome. Although I own several .357 mag. rifles I have yet to hunt with any of them.
Others say they will do the job and I believe them. Hit em where it counts and within a range you can put the bullet there 100% of the time. :wink:
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Welcome sir to the forum. Lots of good information from extremely knowledgeable people here. Sit by the fire and git yerself warmed :)
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
1894c

Post by 1894c »

HELLO... :)
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Welcome to the forum. As others have already said the 357 will do fine for deer. I may be mistaken but I believe that Veral Smith's wife has used her 357 Magnum rifle on elk with success.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

110 yds, stepped-off. Deer on the run from being busted out of bed. (You can see the deer just between the front tire & my FiL...)

The Bullet:
The Damage:

I think the .357 will do just fine. :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
shaman
Levergunner

Post by shaman »

That was your 180 grain Buffalo Bullet that did that?

Sir, you have my attention.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

There isnt a animal in NA that hasnt been dropped with a 357 in a handgun with 158 & 173 gr cast bullets so I'd say a 357 in a rifle might have the edge over a handgun. A 158-160 will hammer a deer if you are going after larger game use a heavier bullet and adjust the alloy to suit the job. danny
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Bug Sky,
What's the load you carry in your Ruger?
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

shaman wrote:That was your 180 grain Buffalo Bullet that did that?

Yep. Looks like he hit the foreleg on the on side. Those flat point bullets will send bone frags in a very wide dispersal under the hide if you hit a leg first. If you don't pick up bone on the way, you can eat right up to the hole on cast.

This is was a flat point. Frontal, this is where it entered the ham from the body cavity after passing through the heart and everything else. I've not shot a front-on shot on a deer since this one. yuk. Other than the rumen stains, notice how clean the hole is. Looks like someone pushed a 5/8" needle all the way through the animal. Those 357s do work just fine on deer.

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

another. On-side in the first pic, off-side in the second.

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Mescal I use 180 wfn for brownie defense up close 2400 or lilgun for 1300 fps out of a ruger 3". For hunting I would use a 158 or 173 keith SWC as they are more accurate at distance than a wfn just adjust the alloy to suit the game your after. danny
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I knew you carried the 3' for the up close, just curious on the load.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Mescal this is the belly gun I carry in a crossdraw or chestdraw holster when rifle hunting, I can work on chores or break down game and pack meat and not worry about having a rifle at hand all the time and its handy. danny
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

What model is that.
I bought myself a 629 .44Mag for a retirement present.
If you have that for browns, I could use it for blacks; it would be a lot handier.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

A gp100 3" with compac grips and bobbed hammer DA only. danny
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Thxs.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Tycer wrote:
shaman wrote:That was your 180 grain Buffalo Bullet that did that?

Yep. Looks like he hit the foreleg on the on side. Those flat point bullets will send bone frags in a very wide dispersal under the hide if you hit a leg first. If you don't pick up bone on the way, you can eat right up to the hole on cast.
Yep. Lead him just a little too much on the bound :oops: . Caught the ball joint square on rather the heart-lung I was hoping he'd jump into.

Here's an unfired bullet similar to the Buffalo Bore just for observation sake:

I load my own equivalent to the BB load. It hits 1800fps from my Rossi & 1200 from my 2.5" SP101

As for "eating up to the hole" - absolutely. Below is a "state park depredation" fawn (does & fawns only) that I shot at about 50yds. Unlike the one cratered by the shoulder hit, this one went just under 20 yds. Not my best shot (weird angle) but no meat lost.

In:
Out:
In:
Lung:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Joe S.
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Joe S. »

Dont listen to these guys. You need a 300 Win Mag minimum to kill deer with!!

I may have a couple mags i would trade for that old crusty Marlin so i can deer hunt with it. Er. I mean, target practice. Yea. Thats what i meant!!

I have seen my dad roll a running doe at 50 yards with a 4" Smith revolver, not to mention countless deer that rode home on his 3 wheeler rack when i was growing up. Got to where we asked him not to take the gun when he went to check fences or on the cattle, in hopes he wouldnt kill another deer and we could eat hamburger for a change. (Spoiled kids! Lol). I have killed a deer with his 357 Winchester. Have yet to take one with MY Marlin but i KNOW it will. That is a GREAT DEER RIFLE!! And a joy to shoot to boot!! Id say ya done good.
Joe S.
Central MS
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I dusted a nice deer this year with my 357 marlin. Buffalo bore and double tap make great hard hitting ammo if you don't reload. I like the ranch dog 195 grain hard cast or the 180 grain xtp's.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I won't clutter up all this good advise with more, I think we all know the ol 3-5-7 will do the job. I'll just say my howdy doudy and welcome you aboard.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Welcome, that 357 in a lever action is a dandy deer gun. Just follow the above advice and you are well on your way.