Anyone in the western Ct area?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Anyone in the western Ct area?

Post by Malamute »

Anyone have suggestions on how a woman in western CT could get a chance to learn about various guns, long guns and handguns, and perhaps get a chance to shoot a bit? She's shot a little, but would like to get a better idea of whats available and how they feel. She's interested in hunting at some point, but wants to learn more before deciding what to buy.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anyone in the western Ct area?

Post by Pete44ru »

Maybe, if she went to a game dinner after the holidays, she can have some conversations with the other attendee's about her aspirations - I'm sure there'll be a volunteer or three, willing to help her out.

She might be able to get info on same at a local funshop.

Alternatively, having met the proprieter, I would think if she visited Tony Galazan & Connecticut Shotgun in New Britain. she'd get good advice there.

Here's the directions to find the showroom, about a mile off Rte 84: http://www.connecticutshotgun.com/Showroom.html

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Thanks for the info, I'll relay it.

I hesitated to suggest just walking into a gun shop or just showing up at a range. It seems waaaay too many guys suddenly get a terminal case of testosterone poisoning (with attendant shutdown of brain function) when a woman asks about guns. Much advice from average gun shop commandos and range ninjas is also vastly lacking in practical application also.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

try Friends of the NRA or local gun club or fish and game club
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

That tickled my memory: My state (RI) has a Hunter Education/Safety (free) mandate, before anybody excepting ex-military needs to attend before qualifying for a hunting license - Does CT ?

If so, she could register online & attend a CT HE/S class, where I'm sure she can obtain direction (most HE/S classes are held @ a gunclub by NRA instructors).

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Malamute wrote:Thanks for the info, I'll relay it.

I hesitated to suggest just walking into a gun shop or just showing up at a range. It seems waaaay too many guys suddenly get a terminal case of testosterone poisoning (with attendant shutdown of brain function) when a woman asks about guns. Much advice from average gun shop commandos and range ninjas is also vastly lacking in practical application also.
A LOT of truth in that! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

She might try finding someone who is interested in guns, and is female, for a start. A trip to a local police/sheriff station might net her the name of a deputy who is female and would talk to her and perhaps recommend a specific gun-shop contact, range-master, or fellow cop.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I dunno, 'bout that - in my experience, the majority of Southern New England LEO's are not gun enthusiasts, and merely regard their handgun as a tool of the trade (even though they have mandatory qualification).

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

She said the only person she knows that hunts or has guns is a married guy whose wife probably wouldnt think going shooting with him was that great of an idea.