OT - Marlin Rimfires

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

OT - Marlin Rimfires

Post by cnjarvis »

Well folks, it's my daughter's birthday time again and I've promised her a 22 rifle. Silly me, I know...

I took her to a local gunshop and let her handle the levers, bolts and semi-autos to see which she liked best. As it turns out, she likes the bolts so that's what she's gonna get.

I've narrowed it down to one I think: The Marlin 981T

Do any of us have one of these? Accuracy & reliability reports? I'm leaning toward this one b/c I don't like the box magazines on the 980 - difficult to extract and only holds 7.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I have no experience with that rifle, but my experience with Marlin is they stand behind their product. Put a 3x9 Simmons on it and it'll be a lot of fun on the cheap.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have no experience with that model, but for my son's first gun I did also pick a .22 bolt action without a box magazine. At the time Marlin made a wood-stocked youth model called the "Little Buckaroo", model 15YN. I am not sure if they still make it.

Even with it being a youth model, the length of pull was too long for him (probably having something to do with him starting, in earnest, to shoot it before he was 5! :wink: ).

I got a second stock from Marlin, and trimmed it down to fit his frame. I added some brass black powder furntiture to it, and he asked that I decorate it like an indian trade rifle, which he'd seen pictures of.

He is extremely accurate with this gun! I can not say enough good things about this gun or Marlin!!! :D

His little sister started shooting it over the summer, so over Christmas I picked up a Western Auto Supply rifle - a store brand Marlin - and refinished it for her. She's set!

Good for you on getting your daughter a gun and teaching her how to shoot it. Let us know what you end up picking up! :D
Last edited by Ysabel Kid on Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I started my boys out a few years back with a Marlin 15YN 'Buckaroo' which is a single shot, short stocked version of the Marlin rimfire bolt action.

Accurate and reliable ......what more could you ask for.

Wm

P.S. I am going to hang onto it for another couple decades....grandchildren doncha know.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Wow Kid....great minds really do think a like!!!

:roll:

Wm
SMP
Levergunner

Post by SMP »

I have the 81TS,same rifle as the 81T.It is fantastic .22,accurate,reliable and fun.For a budget priced .22 you cannot go wrong with the 81T.HTH.
Original Leverguns forum member since 11/09/2003
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Thanks guys, I think that settles it. I may even paint the stock pink for her. :wink:

I've been happy with my Marlin M60 that I bought when I was 16. It's not exactly a tack-driver but it isn't awful either.

I bought her a red ryder BB gun for her 8th B-day and she has been shooting my dad's (now mine) Win. M67 and loves it. She'd like to have it but I won't let go of it.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I have no experience with that model, but for my son's first gun I did also pick a .22 bolt action without a box magazine. At the time Marlin made a wood-stocked youth model called the "Little Buckaroo", model 15YN. I am not sure if they still make it.

Even with it being a youth model, the length of pull was too long for him (probably having something to do with him starting, in earnest, to shoot it before he was 5! :wink: ).

I got a second stock from Marlin, and trimmed it down to fit his frame. I added some brass black powder furntiture to it, and he asked that I decorate it like an indian trade rifle, which he'd seen pictures of.

He is extremely accurate with this gun! I can not say enough good things about this gun or Marlin!!! :D

His little sister started shooting it over the summer, so over Christmas I picked up a Western Auto Supply rifle - a store brand Marlin - and refinished it for her. She's set!

Good for you on getting your daughter a gun and teaching her how to shoot it. Let us know what you end up picking up! :D

My kids were too small for the Marlin as well at first. Its a full sized action in a shorter stock. My second son I got a Crickit, its the same as a Chipmunk & truly is a childs gun. Its a very tiny action & with the small stock I think a 4 year old could shoulder it. I know a 5 year old could. I liked too that you need to cock it manually. The Marlins cock on opening.

Anyhow, any gun is great if it gets a kid into shooting.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have it in my head that I want one of the Marlin Levermatics but I'm going to be particular.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson