Need help with Winchester94AE issue

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
nazman44
Levergunner

Need help with Winchester94AE issue

Post by nazman44 »

I have an older Win 94 AE. When I have to unload the rifle (as in coming in from the hunting field), the last cartridge gets hung up and won't eject. Could this be the result of an old magazine spring?

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

Nazman
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Need help with Winchester94AE issue

Post by pwl44m »

Welcome to the forum. Is the last round coming out of the mag tube. When U say eject I'm thinking from the chamber. I seriously doubt Ur mag spring is weak from age. U will get some more welcomes and tips and pointers.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Never had that happen, but welcome to the forum. Some of the guys on here are old enough they remember when Winchesters first came out, so one will likely know the answer.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

nazman44 wrote:I have an older Win 94 AE. When I have to unload the rifle (as in coming in from the hunting field), the last cartridge gets hung up and won't eject. Could this be the result of an old magazine spring?
Thanks for any help you might be able to give.
Nazman
Image and Welcome to THE Forum.

It depends on where it's getting "hung up". If it won't come out of the magazine, it could the mag spring... or it could be a poorly finished spring cover (loading gate), a dirty magazine that doesn't let the spring generate full force on any rounds past a certain point or, one of a few other items; if the round is in the chamber, generally speaking, that would be indicative of a broken ejector spring, not magazine; as there isn't another round on the carrier to push the extracted round off the extractor.
AJMD429 wrote:Never had that happen, but welcome to the forum. Some of the guys on here are old enough they remember when Winchesters first came out, so one will likely know the answer.
Since you're old enough to remember it also... I'll let it slide... this time!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
nazman44
Levergunner

Post by nazman44 »

The round comes out of the magazine tube, but the lifter doesn't lift it to slide into the chamber. All the other rounds chamber correctly but the last one. My thought was that the magazine spring doesn't push the round back with enough force to engage the lifter, which is why I thought a new spring might solve the problem.

Nazman44
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

If the carrier doesn't lift the round then the carrier must be broke. There's a tab on the carrier that fits in the bolt, and as the bolt is pushed to the rear it pivots the carrier to raise it. Why it would work on all the other rounds, but the last one might indicate that you may have a broken carrier spring.

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

How hard are U working the lever, sounds like Ur being too gentle. Some carriers won't snap unless a little force is used. Follow completely through with the lever and all the way forward.
Is part of that last round still in the mag tube ?
Perry
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I will disagree with the idea that they need to be worked sharply. If that's the case, something is wrong.

Reading this, several things come to mind. First thing to do is remove the magazine cap, spring and follower and clean them and the inside of the tube. See if that works before proceding.

The magazine spring may be bad, (I had a Browning 92 mag spring go bad, though it still worked), it may have the wrong magazine follower in it (from a Marlin), unless you know it hasn't been changed and the gun used to work fine before. Griffs thought of the carrier spring also may be accurate.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Ur absolutely right, if He has to work the lever too hard to get the carrier to come up something is wrong. That is what We r trying to fix. I've seen more than one that took that last little effort to get the lifter up. That might not even be what He is experiencing, it was just a thought to help diagnose His problem.
Perry
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

No biggy Perry, I was just mentioning that since I occasionally see folks say that they have to be worked briskly all the time, and seem to feel its normal. I misread the meaning of your post, thinking you may have felt it was normal.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

No, not normal but it happens a lot. Take this Rossi 92 I just picked up. Sometimes the lifter pops right up and sometimes it requires a little extra effort. We all know how finish is these days - Ur not spose to use these Guns just buy them. If they all worked as intended NKJ would be out of a job(in this area anyhow) :lol:
This is one of those probs that might be hard to explain by someone not well versed in the mechanics of a Levergun, We still don't know exactly what is going on. ie. is the round coming out of the mag tube, is the round chambering but won't extract, is the round extracting but won't eject. Maybe I'm just super dense but it's not clear to Me yet.
Perry
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I figgered out Ur problem, U forgot to post pictures of Ur Levergun. How r We spose to diagnose Ur prob without pics. :lol:
Perry
nazman44
Levergunner

Post by nazman44 »

Pwl44m,

I thought about that as well and made sure I work the lever firmly. That didn't make a difference.

.Nazman44
nazman44
Levergunner

Post by nazman44 »

Answers to some of the questions posed here:
The last round comes out of the magazine tube and lands on the lifter, but the lifter doesn't lift it up, so I can't chamber it. I have to actually reach into the receiver and pry the round out, after which the lifter lifts up.

Nazman44
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Will it not lift the last round up because the end of the bullet is still in the mag tube? If so I would think a complete dismantling of the mag tube and a good scrubbing is in order. Could be crud not letting the mag plug come to the end of the tube to push the last round clear of the tube. Pics of the situation help a lot. Worth a 1000 words as they say.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

IF the lifter will lift the previous cartridges but not the last one, then problem cannot be the lifter or spring.

It has to be something else.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Premature ejectulation..................... :mrgreen:

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

nazman44 wrote:Answers to some of the questions posed here:
The last round comes out of the magazine tube and lands on the lifter, but the lifter doesn't lift it up, so I can't chamber it. I have to actually reach into the receiver and pry the round out, after which the lifter lifts up.

Nazman44
Its not clear what you mean by "pry it out". Pry it out of what?

nazman44
Levergunner

Post by nazman44 »

The carrier stays down and the round lies there until I put my finger in the receiver and pry it out. At that point, the carrier lifts up, but I still have to play with the round to get it out.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Just a thought: Remove the magazine's end cap screw, end cap & magazine spring - then tap/slide out the magazine follower from the tube, for an examination of it's central/nose area.

There may very well be something amiss with the follower, like the wrong type installed @ the factory - which would affect the positioning of only the last cartridge from the magazine vis-a-vis the lifter/carrier.

When the magazine has more than a single cartridge in it, the loaded shells drive the exiting cartridge fully onto the lifter, but I believe the misfeed is because the last cartridge is driven only be the follower.

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

nazman44 wrote:The carrier stays down and the round lies there until I put my finger in the receiver and pry it out. At that point, the carrier lifts up, but I still have to play with the round to get it out.

Still not understanding what you mean by "pry it out". Do you mean pulling it farther towards the rear, still laying flat on the carrier, or lifting the nose of the cartridge from the carrier to stand vertical in the action? The first thing that comes to mind from "pry it out" sounds like you mean completely remove the cartridge from the action, but you then said you had to play around with it to get the cartridge out. I guess my question is pry it out of what? Or how?

Pictures would go miles in helping understand the problem better.