The Savage model 340

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

The Savage model 340

Post by getitdone1 »

My first high-powered or center-fire rifle was a Winchester model 94 carbine. The year was 1962.

My second center-fire and first bolt-action center-fire was a Springfield model ???. Someone here can tell me the model number, I'm sure. Anyway it was the same as the Savage 340.

One heck of a lot of gun for the money and chambered for the 222 Remington. I put a Weaver 4X on it.

Wonder how many of you have or have had this gun? It was also chambered in 30-30, 223 Remington and 225 Winchester and even the Hornet. Oh, and also the 250 Savage ctg.

I may buy another one but chambered for the 223. Would bring back some nice memories.

They stopped making this gun many years ago but easy to find them on the internet.

Here's some pictures of it:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... 840558#PIC

Don
BrentD

Re: The Savage model 340

Post by BrentD »

My dad bought the .30-30 version of it after a bear broke in. Never used it on a bear, but many decades later, I killed a doe antelope with it using iron sights. They were decent rifles for the money. Not very strong actions, or so I have been told, but they did the job well.
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

Had a friend growing up who had one in .225 Winchester.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

I have a 340C manufactured in 1953. It's a 222 Remington and wears a Weaver K10. Gun will shoot 5-shot 1" groups at 100 yards all day long, with anything put through it. Years ago, I had its progenitor, the Stevens 325, the 30-30 with a butter-knife bolt handle and 22" barrel. Handled like a lever action carbine. I also had a late 340 in 225 Winchester, which was an honest 250-yard woodchuck gun. I never really trusted it, however, as I thought the 225 was pushing the design a little (single locking lug, questionable gas handling - I shoot a long gun left handed...). I loaded it down a bit. Note should be made that early guns were not drilled an tapped for a scope mount. The C was the first, I think. These guns require a side mount since the receiver bridge is split; they remind me of a poor man's Krag.

I do like these guns in their earlier iterations. Most have walnut stocks and the fit and finish put a lot of new high priced guns to shame. Savage made them in a bewildering number of house brands (Getitdone, I think the Springfield was a Model 840). Savage did offer a deluxe version back in the 50's with a checkered stock and sling swivels. The 250-3000 (250 Savage to you young guys) was not offered in the 340.

An interesting point is the fact that the Stevens 325 introduced the barrel nut method of barrel fitment so dear to the barrel-switching Savage boys today. I think the 340 guns are sleepers (especially the older ones), but I can see that people are beginning to get wise.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Saw a 340 at Cabela's a few weeks in 225 Win. Theywanted $399 for it with Weaver side mount and rings and cheap scope.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

I had one in 222 many years ago but sold it. I wish I could remember why. It was an accurate rifle.
Well done is better than well said.
Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Glenn »

I have had three, now have two, a 30-30 and a 222. As mentioned the 222 is easily sub-MOA. The 30-30 makes a decent deer rifle and you can use pointed bullets if you want, and can find some made for those velocities. The SSP bullets (single shot pistol) if still made would be a good choice. And yes, the prices have gone way up from 15 years ago.
Glenn
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

The action of the 340 was obviously 'strong enough' for the cartridges for which it was chambered.
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by QCI Winchesters »

C.I.L. sold them in Canada , under their name. They had a nicer stock, more trim with no cheek piece. Fixed up one for a fellow a few years ago using pieces of a 340 and a C.I.L.
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I sold mine in 222 because the trigger was terrible. It was weird designed trigger in which there was nothing that could be done with it. I looked for and aftermarket one but there was nothing. It shot good but with a better trigger it would of shot great.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I was given one in 30-30 by my father in-law and it was a honest 1 inch at 100 yard rifle. I cut a coil or two off the trigger spring and it was much better.
When dad gave it two me he said my son doesn't hunt or shoot so a few years latter my brother in-law took up hunting and I gave it to him. He got robbed and it was taken.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Jayhawker wrote:I had one in 222 many years ago but sold it. I wish I could remember why. It was an accurate rifle.
If your 222was like mine, it bulged the case head badly. Had a friend that wanted to take 1/2" off and rechamber it for me. Think I sold mine to get a 357 BH.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I have a .222 that my dad bought in the late 70's, we killed a lot of chucks with that rifle.
I regret not picking up one of the many 30-30's "just because" that I ran across over the years when I would find them for $125-$150.

Earlier this year I sold a .22 Hornet for someone. It was a family members gun that passed, and though I tried to justify buying it myself, even the .222 just sits now, so I couldn't lie to myself enough to keep the Hornet.
Slow is just slow.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have that exact rifle with a Weaver 10 power scope from the same era in a side mount. It has been my truck gun for years. Any prairie dog within 200 yards or so is meat in the pan. :D
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

A late friend had one of that Savage design in .30-30 that he used every year on deer, with cast boolit handloads.

I remember how I met him - He was stuck in the woods, deer hunting after a boolit remained in the chamber throat when he was unloading the rifle prior to leaving the woods. (of course, he dumped the powder throughout the action when the case was withdrawn :o )
I was nearby, and happened to have a collapsible cleaning rod in my vehicle to pop out the boolit for him.

He was just beginning handloading back then, and had failed to crimp his loads - but we were able to start a friendship afterwards, and that's why his 325/340 stuck in my memory.

BTW - here's an info website, about the guns: http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun%20A ... t_act.html

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DennisB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DennisB »

Across the room from where I’m typing this in my home office there are 4 Savage 340s, all 30-30s. A 340, 340A, 340B, and 340C. Good solid rifles with acceptable accuracy, decent sights and manageable triggers. The Dockendorff rear sight combined with a sourdough front sight that came out on the original 340s were a good set of irons.

Took my first deer with a borrowed 340 a few moons ago......been partial to em since.

Dennis.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

My Dad started his deer hunting career with one of these back in the very early 60's.
His was also chambered in the triple-deuce. He used it successfully for a few years.
He eventually caved into the "that's not a deer rifle" mentality.
He then traded it in on a model 94 in .32 spl.
He promptly had a couple of bad experiences with the 94.
He then traded the 94 in on a Remington Gamemaster in
30-06 and never looked back.
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Win94 »

Owned three during different times of my life all in .30-.30. Sold or traded them. They were never a keeper in terms of what I look for in a rifle....
"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne -
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Both my Dad and my brother had .30 WCF Savage 340's. Economical, handy little rifles and fine for the shooting distances that the family farms in Sullivan Co., NY allowed. My dad bought his in the early-mid 1950's at Schmidt's general store, North branch, NY. He walked in paid the money and walked out with it -- those were the days! My late brother always wanted a M94 Winchester, but never could get the money for one. As he said even back in 1959-60 "they were not cheap". However, in the late 1980's, he did managed to by a 1927 .32 Special 1894 from a co-worker who sold his deceased father's firearms very cheaply. My nephew now has it. I keep telling him that a rifle that old is unsafe and he should send it to me for proper disposal....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

They seem to be a cult rifle now and often sell for $450+!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Hobie: I think you're right. Same thing with the Remington Model 8 and 81.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I have always wanted, and continue to keep my eyes open for this model in 225 Winchester at a good price. Preferably with the scope mount or a scope, but I'd like a good deal on the rifle. The two together just call to me for some reason... No interest in a Win 70 in that caliber, nor the Savage 340 in any other caliber. Don't know why, it just struck me as the right combo one day and it stuck.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Bob Hatfield
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bob Hatfield »

Here is one from a few years ago I attempted to sell. So old there is no serial number. Just says Savage Model 340 (in 30-30). Doesn't have scope mount holes on the side either.

Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Bob, that 340 you picture has a much nicer stock than most!

As far as I know, the 340 was never made in .250-3000 Savage. You're probably thinking of the earlier Savage Model 40 (not the recent one) and 45, which looked a little like the 340 but had a longer action that was chambered for the .30-06, .300 Savage, .250-3000, and .30-30.

The 340 was perfectly OK for most of the cartridges it was factory chambered for except the .225 Win. Lots of people had issues with that chambering and it was never popular. Seemed to be pushing the design just a little TOO far.

Neat rifles, made for ordinary people.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

i bought one of these for my son,in 30-30, years ago. he is a bolt/auto guy, don't get it.
the thing frustrates he and i both, because of light primer strikes. me because i
load for it , him because it does not fire. i found using federal primers helps with
the reliability , but wish it would behave better. i have had it apart several times
and everything seems to work properly , but still light strikes. oh well, another project.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

In 1947 Savage came out with the Stevens Model 325 which was manufactured until 1951 at which time the bolt handle was changed and the same gun marketed as the Savage 340.
I have a Stevens 325 in 30-30 and I shoot and hunt with it regularly.
These are great rifles.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Found this one online, .222.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob Hatfield
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bob Hatfield »

That looks more like a 362436 caliber!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Looks like a Sherwin shooting sports calendar model.
http://www.sherwinshootingsports.com/index.htm
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

casastahle wrote:Looks like a Sherwin shooting sports calendar model.
http://www.sherwinshootingsports.com/index.htm
I think she is actually the co-owner of Sherwin Shooting Sports.
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Another, same girl, same rifle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Nice rifle....
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Nice responses to this/my post. Seems this gun gives pleasant memories to lots of guys, including myself.

I remember being out groundhog hunting with a couple of friends and at about 150 yds we spot a fox running and I connect with him on the 3rd shot while they each fired 1 shot. I mention this mainly to express my appreciation for the rather large bolt handle and a pretty slick action thus helping to make those 3 shot in a hurry. The old .222 Remington didn't have quite the power of the later .223 but it nearly always did a fine job on varmints.

Appears the 30-30 chambering for this gun was very popular according to many of your posts. I'm guessing it and the .222 Remington were the most popular.

Could be wrong but believe I read the 250 Savage didn't last too long for this gun. Little too much for the gun design. I think that's what I read. Someone mentioned the .225 Winchester was a little too much for this gun design and I'll bet that's true.

Don
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

I might be bonkers, but I seem to recall seeing one in .222 Rem. Mag. I have seen a couple in .222 that had excessive headspace, and a few with broken extractors. Never seen a .30-30 with issues, though.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Been trying to find-out if the Savage model 340 was chambered in the 250 Savage. Believe I was wrong to say it was and appears the model 20, and maybe the model 40 were. Model 20 for sure and here's a picture of that neat little rifle.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/991194274/VE ... _RIFLE.htm#

I'm guessing the model 20 and 40 were the forerunners of the model 340. Is this correct?

Don't believe the model 20 can have a scope mounted on it but maybe could with custom mounts.

I'd like to see the progression of Savage bolt guns from the early 1900s to the present.

Don
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Yes, the 20 was for sure, and the 40. Chambered for .250 that is. Never seen or heard of a 340 in .250 though. A friend has a Model 40 in .300 Sav.
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Model 20 is a true short-Mauser action; 40/45/340 are all a different system. They work but they're not Mausers, and generally don't have the locking strength of Mauser-type bolts. Hence the problems with the 340 in .225 Win and the 40/45 in .30-06. Savage apparently never tried the 40/45 in .270 Win. for this reason, even tho it was a very popular chambering then.
dakman
Levergunner

Post by dakman »

I have a 340 in 22 Hornet with a 6X Leupold cope on a Weaver side mount. Not much to look at but super accurate. One inch or less groups at 100 yards. Very good for a Hornet. I have shot many varmints with it. :)

Mark
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Post by carbluesnake »

I had a 340 in .22 Hornet. I glass bedded the action and it shot 1/2" groups at 100 yds. with 9.5gr. 2400 and a 45 gr. bullet. A great gun. Wish I had never sold it.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Killed my first buck with a 340 in 30-30 when I was 11 years old, Florida Canyon, Santa Rita Mtns.

My oldest brother made me gut it and drag it down the canyon to the truck by myself,while he continued on hunting, I remember him saying as he was walking a way " It's just a big rabbit"

----J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I've had these as well -- two in .30 WCF and one in .22 Hornet. Nice little rifles, triggers not so much.
I think I end up with them because I feel sorry for them.