Good season for me and Kate.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ScottT
Shootist

Good season for me and Kate.

Post by ScottT »

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Very nice. Congrats. I'd certainly say all that practice with "Kate" has paid off, handsomely. In game, you still appear the same. :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Nice! How come you kilt that garden snake? :wink:
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Yeah Griff, I need to work on that. I walk 2 1/2 miles each night now at a pretty brisk pace and in boots. But I don't seem to be losing any weight.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Tycer wrote:Nice! How come you kilt that garden snake? :wink:
I would have killed him anyway, but when I went to step on him to cut his head off, that son of a gun tried to bite me! In front of witnesses! The nerve!

So I went back for Kate and finished him off.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

No worries, my doc chided me, seems I went from a svelte 180 to a rather chucky 220 in less than 6 months... I told 'im it was an ethnic thing... I just can't say NO to a potatoe! He then reminded me, I wasn't Irish! :cry:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Welcome back Scott, back in February every time I drove through Castroville I thought about you wondering how you were doing. I'm sure there's plenty more chapters to be written about "Big Nose Kate" and can't wait to read them. Take care.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

GANJIRO wrote:Welcome back Scott, back in February every time I drove through Castroville I thought about you wondering how you were doing. I'm sure there's plenty more chapters to be written about "Big Nose Kate" and can't wait to read them. Take care.
Thanks, I am currently working on 300yd shots just to show it can be done with open iron sights. Not easy mind you, but it can be done and the market hunters did it regularly. I am playing with light and shadow now.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

way to go cowboy...nice buck....
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Scott -

I was going through Kate withdraw pretty bad - thanks for sparing me!!! :D
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

Very Good Year Indeed!
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Scott -

I was going through Kate withdraw pretty bad - thanks for sparing me!!! :D
Sorry about that. I just got fed up with political bickering and Lent came along and gave me an excuse to spend more time on more important things.

I'll probably not post near as much as I used to though.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Nice indeed :D !Thanks for posting.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good to hear ya again friend, "300yd shots", boy I'd have to do some zig zaging running from you wouldn't I :lol:
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Glad to see you back Scott. You were missed.

A set of shades fer yer sights might help some with yer shootin. I made mine out of a piece of 1" copper pipe split lengthwise. It makes the bullet impact quit chasing the sun.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Cool.

What is the brand of outer wear you have on? Looks to be insulated, yes?

It is good to hear from you.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Hobie wrote:Cool.

What is the brand of outer wear you have on? Looks to be insulated, yes?

It is good to hear from you.
Those are some Carharts that I have had for better than 10 years. I would throw them away, but I just cannot wear them out!!!!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

ScottT wrote: I am currently working on 300yd shots just to show it can be done with open iron sights. Not easy mind you, but it can be done and the market hunters did it regularly. I am playing with light and shadow now.
Scott, I'll look forward to your report. I love seeing fellows demonstrating what can be done with iron sights.

A couple days ago, there was another fellow at the range practicing with his rifle. He had a pretty nice scope on that rifle and he was practicing at 50 yards and getting 1.5" three-shot groups from a resting position. He was pretty happy about that, but given the scope on his rifle, I did wonder why he didn't try 100 yard shots. Meanwhile, I was blasting away beside him at a 100 yard target with 30-30 carbine with open iron sights. A lot of fellows don't realize what they can do at the longer ranges with practice. Of course, I realize that a lot of fellows on this board shoot at 50 yards because that is the maximum their range provides and that is a different story. My range only permits shooting up to 200 yards, so I'm afraid I won't be getting much 300 yard practice in unless I build a range on my own land, which is what I'm planning to do when time permits. Keep us posted on your 300 yard trials.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Looking good Scott T. :)
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Nice buck Scott, and I'd say hit where he was he probably toppled right over. I like that spot real well myself.

I'm fiddling with Jeff's Outfitters' 'Winchester Ladder Sight' on a 99 Savage at the moment, at a shade over 200. My old eyes don't do real well with black-on-white bulls but I can still see/hit objects pretty well. Keep us posted on the 300-yard stuff. I've got one stretch where I can shoot that far, when everything's just right.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Neither one of these deer went far. The top one dropped in his tracks and the 10 point went maybe 20yds. The snake did not get far either!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Good work. Much better then my season.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

Great Post Scott I alwasy like seeing any thing Kate has done NICE BUCK
Please refresh my memory without me trying to research a lot of back posts on your load .
Last I recall I THOUGHT it was a 530 Grain Cast with B/P but I may be mistaken Havnt shot my sharps in a while, fooling with others in the last year, but I have been getting the urge and want to try a different laod in mine .
Appreciate any help
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Bluehawk wrote:Great Post Scott I alwasy like seeing any thing Kate has done NICE BUCK
Please refresh my memory without me trying to research a lot of back posts on your load .
Last I recall I THOUGHT it was a 530 Grain Cast with B/P but I may be mistaken Havnt shot my sharps in a while, fooling with others in the last year, but I have been getting the urge and want to try a different laod in mine .
Appreciate any help
Thank you for the kind words.

I shoot a Lyman Gov't bullet cast 30-1 lead to tin over 70gr of GOEX Cartridge in Remington cases. I use a CCI BR2 primer and I compress the powder under a .030 vegitable wad deep enough to seat the bullet with all the grease grooves covered.

Nothing fancy and it will go a little over 1100 fps out of my 26 inch barrel. But it is hard to argue with the results. Try it out and let me know how it works for you.

Best regards,

Scott
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Scott

Nice pics as always. I see you are planning a Buff hunt with Big Nose Kate. Will you place your shot/s with the same thinking, on the shoulder when broadside, between the shoulders when on an angle?. I am going after a meat Buff with my 45-90 Sharps and was wondering your opinion based on the performance you have seen. I have heard many say shoot just aft (behind) the near shoulder, others say shoot low for the heart. Being the largest NA game animal, was wondering your thoughts on shooting the shoulder of the bison.

thanks
Blessings

mike
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

rjohns94 wrote:Scott

Nice pics as always. I see you are planning a Buff hunt with Big Nose Kate. Will you place your shot/s with the same thinking, on the shoulder when broadside, between the shoulders when on an angle?. I am going after a meat Buff with my 45-90 Sharps and was wondering your opinion based on the performance you have seen. I have heard many say shoot just aft (behind) the near shoulder, others say shoot low for the heart. Being the largest NA game animal, was wondering your thoughts on shooting the shoulder of the bison.

thanks
Blessings

mike
Thanks Mike, I have to tell you up front that I have never shot a buffalo and I don't know right now where I would shoot one. I would like to use Kate on a buffalo one day, and when I do, I will probably have to study their anatomy more.

On a deer, I try to imagine a ball, somewhat smaller than a soccer ball, in the chest and I place my shots to intersect that ball. I like the high shoulder shot because it seems to work best with cast bullets at moderate velocities. For example, this deer was shot with a .44 spl handgun with a 250gr Keith bullet over 7.5gr of Unique. Probably just under 1000 fps at the muzzle and the shot was taken at about 60 yards. He dropped in his tracks.

I shot this doe with Kate. Similar placement at about 120yds. Dropped in her tracks:
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

Thanks Scott for the quick reply I wanted to be sure because mine is a 26 IN barrel also and knowing your success with the BP I wanted to try to do the same thing
I have shot BP in this gun before but not without a lot of unburned powder I think the answer may lie in your using a much heavier bullet in YOurs than I had used in the past .
I have a number of Lyman Postells 530 grainers alreaddy sitting aorund with SPG lube on them so IM set to try something new Ill let you inow how that works Thanks again
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

My rifle does not shoot any 300-400gr bullet that I have tried well. It definitely prefers the longer, nose-riding bullets.

It shoots 20-1 about as well as 30-1 and I really cannot tell the difference on paper. On game, the 30-1 is a better deal. I often wonder if I could get by with 40-1.

Wife and kid are gone to Dallas for the rest of the week, I will probably heat up the pot tonight, put on some country music and make some bullets before it gets too darn hot. :D