What does your Marlin/Winchester 30/30 group look like?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

What does your Marlin/Winchester 30/30 group look like?

Post by Blackhawk »

I shot my 336 that I picked up a week or so ago. It was made in '76. Shooting from a rest. It did not like the 160gr Hornady's. They shot a 3 inch group at 50 yds. It did however seem to like the Winchester 170gr silver tips and shot 1 1/2 group at 50 yds. I have a 4-12x40 scope mounted on it right now. Is this typical groups yall get? It was gusting wind pretty good but I don't know fast. I haven't shot anything but those two cartridges thru it so far. Maybe the Remington Core-Lokts will group better.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What does your Marlin/Winchester 30/30 group look like?

Post by TedH »

I don't have a Winchester 30-30 right now, but I do have some Marlins, and they wear 2-7x scopes. Without tuning a handload, I think about 3 inches at 100 yards is average. With favorite handloads 2 inches isn't difficult. Then I get the occasional bragging group of an inch or less, but I don't consider that to be the true nature of the rifles. A gusting wind can turn a great load @ 100 yards into one you wouldn't try shooting again too.
NRA Life Member
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I too no longer own a 30/30.
My best was a crossbolt safety trapper 94 from the nineties and that scoped would just about stay under 2" with handloads.
I traded it for a 366 and never got it than 4" at 100 scoped!
My last ae a 2000 tang safety trapper was useless! Constant fliers. Tried everything and eventually gave up. The only thing I did not do was relieve the pressure the lever had on the bolt when the action was closed! My ae 357 I have done that to after noticing the same issue as my last ae in 30/30 and that shoots!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I once shot another fellows 336 that would shoot right at 1" at 100 yards with factory ammo. He and I both shot groups in that range with that rifle, so it wasn't one lucky group. I've never seen another Marlin or Winchester that accurate though. My current 336 shoots 2" to 3" with ammo it likes. I'm happy with that from a lever action. I should add that's with a 3-9x scope.
Last edited by JB on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Hmmm. Ok. So it sounds like at 50 yds shooting a 1 1/2 group don't sound too bad. My Winchester 307 will shoot an inch with several different grains of bullets.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

When I put my Marlins and Winchesters together, it is a beautiful group . . .

:lol:
Last edited by 7.62 Precision on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Not a 30-30 but it is a Marlin. I now have it's big brother .338 MXLR. :D . I would expect any decent Marlin 30-30 to do the same.http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... 98#p429598
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

First, I used a 32x scope (I do this on nearly ALL new firearms I purchase) to see the potential 100 yard capability of the used Marlin 30-30 I bought a few years ago. It liked the factory ammo on the right. That meant IT would get scoped, and the other (less accurate) one I had would get the aperture sights, since the plan was to scope one and 'peep' the other.

Having done that, I worked with cast 170 grain gas-check bullets and found the 'sweet-spot' (still using the gargantuan 32x BSC scope, with broken windage and elevation adjustments, so you have to pick an 'aiming point' to use it). Once I got the load worked-out, I put a more practical 3-9x scope on it, and it shot quite well. Just for kicks, I loaded up some more of the Winchester factory loads, and shot this 50-yard group. Dunno if I just got something 'settled-in' recoil-wise, or was having an unusually good day, but that IS a five-shot group, though admittedly only at 50 yards.

I'm NOT a particularly good shot, and that was NOT a specially-accurized gun; it was just a used 30-30 from the local gun store. Sometimes they are just great; other times not. One reason to buy and sell lots of them so you can find one that works for YOU.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
1894c

Post by 1894c »

my Glenfield 30A shoots 2.5-3" groups at 100yds but that's with my reloads (170gr. Core-Loc bullet and IMR 3031)...i find it acceptable, especially with a receiver sight...love the .30W.C.F. ... :)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

7.62 Precision wrote:When I put my Marlins and Winchesters together, it is a beautiful group . . .
+1

I tend to not worry too much about group size... I've shot 5"-6" groups with a rifle... then turned around and shot a deer or coyote with that same gun & load. A year or so ago I loaded up some 150gr GCFPs to test the standard roll-crimp from a RCBS die set, against the same load & bullet using a Lee FCD (factory crimp die)... Shot two groups from the prone position off crossed sticks. Neither group was ANYTHING to even admit to, let alone brag about. Yet, they were close enough that I wouldn't draw any conclusion, except that I shouldn't have been shooting that day.

I used the same rifle and those same loads a few weeks later in some informal shooting on steel @ ranges that varied from 50 to 250 yards. Targets ranged in size from 10" squares and diamonds up close to ½ life-size bears and ¼ life-size buffalos for the farther distances... 10 hits out of 10 shots. And that was standing, offhand.

Whenever I've been disappointed with a levergun, before I get disgusted, I take all the furniture and magazine accrutements off and shoot it as a single-shot. That, on occasion, has been a real eye-opener! I've found that forends and bands can dramatically impact the barrel harmonics. Getting rid of the interference can be a real challenge!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I use a 3" Shoot-n-See at 100yds for all of my 'hunting' leverguns.

I'm absolutely sure that all of my guns can launch bullets more accurately than I am personally able to shoot, but if I can print a group inside that 3" target consistently, I usually call it good.

I mostly end up with groups in the 1-1/2" - 2" range. But when I occassionally lay shots in groups right on top of each other, I have to admit that I don't object.

I tend to believe that it's me wobbling the POA all over the target, and not the gun.

Like the man said... "Aim small, miss small."

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

FWiedner wrote:I use a 3" Shoot-n-See at 100yds for all of my 'hunting' leverguns.
Yep. I have four gongs at 100 yards (all from Bobcat Steel, so very tough) - a 4", 8", 12" and 16". You can shoot them with 30-06 FMJ or 444 Marlin JSP's without damage.

With a rifle I'd use for deer hunting (mostly pistol-caliber leverguns), I feel I have to be able to hit the 8" one consistently, and if I can hit the 4" most of the time, I feel the gun is plenty adequate. That shooting is with a rest. If I can hit the 12" consistently while standing, and the 8" one most of the time while standing, then even better (but nearly all my deer shooting is where I can use a rest, since I'm sitting in a deerstand).
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Sounds like were all shooting pretty close to the same way. I agree with guns reacting differently to how "well" they are put together. Sometimes just loosing or tightening screws can make a difference. Also, a few years back several members on here explained that it would help to not put your tube on a bag or rest. I put the reciever on the rest only. I let the rest hang. I looked thru my notes last night and my best group was with my 307, .68 from a mic at 50 yds. My range isnt that long, I need to extend it.

Johnny

kevind6
Levergunner

Post by kevind6 »

If I'm being honest 3" to 5" groups at 100 yards are the norm for my pre war 94 with buck horn sights. I have no doubt the gun is capable of tighter groups, but at 100 yards the front bead pretty well masks the entire target. I actually amazed that I can shoot as well as I do with it given the sight limitations. While those in the bench rest crowd may find such a large bullet spread as unacceptable, the bottom line is that the rifle seems to always brings home the game. A deer sized animal out to 200 yards is meat in the freezer.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Most will shoot very nicely when you find the load it likes best.
Here is one of my favorites at 50 yd.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

7.62 Precision wrote:When I put my Marlins and Winchesters together, it is a beautiful group . . .

yeah, I was thinking that I only have two 30-30s, that isn't much of a group.....

I have not shot a gun for groups for about 50 years. I shoot clam shells and kelp heads and starfish, if I can hit them, I can hit anything else. I guess that's the group then, a clam shell. or deer head.

Grizz
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Most will shoot very nicely when you find the load it likes best.
Here is one of my favorites at 50 yd.
Now that I have collected some casting gear for my shotgun I'm interested in what bullets, weights your casting in the picture? Shot any game with them?

Johnny

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Chuck, that is encouraging. I hope to finally start casting this winter so I can shoot more and not be a hostage of bullet production schedules for my centerfires.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Blackhawk , That is the Lyman 311041 bullet that lists at 173 gr. But with my alloy they come in closer to 180 gr. + a little. A very accurate bullet in every .30-30 I have shot it in.

Canuck Bob , Get to it friend. With bullets being rather hard to find these days, having an unlimited supply is a good thing. And they shoot great.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Some days I can get a group like Chucks, the next day im all over the black (maybe)
Ive changed most of the front sights to a skinny size & added a tang or rec. sight
that's helped a lot! but im thinking bout a 243 in a 99 savage & a nice leupold scope

ollogger
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

ollogger wrote:Some days I can get a group like Chucks, the next day im all over the black (maybe)
Ive changed most of the front sights to a skinny size & added a tang or rec. sight
that's helped a lot! but im thinking bout a 243 in a 99 savage & a nice leupold scope

ollogger
Here's a gem of a 99 in .243 for ya Brad :shock: :wink:
http://www.gunsinternational.com/SAVAGE ... =100391484
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Blackhawk , That is the Lyman 311041 bullet that lists at 173 gr. But with my alloy they come in closer to 180 gr. + a little. A very accurate bullet in every .30-30 I have shot it in.
Have you shot those in a .308? They look like a good hunting load.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

casastahle wrote:Here's a gem of a 99 in .243 for ya Brad[/b] :shock: :wink:
Don't laugh, but in a few years, they may ALL be priced like that... :|

(Remember the dirt-cheap M1 Carbines in the sale-barrel at gun stores forty years ago...?)

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

AJMD429 wrote:
casastahle wrote:Here's a gem of a 99 in .243 for ya Brad[/b] :shock: :wink:
Don't laugh, but in a few years, they may ALL be priced like that... :|

(Remember the dirt-cheap M1 Carbines in the sale-barrel at gun stores forty years ago...?)
Unfortunately yes I do. (Bicycle only age though :wink:)
Back in the day there was a local automotive store similar to
Pep Boys that had a rack of them for sale for years.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

My older Glenfield carbine shoots BEST groups with either 170 Grain Power Point ammo by Winchester or 150 grain core-lokt. Typically a 4 inch group at 150 yards when I do my part. Trigger was worked on and action polished up a bit by a skilled smith. I sight in 2 inches high at 100 yards.

Scope is Simmons 2X-8X.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Grizz , I have not tried them in the .308. Although I have two .308`s that are great shooters. I also have other bullet molds that are said to be better in them. It would be worth a try though.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The best ones look like a .75" triangle shot at 100 yds. Federal 170s.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Here are a few Targets , all cast bullets. 100yrds--- 1971 336 micro groove

This one was shot with $7 LB-- WC 820 and 180 Saeco 305

This one was with the RCBS 150 cowboy bullet Plain base and wc-820

The top two were shot with the saeco 305 but with split nose's just to see if they would make the trip. The bottom three are my on going trials with the Hornet with cast.

----J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Grizz , I have not tried them in the .308. Although I have two .308`s that are great shooters. I also have other bullet molds that are said to be better in them. It would be worth a try though.
Thanks Chuck

I have recently renewed my .308 interest and have this crazy idea that 308 is a hopped up hotrodded 30-30....... glad to see your info, I need more die sets...
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

J35nut . Nice shootin pard. It looks like you have that Hornet shootin pretty good too. I have never owned a Hornet but read many times that they can be finicky to get to shoot well.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:J35nut . Nice shootin pard. It looks like you have that Hornet shootin pretty good too. I have never owned a Hornet but read many times that they can be finicky to get to shoot well.
Don't wanna hijack the thread, but J35nut, if you get time to start a thread on the gun/load for that Hornet, it would be an interesting thread...! I have two Hornets (Ruger 77 and Savage 40), and am trying to see which one I like better and then sell the other (and maybe get a 17 Hornet - like I really need one of those :roll: ).
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:J35nut . Nice shootin pard. It looks like you have that Hornet shootin pretty good too. I have never owned a Hornet but read many times that they can be finicky to get to shoot well.
Thanks Chuck you cast a nice looking bullet and it shoots pretty darn good to boot. :)

My Hornet shoots good with cast in the 1750 to 1850 FPS range, above that and things fall apart pretty fast, it is a TC carbine with a 12 twist. I have been trying for two years to get a decent group with the 53 gr 415 above 2000fps, no joy. :(

----J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Groups from my three 30-30’s

My old $40.00 H&R Topper.

The Model 94.

The Marlin 1893

86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I'm not adding much here that hasnt been said. I had a Glenfield that would shoot 150's or 170 into a 1" 100 Yard group. Two Marlin 336's that would do 2.5" groups and favored one bullet much more than others (but each a different favorite). A 1947 Winchester shot Remington 170 grain into 1.5" groups and a 1966 Winchester wouldn't do better than 3" with anything. You didn't ask about Henry's but my octagon barrel rifle shoots M.O.A.5 shot groups @ 100 yds while my Henry round barrel lightweight sporter shoots 2.5" groups and is slightly picky about bullets (but not necessarily bullet weight). I think you have to tinker with one and if it doesn't satisfy your desire no matter what you do, you move it along and try again with another. Shoot before you buy is great if you can make it happen.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member